1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Maybe a stupid question...

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Pam, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Pam

Pam Pup

Ok..up until now I have always had male dogs...so I do not know much about what happens when my dog is in heat...she is only 9 months old and this would be her first time in heat...my question is...do females get bloated or gain any weight while in heat? Ive noticed her belly has gotten a lil bigger than usual..and she hasnt been around any males unattended.

2. AC

AC Big Dog

There's no such thing as a stupid question around here. When my females are in season they don't bloat up or gain weight at all. Sometimes they even eat grass and don't eat all of their feed. It may be because of the temp. I'm guessing it's warm and she's drinking more water than usual? Dunno. Either way keep your eye on her and when she is in heat her vulva will swell up and she will start to bleed within a few days. The average first heat comes in at 6-12 months old.