1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

MMA,Mixed Martial Arts, Wrestling lets have your theory.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bamaman, Apr 3, 2020.

1. R.D.

R.D. Pup

Speculation?
    So I'll say this parrying is taught in all standup martial arts. Parrying punches, parrying kicks, etc
    It has nothing to do glove size. Its a timing technique. Actually parrying with mma gloves almost seems easier. It does have its differences mostly because you can grab. Also known as "catching".
    Catching is parrying but more directional and you can fire back.
    It's all extremely difficult. Definitely a young man with quicker reflexes type of game.

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I think the boxers would do well against take downs form the shoot but not so much from the clinch.

A young Mike Tyson, the kid that moved, had beautiful footwork and never got hit would fare well.

I think most every boxer would get brutalized with leg kicks. Once that front leg is jacked up the MMA stuff rises to the top.

But it is a lot lile the dogs, the more tools you have and the better you are with them, the better off one will be.

The sport has seen more evolution in such a short time than maybe any sport ever.

And to the point most of the fights are now boring for me to watch. Back when Wandelei Silva was in his hey day and even toward the end, that was money well spent. Somebody was going to get KTFO. As the wrestlers inched up and brought the master weight cut things got boring. St. Pierre was one of my favorites til Serra knocked him out. From there he big dogged/smothered his way to wins. For me it was boring.

I like Khabib but he smothers/big dogs in a lot more aggressive nature so I can watch him.

Another analogy for me would be NASCAR. I use to love racing, as we raced dirt cars, and enjoyed going to the races, as well as camped in front of the TV with my Pops. There were differences in the cars, the drivers had personalities and were characters in and off the track. Now everything is cooking cutter. The cars are the same, the drivers would all fit in the same silhouette. Cookie cutter. Boring.

MMA is not there yet but it is leaning in that direction.

S

bamaman and david63 like this.
  3. slim12

I took Karate for about 2 weeks as a 12 year old. After two weeks I could not jump up, spin around and kick some guy in the head. We were still stretching and doing jumping jacks. No patience. I bailed.

When my son started BJJ he was doing really well. He won his first tournament. His was the biggest kid in the group and muscled his way to whatever hold he wanted. His next tournament the same til the final and some kid waxed his ass. I thought he would quit but he beared down. We did the seminars. Drove to other schools and did mat time. he was doing really well.

At a baseball game his team got massacred by the cross town middle school. It was bad. Kids can be brutal and athletic team kids can be even worse. It was bad, and their parents were not stopping them but encouraging and some even participating. This one kid was coming from behind the dug out and really trashing my son while he was catching. I spoke to one of them and that kid's parent said maybe we needed to get better. I agreed but that was not the point.

After the game it got worse. In the exchanges my son left a $300 bat in the dug out, I said go get it. 2 minutes later I heard a roar, one parent yelled at me your son is fighting. I ran about 30 yards and when I got there this kid was screaming Holy Hell as he was in an arm bar. I yelled at him to let go and he didn't so I punched him in his thigh nearly as hard as I could. (I thought my wife was going to kill me). I grabbed him by the jersey and let him have it for thirty yards and just about tossed him in the truck.

Then told him "Screw'em, Hell of a job". Sometimes people get what they ask for.

Babbling. This being isolated shit is leaving me with some time to ponder.

S

bamaman likes this.
  4. david63

david63 CH Dog

Did not UFC buy out pride. I Don't care for Dana White either.I prefer Pride over UFC. I remember Tito Challenging Dana White to a fight Dana acted like a LITTLE BITCH.

5. Euro

Euro Big Dog

bigger gloves mean more area to actually block the punch with, trying to defend your head with 4 oz gloves can easily result in a punch slipping by, because again, they are more than 2 times smaller.
    depending on how severe the situation that led up to this was, maybe the punk deserved to get him arm mangled up

6. david63

david63 CH Dog

I have to agree slim.

7. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

Was our fav
    Old gym friend of me trained BJ Penn for the stand up work way back, he´d beef with Dana, it is a jackass.

david63 likes this.
  8. david63

david63 CH Dog

Here's another fighter I like a lot Bas Rutten.had one of the hardest slaps of any fighter I've ever seen and I have seen him slap a man so hard he knocked him OUT.One of the BAD ASS TO EVER ENTER A RING.

9. Euro

Euro Big Dog

there was a test done on ballistic human torso and pig liver, written could literally bust your liver and kill you with a punch

david63 likes this.
  10. Euro

Euro Big Dog

*rutten

david63 likes this.
  11. slim12

BJ Penn was one of my favorites early on but seemed to live on talent alone. He looked on weight and in shape when he fought Sean Sherk. His stand up game was as good as anyone ever. It was brilliant. Then when he fought St. Pierre he looked like he had to eat to get to weight and simply got smothered. (and I think St. Pierre was a little 'slick' that night too).

I thought he needed a weight class around 162-165. He looked weaker at 155 and looked too big at 170.

I liked him a lot.

S

12. slim12

I am not sure words from another kid warrant a broken arm but he was really close. If my fat ass was a few seconds slower it would have been a different conversation/situation.

But I can see where it was asked for.

S

13. david63

david63 CH Dog

I remember back in the Early eighties through the mid eighties when I was competing we had a man come in to train with us his name was Bill Sal he was ranked number 15 in the continental United States at the time. He train with us for a couple of months he wanted to spar the top fighters in the class that would have been myself and Valve and Herb I went 1st He kick my ass after that Valve went in and he kick Valve ass to Herb went in he kick Herb's ass to.The 3 of us were Instructors of the Class. Big difference in amateur and professional fighters.

14. Box Bulldog

Box Bulldog Top Dog

Fights start standing, A good boxer would have a decent shot against any art of fighting.

david63 likes this.
  15. slim12

So true.

Then there is the separation between a trained/skilled/disciplined fighter compared to the tough guy down the road.

S

16. david63

david63 CH Dog

MMA fighting we were doing it back in the eighties up through the 90s. It's still not promoted like boxing.I would still be in it if my Instructors wife would not have come down with cancer. UFAF System.

17. david63

david63 CH Dog

There's always one tough guy wanting to try you you have to laugh at them and walk off when you can and sometime you can't God help them.

bamaman likes this.
  18. Euro

Euro Big Dog

in practice of course this has been proven as false.

19. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

In my mind It's like the McGregor vs Mayweather fight. In the ring the top boxer is going to toy with the MMA fighter. In the octogon Maywether would get destroyed. At least in boxing the mma fighter can make that single connection needed for the curtains to close but it's unlikely just like the boxer winning in the octagon. I'm not a huge fan or anything but I do enjoy watching both.

With the corona virus shutting down all sports this might help ESPNs ratings. (Of course, if it were true which it's not). Lol

Capture+_2020-04-03-22-58-35-1.png

slim12 likes this.
  20. Box Bulldog

Box Bulldog Top Dog

Mercer was 48 at the time.