1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

MMA,Mixed Martial Arts, Wrestling lets have your theory.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bamaman, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Box Bulldog

Box Bulldog Top Dog

I agree. But I think a boxer would have a better shot in a mma fight than a mma fighter in a boxing match for the most part. Certain types of boxers would do better (fast hard hitters like Canelo for ex.) than a defensive minded fighter (ex. Mayweather) in mma. Same goes for stand up striker style mma fighter's would do better in boxing than a ground fighter obviously. Two different sports. Great boxers are great at boxing. Great mma fighters are ''good'' at everything.

SMD760, AGK and david63 like this.
  2. Holocaust

Holocaust Match dog

Depends on v who... an in prime juiced to the gills Frank Mir? I'm betting on mir but expecting tyson to knock him out with a ferocious hook. Hell even cro cop if he could survive the punches. But again too many variables.

When folks tell me they're gonna whip someone I always ask "what if you slip in gravel mid fight?" Not because I think the other person is better on the ground, more I believe tyson's quote "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

AGK, slim12 and david63 like this.
  3. ngamla

ngamla Big Dog

Saw that young Gracie guy lose his fifth last year after going 4-0 with submissions. Seemed like he had no idea on the feet and was one dimensional in his attempts to get the fight to the ground in his loss.

4. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

It will be an age old debate.

A young Mike Tyson, maybe a long hard left job like Larry Holmes, anything that would keep the MMA guy off them til that shot lands.

In the UFC's you could see where Joyce Gracie was not exactly a smoothy getting guys to the ground. Once there his skill set over came but I could see a boxer drilling him a number of times.

But I agree once on the ground the MMA guy wins pretty much every time. It i their cup of tea.

S

5. Kostas81

Kostas81 Big Dog

Boxers will drop in the octagon by a single specific strike. Leg kick! Let aside the ground. They have zero conditioning in strikes there! They will become limb in one second....!
    The only real life advantage I give to boxers is when they have to fight multiple opponents. A wrestler or a bjj fighter is fucked!!!!!

6. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Said that in an earlier post. Agree.

Hell even in MMA it is one of the least used/most effective strikes in the game.

Not being a partcipant of the sport I wonder why something that works so well is so seldom used.

S

7. Holocaust

Holocaust Match dog

James toney vs couture....

I know im not the only one who remember la 1 easrly tale down and toney having pitty pat played on his face til it was stopped

AGK, SMD760 and david63 like this.
  8. Euro

Euro Big Dog

sylvia is a fat joke, he couldn't even get into top 20 fighters in current ufc

9. david63

david63 CH Dog

sylvia I did not like his style and I did not think he was that good of a fighter to start off with tall and awkward.

10. david63

david63 CH Dog

James Toney had his pants pulled down and spanked.

11. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

SMD760 and david63 like this.
  12. Box Bulldog

Box Bulldog Top Dog

True. James Toney was also a middleweight at his prime. He is only 5'9'', Punch drunk, washed up and broke. He couldn't get a decent fight in boxing needed cash so tried a ufc fight. In my opinion he was hand picked by Dana White to make boxing look bad, Dana put a fat,short has been boxer in with a very good wrestler. I doubt Toney even trained just showed up for a pay day. All I am saying is a real heavyweight in shape that is closer to his prime with some reach not T-Rex arms would of had a much better punchers chance of landing before getting grabbed.

bamaman and david63 like this.
  13. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

BJ was a great fighter, but one with substance/alcohol problems for a long time.
    Met St.Pierrre when he came to overhere to see Andy Sauer fight a kickboxing match, he's a nice lad.

SMD760 and david63 like this.
  14. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

Hate to see this kind of fights, it is not good for the sport and it is painfull to see an once talented athlete going through the drain.

bamaman and Box Bulldog like this.
  15. Box Bulldog

Box Bulldog Top Dog

When people start fighting for money past prime not for a love of the sports that's a good way to become punch drunk. Happens all the time. Shane Mosley was one of my favorites he stuck around and fought the best way past his prime he now has slurred speech he could of left the fight game with his brains and a great career but he just had to keep fighting. Very sad.

bamaman and F.W.K. like this.
  16. James toney still an all time great. Beautiful style of boxing. His skills can’t ever be underestimated . hed fuck ur ass up in under 5 seconds box

Box Bulldog likes this.
  17. He may fuck me up even quicker box. What you said was true that fight was dumb. I was just very triggered by your description of him haha he’s one of my favorite fighter

18. Nevertheless But the weaponry of a fighter is too much for a boxer. Threat of such an easy takedown. Easy work on the ground. Boxers don't train takedown defense. MMA fighter will punish them little untouched boxer legs too . The boxer WONT be able to take too much of that. Cut the boxer up with some elbows. Knees. Etc

19. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

A boxer going into an MMA fight, and his only skill is boxing, is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

david63 likes this.
  20. Box Bulldog

Box Bulldog Top Dog

James Toney was a very good fighter. But he let himself go, stopped training, eating proper, used steroids got his belt taken. He went from a trim middle weight to a very fat heavyweight. Don't be upset with me for saying the facts. Be upset with him for not taking care of himself and his finances. And for the record I was a fan of him myself even when he was a fat slob.

slim12 and AncientEgypt like this.