1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Moving: Kennel or the whole yard

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by purplepig, Mar 18, 2008.

1. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Hello, I am looking for input.

I have sold my home( which I really hated!!), because gas is killing us (we live 45 miles from my wife's work, and our church. Has been killing our finaces, anyhow;

I am trying to figure out the best thing to do. I am still out in the country(when we get moved!) , but my neighbors are right upon me. The property is not fenced, and I really dont want them to flex out on all my bulldog's moving in. They have dogs that are running loose, and I dont want to move in and immediately one of their dogs ends up dead. So...

I am looking at either pouring a huge slab, and setting up kennel runs, (yea, I know, I dont want them off the chains either), or fencing in the property. The main reason I dont want to do the latter is because sometime within the next two months, the insurance folks will come by, and if a third of my bulldogs are in the front*(most of the yard is in front of the house) and they see my yard of "devil dogs", they' may drop me like a bad habbit!!(Allstate)

So my question is, what is the most economical way to go, as far as posts and such. Also I am aware that they can chew through many fencing materiels.

Would appriciate replys asap.

2. CooljoeGoodie

CooljoeGoodie Big Dog

Well I would say,just look at your land and pick out a area for your dogs,and not the whloe yard.Because of the people next to you and what they do with their dogs.I would use the tin shingels,like they used on roofs as my fence,I think they are 4ft x 5 or6ft.With some in kennels and some on spots and then rotate them.Hey keeping it real,sometimes you can go to landfills and they have lots of stuff you could use,like post..etc,if they'll let you have it.

3. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Could you do the kennels but set up chain spots inside of them? (I guess you'd have to set the axles before the concrete dries, or perhaps just do concrete around the perimeter of each run.) Then you'd have a barrier around each dog -- which is what Allstate told me was required when I talked to them about insurance -- and you could put up tarps or something like that on the fence to limit visibility so the neighbors wont be peeking at your dogs.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  4. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

Chainlink around the perimeter of the dog yard. dogs on chain spots inside of fence. Done. no kennels. definatly no concrete. thats my opinion, and it works for me. The chainlink will keep neighbors dogs at bay and the chain spots will keep your dogs safely secured. I say dont hide a thing. keep it free and clear and let everyone see what you have (if you have nothing to hide). Just keep the chains spots clean, and free of poop.

5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

That would work fine except for his insurance company. Allstate bans "pit bulls" in the state of Louisiana and they will drop him so fast he probably won't have time to get a new insurance company before he gets in deep doo-doo with the mortgage company. Not to mention that insurance companies just love to rat out their former clients to the new potential insurance company that the client is trying to obtain.

Purple, I'm not sure what to tell you other than call State Farm today.

6. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Mia, are you sure that they will insure w/ the dogs? I called them, and they did not ask, so I did not tell, just wanted to know.

7. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

thats who i have, they didn't ask a damn thing about dogs, so i didn't tell them a damn thing, been with them for 3 years no problems

8. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

\

PP state farm is a pit bull friendly and out of them all state farms the one said we havn't got a problem with them,,,but you still need to keep them on the DL with anyone,,,because state farm has a thing when a homeowner has Too Many they are suppose to report it to the company,,,anyway,,, is what my agent told me but we know each other personally and we've had several discussions on them,,, just because of liabilities,,,make sure i'm covered,,,lol

9. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Fence the yard and switch to State Farm. Reward companies that don't discriminate against our dogs with your bussiness.

10. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

I appriciate all of your input, and State Farm, though alittle bit more, has our business.

11. kane85

kane85 Top Dog

I got sate farm too they don't ask we don't tell you should realy look into it they did not come out to check

12. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I one time had to get insurance specifically because of my dog. (Lived in a city with BSL, and that was one of their requirements.) State Farm didn't care about her breed at all. I think they may have asked if she'd bitten anyone or something like that. Honestly don't remember, but it was painless. In fact, the rep that we talked to had a Pit Bull, and we talked about dogs for a few minutes.

13. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I did tell them up front and here's why. Should something ever happen, if you'll read the fine print of insurance documents, you'll see that not only with the h.o's insurance NOT pay, but you will be dropped for lying/fraud. I know this b/c I've got 2 good friends in the insurance business (plus, we've been dropped before...without having any issues with the dogs, but rather b/c we didn't disclose we had them).

I know a lot of people go with the "they didn't ask, so I didn't tell" approach, but in reality, YOU are the responsble party for giving that information. I was turned down lots of times by agents of several companies b/c I was up front with them, but I've got a nice piece of mind now knowing that my agent knows what kind of dogs we own and that it's not an issue at all.

If you have some time, just start calling around. Different agents also have their own perogatives as to whom they will and will not insure, so don't take 1 agent's denial as a company denial. However, my cousin works for AllState and she said it's company policy for them to not insure those who own breeds on their "blacklist."

14. kinggatorpits

kinggatorpits Big Dog

I will add allstate dropped us like a bad habit when they came out to do a storm damage claim couldn't get around it. We had our dogs on chain spots the adjuster went back to the office 10 mins later they called and told us they were gonna pay for the repairs and we need to find another insurance co thank god my car insurance guy does homeowners as well.

15. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

we have allstate.

when i inquired about breed specifics, she (our agent) said although allstate has a dangersous dog list, she didn't have any problems with specific types of dogs. but if either of our dogs, the jrt or apbt had any incidents where it bit someone/casued damage, we'd be dropped regardless of what breed did it, and have a hard time getting picked up by any other insurance company.

i took aubrey to her office on more than one occasion, and her and the three other ladies there LOVED her, and she had to come by the house to see how she was contained when she was outside before "approving" coverage; she said with "dangerous breeds listed by allstate" (rotties, dobies, "pit bulls," gsds, etc) she wants them to be contained either by kennel or tethered, away from the edge of the property so something can't get bit through the fence, and the yard has to be fully fenced. we met her requests, so approval was not a problem. according to her we have a jrt and a "terrier mix." :rolleyes:

it is nice to know that state farm doesn't have any breed restrictions....i'll have to call my folks as they've been with state farm for home and auto since before i was born.

*edit*

i'm sure if i had a yard of apbts, it'd be a different story, but i'm assuming since we only have one, she was more apt to work with us.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2008
  16. Tonka03

Tonka03 Big Dog

Get State Farm. They have no breed specific rulkes in there policies. I have them and asked about the breed and they only suggested maybe uping my coverage. So you may want to look into that as well!!

Tony

17. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

You bring up a good point about upping coverage. And I don't mean because we all own "pit bulls", but because we own dogs.

I get tired of hearing all the people complain about how they don't want to have to pay $100,000 in liability coverage b/c of their dogs. Granted, I don't think we should be mandated to, but honestly, it is not that much more expensive. We have a much larger liability policy and it only added approx. 17 a month to our insurance....or a little over $200 a year. Hopefully it will all be for nothing, but who knows? We've had several situations of construction workers hanging over our 8 ft. privacy fence to harrass the dogs and the truth is that if they fall in and get bitten (especially since our Rottie and Dogo have no problem going after yard intruders), we are still liable by law. And I don't want to lose my home and my life over a lawsuit.

18. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

Mia is right,,, thats why me and my insurance agent has had these discussions over liability,,, one dog bite can finacially ruin you for life,,, but if you have good insurance,,, its there responsibility to deal with it,,,

i can honestly say state farm has my back in case something happens and i know they will take care of me,,,

they have before

19. Tonka03

Tonka03 Big Dog

the quoted part
    http://www.insure.com/articles/homeinsurance/dog-owners.html
    good article about state farm
    http://network.bestfriends.org/thepitstop/news/1898.html

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

20. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

purplepig - sorry to thread jack you here brother.

but this is funny....after reading these posts today, i decided to call state farm just to inquire.

i called 3 different agenencies, two in my city, and one in a neighboring twon. all 3 state farm agencies.

ALL 3 SAID that they WILL NOT cover a home with an American Pit Bull Terrier (which caught me off gaurd, because none of the agents i spoke to called them "pit bulls" etc. etc.).

soooooo....if someone who has coverage through state farm and their agent(s) know what breed of dog they have, please PM me the contact info for your agencies.

i'm sure it varies by state, and OH is one of the harder states to own this breed in. but i don't see why an agency in any other state can't write a policy for someone, anywhere.

any and all contact info is appreciated. like i said before, we have coverage through allsate, and it's not a problem as of now. but the 3 quotes i got through state farm were all lower than our allstate premium.

HB 366 is rumored to be passed in OH, removing "pit bull" from the dangerous dog law, and determining dangerous dogs based on reported incidents where the dog(s) caused damage/bodily harm. hopefully this will help change some things around here.

again, if ANYONE can PM the contact info for their state farm agent who approved coverage for a home with the apbt breed, i'd appreciate it more than you know.

thanks.