1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Muscle Physiology and Feeding the Performance/Working Dog

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Kelticwarrior, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

?
    in sport science, the pre keep is the general preparatory phase the keep is be the specific competitive phase, if the athlete needs to develop anaerobic lactic and aerobic endurance,and the limiting factors to their performance are power endurance, muscular endurance medium and musular endurance long,is it more beneficial to have a longer general preparatory phase, and shorter specific competitive phase or the reverse?
    is it more beneficial to feed higher carbs early in the conditioning schedule ,later, or not at all? it impacts the blending of the three sciences in training feeding and recovery.

2. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

relative to the comp his understanding speaks for itself,
    what do you understand regarding his methodology that makes you think it would've turned a few heads?

Ozzie Stevens
    "Flirt Pole is the secret. I took Cholly Boy (working him for J.Rods Whitefoot match) and I had a flirt pole. I could excel with a flirt pole. There ain’t nobody in America could ever keep up once I used a flirt pole. I had an area back there where I used. I’d go in a circle. I had him jumping; I made him jump for the hide on the flirt pole. I had him jumping. I start jumping (25) jumps. Go around a circle, he start chasing it, then I start lifting it. Where he’d go run and jump and I’d move it. He miss it, he’d hit the ground turn in a second, come back a second time and I’d lift it again,
    he’d miss it. So I had him jumping back and forth, back and forth. I start about (50) jumps. Next day I started adding about (25) a day. I peaked him a few weeks before, I was doing (450) jumps in the morning and (450) jumps in the night. I was gonna try and do (1,000) jumps a day but I had to do (450) in the morning and (450) in the night and I was putting allkinds of stuff in him like feeding him liver and I had carboplex, different carbohydrate powders and feeding the liver I got his blood count up real good. He was doing (900) jumps a day. When he was doing that, I never got past that. That’s the way we went into the match and he never showed no strain at all".

3. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

why no use of carbs then?

4. cik

cik Big Dog

hi slim , iwas lucky to talk to him this last year, he was a greatguy ,and i can honestly say that every call with him was like going to college for gamedogs, and the 98% number is about right,but where did you learn what he did, he never publised his keep and in his interview in the times he never said much about his keep jsut an outline as such .

5. cik

cik Big Dog

he turned a few heads in thesense that he jsut took his level of conditioning a dog to the next level, he was able to overpwoer the competion by and large by the amout of work his dogs could put out over a longer period , but of course with dogs bred down from homer and that line of heavy english or should i say henry blood amongst others he had argualby as good a line of dogfs and game as their has ever been in the game , and he used them througout his time and bred them ,he was the all round breeder fighter of his time .

6. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

that doesnt address the question asked,you claim you felt you were taken to game dog college by him,we know he didnt release his keep,we know his results.
    Whats your understanding of his process,relevant to understanding he thread topic.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  7. cik

cik Big Dog

well yes he told me many things and it was very interesting to listen to him, but unfortunatley i never recorded what he said and he died before i could go over and see him as planned this year, so i wouldnt want to say anything that is ont exactly as ozzie said,and out of respect for him i would rather not say anything that i might get wrong ,and of course there is also the fact that if i know soemtihng that might help me and someone else doesnt have that info i think i would be silly to give it up , but like i said at the time you never think that someone will die like that ., and i had planned to vist him for 2 weeks this year and do some videos with him , to learn all i could form him and about his life , as ozzie was a very interesting man ,we would talk about so many other subjects apart from dogs,but he told me a lot and although it wasnt everything ,it was great knwoledge that im sure can only be of benefit if done correctly and with the same 100% commitment ozzie had to conditioning a dog , and not everyone has that in them , they think they have ,but some men go the extra mile or two so to speak and ozzie was one of those men thats for sure.

8. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

not asking for your secrets,or for you to recreate stevens keep. just your understanding of the thread topic, from the great knowledge you acquired in game dog college. I asked your understanding of the process.
    Is it more beneficial to have a longer or shorter pre keep and or keep,utilize higher carbs in the pre keep and or keep? peak the anaerobic
    or aerobic capacity last?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
  9. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

?

they effect the understanding of what, when, how, why, of exercise selection,energy system development,feeding, recovery, adaption, regeneration,super compensation and peaking.

With your self proclaimed great knowledge your answers or lack thereof,will be most revealing.

10. cik

cik Big Dog

here we go again tiger your bedside manner is that of a doctor with very cold hands, if you want to draw me into soemtihng you not very clever at going about in a very obvious way.

Where did i say i had self proclaimed knowledge ? I posted that i had talked to ozzie stevens and in our conversations we takled about lots of things including conditioning dogs and as i said he was very helpful and everytime we talked aobut dog related matters i always lesarnt soemthing new and in that regard it was like going to college , and if you think that your being clever by posting a dig at me then your obvuiosly just a very silly boy who thinks he can copy and paste scientific reports and aprrot those on here and seem knwoledgable then fine , but as you seem to be the one who has all the answers and by the looks of it all the phrases rrelated to conditioning a dog ( peaking /recovery/adaption etc etc ) maybe its you who feels like you have all the answers, but unfoirtunatley instead of me telling you waht ozzie told me your going to have to wait untill you die and if you meet him up there and your not too much of a wise guy (which you are) then ozzie might not tell you to go f u c k yourself, but id love to hear about all the many dogs you hjave obviuolsy put betwwen your legs and in tiptop condition because you have the lingo down pat thats for sure .

11. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

here you go gar/nwo/cik, you self proclaimed great knowledge here

"he told me a lot and although it wasnt everything ,it was great knwoledge that im sure can only be of benefit if done correctly"

have another go at answering on topic.

12. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

He won't answer and you won't get a straight answer from him.he still hasn't posted a dog.everything he says about other is actually a description of him.he ain't never done shit and ain't fin do shit.he talked to a couple old timers and now he has all these theories and shit but no working dogs.like I keep trying to tell y'all dudes (cik)a weirdo

13. cik

cik Big Dog

hi mr moron you again , i dont have to psot what i have you knowwhat i have dogs you will never have cand yes i talked to ozie and others , never mentioned you , maybe you just not in the club, but if my thoeries onnbilly and eli still hurt cos they true , or at least very likley to be true then tough titty , but are you a stalker cos i dont see you posting anything on the suject just trolling me , thats weird but then again your a weirdo

14. cik

cik Big Dog

yes mr wsieguy who still we have no idea what you ever did aprt from question everyone else but never say anything about what youve done , and yes ozzie had great knowledge ,maybe if you had been able to call him and not been such a know it all jerk you might have had some very interesting conversations with him also , so what do you want me to say , no i didnt learn anytihng form ozzie ? I mean you copy and paste what i said as if i have said something to which i need to expalin to you, and me saying he ozzie me great knowledge as he was the n0 1 dogman so of course what he told me was great knowledge to have from him as is any information from any top dogman ,and of course if put into practice the way ozzie describe certainthings then as he told me it would be of benefit, so i dont know were you see me saying i have have self proclaimed knowledge ,what im saying is that ozie was very knowledgeable and i was lucky and happy to have been able to talk to him ,and if you want to try and create an arguemnt becasue i havent spilled the beans on what he told me ,well maybe if your second post wasnt so aggresive i might have at least told you waht he told me, but why should i considering i didnt start the s h i t you did .

15. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

gar get real, your not a shrinking violet,you dont need to know anything about me to be asked a question on physiology and feeding or to give an answer.Your just trying your usual diversionary tactics from showing the depth of your own knowledge of the topic.
    Ive shown more of ozzie stevens keep than you have, while youve been busy blowing on your own trumpet.

These are my statements relevant to the thread topic based on sports science, youve been too busy to make any.

Anaerobic lactic and aerobic system development,power endurance and muscular endurance as limiting factors.

TOTAL DURATION OF WORK
    should the total keep be longer or shorter?
    DIVISION OF WORK
    should the pre keep be longer or shorter than the main keep?
    ENERGY SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT
    do i peak the anaerobic or aerobic capacity last?
    FEEDING
    do i feed higher carbs any where in the schedule?

16. cik

cik Big Dog

well tiger if you have more of ozzies keep thanme why did you want me to tell you what is was ? But all you have is what was inthe times interview , becasue if you had actually had a friendship with ozzie which you didnt you would know ,as i said that he told only a very breif outline of what he did, so think what you will and if anyone has diversionary tavtices its you tiger living in england with no dogs of worht if any thats for sure and dreaming aobut having dogs to actually match and condition with what you now claim is your sueprior knowlkedge in conditioning and that you have more of ozzies keep tham me, well you are good at coopy and pasting articles you find on the net,,buti bet you cant psot anymore than ozzie has already put out there which was a very small aprt of his keep and feeding metohds, but i might be wrong maybe you have ,but if i had ozzies more of ozzies keep than a man who has been talking to him for hours on the phone for over a year ,then i wouldnt be asking him to tell me what ozzies keep was but you are .

By the tiger as you are self porclaiming yourself to be a top conditoner what geat dogs have you condtioned that won or lost ,they must be well known for someone as superior as yourself as a conditioner

17. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I met Mr. Stevens in late '91 or early '92. The guy that turned me onto dogs was good friends with him. I was just a young kid almost out of the service and getting back into the dogs. They shared a lot of information.

One of the things Mr. Stevens did was figure out how to put a ton more work than the next guy. He got what he wanted out of a dog every day, even if it meant spreading the load out. Lets say (just for numbers sake) he needed 2 hours of actual work out of a dog. He may work and rest, work and rest until he put in two hours of work. That two hours of work time may have taken four hours to complete. As the keep went on the two hour number would raise and the amount of total time would decrease. True recovery. Thus at the end of a keep he was putting a ton more into the dog than most and in turn, getting more out.

Lots of people put dogs on a mill for X amount of minutes, walked them out, worked them etc. etc.. As with the flirt pole story from above, Mr. Stevens believed in explosive movements. Dogs were worked to a drained state, and then would explode from exercise to exercise. Drained, and exploded time and time again. This mimics the show. A real sport specific type of training.

The feeds he used had lots of fats as well. Lots of jack cheeses and greases. Just had an alarm. More later. S

18. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

Gar your arrogance is only outdone by your ignorance, each time you post you reveal a lack of intelligence, lack of understanding, lack of knowledge and lack of character, truth cant help but reveal itself.
    Reread my post and comprehend before proceeding.
    You dont seem to understand the concept of SCIENCE and the SCIENTIFIC METHOD, nor understand their use or value which is odd considering you a TRUTHSEEKER. Have another try at the questions with your great knowledge of the subject matter.

19. cik

cik Big Dog

tiger if im arogant then waht are you , your the one proclaimign you know the ozzie keep or more than he told me and how you are so advanced in what you know,and if i havent told you anytihng how do you know what i know lol and if i ahvent told you anything again how do you know what i know aobut scientific methods or not ? Actually i have been trianign for years and have been able to condityitonmyself very nicely thank you , but im sure you will be taking notes from sliom 12 as he definetly got info from ozzie jsut form seeing what he posted, im sure you will somehow claim at a later stage that you knew that already lol , anyway good luck with building up your knowledge base tiger maybe you could try being a little lees sarcastic when you ask for info ,you did it iwht slim already beroe i piped into this thread and then with me becasue i didnt answer your psot quick enough for youm your very high strung arent you , you might want to try taking a few deep breahts before posting with such sarcasm and know it all ness ,sometimes it pays to be humble sometihng your not.

20. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Back to the fats. Mr. Stevens used a lot of fats in his keeps, more so than most in his era. He also used lots of carbs as well, just as we did back then. He used a lot of brown rice. He boiled his rice twice. Once to get it cooked, let it cool and then boil it again so each piece splits. The dogs get better absorption/assimilation. We still do this today.

He fed some jack cheeses, some greens and twice cooled fish grease. Fish or chicken cooked in grease, let it cool and cook fish or chicken it in again, let it cool and then add it to the feed.

Mr. Stevens was ahead of his time. If he matched 132 dogs in his time, he did at least that many trial and error runs to get where he wanted to be. With that said, I doubt he ever got where he wanted to be because there was always room for improvement and he was always willing to put in the work to get there. Bu that is my opinion.

If anything, he was king of the little things. Not a stone went unturned. S