1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Muscle Physiology and Feeding the Performance/Working Dog

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Kelticwarrior, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

Your ignorance of copy and paste means your now debating your own nonsense with yourself.
    Your ignorance of science means you cant distinguish between observer and observed, or subjective or objective.
    Have another go on topic, its your turn to share o stevens keep info and your own understanding of the topic.

2. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

thanks for sharing slim12, in the flirt pole extract o stevens mentions types of carb powder alongside the work.
    what sort of percentage for carbs were you using back in the day and did the percentage and type alter over the duration of the keep?

youve explained your use of virtually no carbs now in the summer period and its effects,get to keep quicker, through keep quicker, and run cooler, are you stating you are able to operate at high intensity for as good or better with out the carb use now?

3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Back then I fed a lot of carbs because that was the way I was taught. They said do this and do that and that is what I did. We never carb loaded per se. Thinking back it could have been 20%-30% I can't be exactly sure. The keeps back then were a little more structured, most of the time starting with a two week pre-keep and then 6-8 weeks of work, and taking the last week off, coming off supplements as much as ten days out.

Two weeks of pre-keep was to get the little things lined out, pad care, dump routine, work routine, rest, etc. etc. Back then we held the dogs at or a pound or so over show weight and fed the dog down the last week with rest. The percentages were pretty much the same throughout, with the totals used as the adjuster.

I use carbs in the winter to maintain weight. Yes, on the high fat /high protein diet the dogs are ready to do heavy work quicker than in years past. Getting to max work earlier shortens the keep. (Lots of lengthy keeps with lots of work end up with a stale dog). We are now getting dogs in and out in 8 weeks, which includes pre-keep, work, rest, and go. We are now working dogs to within four days of the show and those four days allows the dog to rest, and after two days of rest he pretty much has hell penned up in him.

So yes, the high intensity is maintained throughout, going higher and higher as the weeks progress. S

4. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

All of yawl have some good points even if some of yawl are just copying and pasting lol.

Its the simple logic of supply and demand, if the demands are met its all good.

5. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

thanks slim12,a lot of useful information,it appears the utilizations of carbs is limited by the type of strength and energy system being developed and the duration of the keep, which is limited by staleness.

In utilizing the three sciences of the sprinter weight puller and sled dog, do you utilize lower intensity higher volume and higher intensity lower volume in the keep now? such as maximum strength and power work, and aerobic endurance work? these being the foundation of all
    other types of strength and endurance.

on the issue of keep duration ,did you alter the loading pattern, cycle of work, and exercise stimulus to try stave off staleness and increase work capacity beyond 6wks back in the day?

on the issue of carbs, did you alter the type of strength to max strength and power, and energy system to anaerobic alactic to utilize the higher carbs back in the day?

6. slim12

Back when I first started 'stronger longer' was the key. It was a lot of chain pulling and long, long walks. The carpet mill was key as well. Not the free spinning carpet (belt mill) mills of today but the shag carpet on plywood mills of yesteryear. The mills that started the 5 minute max myths we hear so much about today.

Back then it was a lot of hard work followed by hard sprints on the hard turning mills. So, the dogs were 'drained' with a lot of walking and chain pulling and then worked on the hard turning mill. So all three were somewhat incorporated. The chain pulling is similar to the sled dogs, lighter in weight and duration, but similar still the same. The carpet mill was the power work as it took a lot of strength to keep it going and speed is developed thru the explosive stops and starts.

Things were altered and still altered today. A dog will soon figure out if he walks the same path every day. In time it will be like "Time to make the donuts". Dogs figure things out. Some days it was long walks. Some days we pulled chains. Some days a young dog was walked out front. Some days a different path in the woods. Same amount of work but differing to routes and pulling in differing order.

Back then we fed the same basic meal everyday. The amounts were different based on weight and weight was based on amount of work. So the amounts changed based on load but the load did not dictate feed type. Today I start off with a medium fat/medium protein some carb (cold weather) diet. Just before the work starts I bump the fat and protein percentages. Once under load the fat gets another small bump. If I did a hard measure I would think it would be about 45-45-10...fat-protein-and the other ten would be brown rice, greens, etc..etc.. and ten percent may be a little on the high side. S

7. cik

cik Big Dog

well herewe go agian tigerlines the know it all who knows nothing and seems to know thta i know notihng even though i havent said anything , so how arogant can you get , still a fool no change , and no dogs either , keep milking others as you always do .

8. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...dik...still chaseing people around this site...phssst....sad.....you could'nt feed a goldfish right...simpo....

9. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

thanks for the info slim12,
    i fully understand the combining of the types of strength and energy systems and to run off fat in a limited time keep.
    The utilization of fat in the conditioning schedule is clear, but the utilization of carbs and the duration of the keep isnt.

Do you see no benefit in trying to extend the total duration of the work schedule(not necessarily the peaking process)?
    given that greater work capacity is the product of greater toleration of higher volume and load over time.

Also do you see no benefits in developing max strength and power(no endurance element) in the work cycle?
    given that greater physiological efficiency in and by the types of strength required at high intensity is the product of their development.

I ask because the first questions impacts the second, the use of carbs, and utilization of the methodology of the sprinter, weight puller, sled dog, to the fullest degree possible in conditioning for greater work capacity, and physiological efficiency in high intensity work.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014
  10. slim12

I am not so much concerned with max strength but the combination of strength and speed. Max strength usually means more muscle. More muscle needs more oxygen.

Muscular endurance is far more important than maximum muscular strength. I am seldom concerned with how much a dog can max but more concerned with when he can do it again. I would rather see a dog pull half the weight for twice as a long, than twice the weight for half the distance (if that makes sense).

It has been a while since I used enough carbs to factor in their effects on a longer duration of work. S

11. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

Thanks for the reply slim12, i understand your concerns,i agree muscular endurance is far more important than max strength in final performance.

As stated previously, muscular endurance of an explosive nature (or power endurance),and muscular endurance of a medium and long nature are the limiting factors to performance.But max strength plays the determinant role in the type of specific strength desired.Both strength x speed(power) and muscular endurance are a product of max strength and neither can reach high levels without high levels of it.It increases fiber size resulting in fewer fibers and a smaller number of motor units needed to perform the task,its improvement results in strength reserves critical in increasing the muscles capacity to produce work more effectively to overcome resistance.It increases inter and intra muscular coordination and physiological efficiency IN & BY the types of strength desired in final performance, resulting in greater work capacity at high intensity and increased physiological efficiency.

On the issue of max strength usually meaning more muscle and oxygen.
    Muscle size depends greatly on the methodology and duration used,such as hypertrophy and bodybuilding,sub max loads, lower muscle tension, reps to exhaustion, excess protein and calories etc.
    Max strength training methodology uses high loads, high muscle tension, CNS stimulation and adaptation,FT motor unit recruitment,absence of exhaustion etc. It mainly increases muscle density and tone not hypertrophy, and if the correct methodology is used max strength improvement with insignificant gains in muscle mass will be the result.

The issue of carbs isnt so much its use in long duration work but in max strength and power development and fueling the anaerobic system that supports them.

The goal isnt to develop max strength continuously or over a long duration but to build it, then maintain it while converting it to the specific strength desired.First into muscular endurance and power, then converting the power into power endurance alongside muscular endurance.

12. slim12

Agreed. Where science and 'doing dogs' separate is desire. There is no science that covers desire. The science you speak of, is based on human effort, or at the very least a canine athlete, but nothing covers the desire of a 'game' dog. That is where a person's personal experience will far outweigh science. I do not doubt the science and I do not debate its basis. One, I do not have the background to argue/debate glycogenesis, glycogen depletion at VO2 Max, or the cell restoration at a resting heart rate. I understand they have their place but the desire of a bulldog will make all the sciences/scientists stop and scratch their head.

On your explanation of max strength, apply it to something that does not know how to quit, does not know how to stop and gives effort with every fiber of his being at every opportunity on every exercise. So max strength type exercises will bulk a dog. Bulk equals muscle mass and muscle mass will need fuel. Use that same desire factor and incorporate everything toward muscle endurance and the dog will become stronger, more in a sense of pound for pound strength, with big increase in power, not necessarily muscle. The end goal is to be able to go all out for long periods of time, and nothing can max for duration. Not sprinters, not power lifters or weight pullers. If a sprinter could go max for duration then his 100M time could be factored into the 5000M and he would finish it in a tenth of the time. If a guy can bench 600lbs. max, he can't lift it for ten reps, recover in 30 seconds and do it again. Can't be done.

I disagree with the last statement as far as dogs are concerned. The speed and explosion work is done, gradually increasing the amounts while gradually decreasing the recovery time. And then do it again and again. Taking time out of that regimen to devote effort to maximum strength is detrimental to the process. If I were weight pulling a dog I will agree with you 100%. For a bulldog in keep those two concepts are miles apart. S

13. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

thanks for the reply slim12, ive enjoyed the discussion, if you disagree, no problem.
    science does cover desire and gamedogs, it covers everything, nothing can suspend the laws of the universe not even god least of all a dog and im a believer in the risen christ.
    Desire is pleasure given duration by thought, and pleasure is the product of memory.Gameness is the product of stubbornness and drive, projected by thought in action.Gameness is never a bad thing unless their is an absence of intelligence.

On max strength,you are correct, maxing out for duration will produce muscle,but only in the presence of exhaustion excess protein and excess calories.But it will produce more than that,it will produce fatigue over training and staleness in a matter of weeks.Its the methodology of decades past bodybuilding of American origin when weight lifting as a sport was part of it. it never won a strength performance title of merit in the entire existence of it use. Its a function of load and methodology used, what ever type of strength you try to develop,from muscular endurance to power, using such methodology will lead to the same results,short term limited adaption, fatigue, over training and staleness. Limiting the progress and its duration to weeks.Its exacerbated my using the same exercises ,a flat loading pattern,and the progressive overload principle, with no variation in load or volume except increase. If you dont understand what your doing it will produce only inferior adaption and limit capacity, at best.
    Luckily that isnt what max strength is,how its trained or its function, and no method is or has ever produced superior result in performance compared to it.It cannot lead to bulk becaUse its volume is too low, and the duration of its use in context is far too short.

I have to disagree with your statement with the end goal being able to go all out for long periods of time.To me the end goal is is to be able to use the minimum to produce the maximum for however long it takes. thats physiological efficiency and increased work capacity at every effort level.

Max strength training has nothing to do with maxing out for duration.It simply refers to the max load you can tolerate for 1 rep. A measure all other work will be based off as a percentage of load, including body weight. The greater the strength reserve, the lower the intensity of the load when it comes to conversion or competition.It produces exactly the opposite of using more fuel AT EVERY EFFORT LEVEL physiologically and psychologically.For the reasons i explained in a previous post.Its the reason why it is used from sprinters to ultra endurance athletes of 8hrs+ duration, on land or in water, and has helped break records in them where resistance over 30% of max has to be overcome.
    Their are many ways to understand it use and application, from the original russian strength manuals to louie simmons to tudor bompa to prilepins chart etc.

You will have to explain why max strength training is detrimental to the process, as ive explained why its the exact opposite and addressed the points youve made.A keep only has two functions, to condition a dog and to peak it.The only concept that max strength is miles apart from is the belief a short duration of limited work is all an athlete is capable of, or needs to peak.

14. slim12

Your concepts and theories are based on humans. Humans have the ability to reason. The ability to reason allows the athlete to check up both by intent and with no intent. Lots of dogs can't do this. They will run on a mill or pull a weight til they die. Humans have died in competition but it is always unexpected. None compete til they die, they may understand the possibility of death, but they do not expect it. Game dogs are different.

That is where science in trumped by a person's experience. A dog will run himself into the ground with no regard of his personal well being. Finding his maximum strength is of no use because finding maximum strength will inevitably lead to the need to rest. The art of conditioning a dog is to stop him on a certain point, the split second he has had enough, not 1 minute too much or not leaving one more needed minute out there.

Again, I do not doubt the sciences, I do not argue them either, even when I think a personal proven successes differ. Back to this post and the other feeding post, there is nothing out there scientifically for the game dog. There is no explanation why one can bite and his identical twin brother can't. There is no scientific explanation why one dog makes a scratch under dire circumstances while the next will quit on top, and vice versa. No manuals. No research. That also applies to conditioning. One dog will work himself to the death and the next will not move enough to get out of his own way. Both those dogs have to go to the end, and the end is never defined or determined til show night. Science can't prove itself with those type variables. S

15. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

thanks slim12,i havent stated any abstractions based on humans with no relevancy to gamedogs.No dog will hook its self to mill or sled and pull its self to death, or have any desire to do so.I dont know any humans who desire to condition this way either or any science.Humans have died giving their last breath fighting with full awareness of their fate through out history and always will.Game dogs arent different their a simple source of amusement, not the mystery of the universe.

Personal experience can never trump science, its a categorical impossibility, explain how personal experience trumps the scientific method of observation measurement record analysis hypothesis and projection?I dont know what running a dog into the ground has to do with max strength/power/ feeding carbs, you will have to explain that one to me,you will also have to explain to me why measuring max strength is no use because a dog need to rest?On the art of conditioning how do you know what is enough and when? the secret of adaption in conditioning is super compensation.

You state you dont doubt or argue with science, even when you think personal proven success differs from it,the point is do you utilize science or ignore it?What personal proven success in developing max strength and power, and fueling them differs from science? science is truth in reality in the moment, what personal proven success differs from this?You state their is nothing scientific out their in feeding the game dog, their not a mystery and their is a ton of science out their, it has three energy systems, they are fueled exactly the same in all dogs, strength is a function of the energy systems.On the differences in a twins bite and dogs that quit and scratch,their not a mystery, its pleasure.

On the end not being defined till the show, of course the end is defined or you couldnt pick a winner or loser,its a contest of winner and loser in a contest of gameness, gameness is a measure of intensity and duration.In work capacity thats volume and load. a dog has only 3 energy systems,one only lasts for ten seconds, so it isnt dominant, the other two obviously are. Strength is a function of them.where is the mystery? Dead game defines gameness in a game dog,it needs the greatest work capacity it can achieve restricted only by its genetic potential, it doesnt matter if you win or lose except to a gambler, the objective is to produce a dead game dog via conditioning.

16. slim12

Knowing when a dog has had enough is an art. When a dog is on the mill at what point does the ten minute energy system end? and when do the other two kick in? Exactly ten minutes on every dog out there? Not by a long shot. Does that ten minute window increase with time? Tell me where science can point that out. I agree it is happening but tell me how you would tell the dog it is ten minutes in, now switch energy states?

Again, I do not doubt the sciences. But I do not just run out and drink the Kool-Aid either. I would like to see something from out there that defines feeding a game dog, with scientific references. Show me a study where a dog was fed a certain way, put in a box, fighting for his life, stopped to take "measurements for science", allowed to continue, "measured for science" and in the end an optimal food was determined to compensate for any and all stages through combat. That would be my question for you ????

The secret of adaptation in conditioning is super compensation. Great definition out of a book. Gather all your books, all your sciences, and put your dog thru conditioning. At eight weeks or so when you hit peak, (or your idea of peak), rest three days and quadruple the amount of work from the peak day as test. If you do not know what you are looking at during the 8 weeks your dog will fail the test. Now if that were a real test you would lose not only your dog but your money. Knowing a plant needs water is far less important than knowing how much water to give every where else in the world, with maybe the exception of a lab.

Your last statement is proof you have no earthly idea what being game is about. A dead game dog will die in his efforts. Conditioning may prolong his demise but gameness is not via conditioning. It is restricted by its genetic potential but conditioning does not determine the genetic limits it only lengthens the time to the inevitable. S

17. slim12

Back to this origins of this post, as well as the other feeding post, there is tons information out there. Scientific studies and research to define optimal feeding of the canine athlete. I have never doubted this for a minute. I have a good understanding of the three energy states, and the fuels that power these states. Again, all based on science. Everything on the planet is a result of 'science'.

There is tons of information out there by men who have competed with bulldogs at the highest level. They have fed and conditioned dogs who went several hours. Over time they made adjustments in work load, feed and supplementation to get tot he top of their peer group. This process is a crude and very general scientific path of discovery. Science is the basis. But a lot of them could not spell glycogenesis much less explain it. Most of them could not say Adenisone-tri-phosphate much less know where it applied in there keep. But through personal experience, trial and error, good dogs and bad, they got to optimal conditioning and to the top of their peer group. This is art.

Art is knowing when to stop the dog on the mill. Art is letting the dog tell you when he has hit his optimal mark for today. The variables (and science is always crippled by unknown variables, and science is always in search of answers to variables) being every day is different and every dog is different and art is the ability to get tot hat optimal spot with different dogs on different days.
    Would a person choose a sports canine researcher/nutrionist to shape his dog or would he choose Don Mayfield? Would a guy ask a canine reproductive specialist to choose which dogs to breed or Maurice Carver?

Bulldogs are science, but the art is far more important to success. S

18. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

Thanks slim12,to answer your first paragraph,its not an art its a science and their is no such thing as a ten minute energy system.I thought you stated you have a good understanding of the 3 energy states?

To answer your second paragraph,im not a scientist no more than einstein was a time traveler.Measurements arent made "for" science,and scientists arent interested in dog matching.You dont need to stop a dog match to know what optimal food it needs through out all stages of combat, beyond the bleeding obvious, its simple carbs.

To answer your third paragraph,super and compensation are the product of the English language, their simple words not hard to understand,its a verifiable proven phenomenon of adaption(what do you imagine carb loading is? or muscle growth?).I dont own any sciences to gather up.As for your 8 wk test with my idea of a peak according to you own suggestion i will use my self instead of a dog.I gather up all my science books because i must have lots of science books to use words like super compensation obviously,i start the schedule and i scratch my head for ten seconds every day for a week while baffling myself with the mystery of earthly gameness.I add ten seconds a week for 8 weeks,peaking at 80seconds while watching myself in the mirror (to know what im looking at).I rest for 3 days and attempt to scratch my head for 5min and 20seconds while baffling my self of the mystery of earthly gameness, (while watching in the mirror) and complete the task with ease. If i had money on it, would i be a wealthy gambler with understanding or just a baffled one with a sore head?

On your last paragraph,i might not have an earthly understanding of gameness to compare to you, but i will explain what mine is and where it comes form if your prepared to do the same? This is where mine comes from and what it is. It comes from the will to endure of man, his role and place in the universe. His understanding of the eternal(god) and the gamest man who ever lived(Jesus Christ). It comes from a near thousand year history of my fellow country men baiting dogs to the death for their own amusement as a reflection of their own existence, when all anyone had was a will to endure, his understanding of the eternal, and a very short brutal violent unfair existence. It comes from the midlands (where i was bred) where bull baiting and dog fighting where obsessions unlike anywhere else on earth.It comes personally competing in Boxing and Muay Thai ,and conditioning for them for decades, it comes having owning dogs that were worthy of a being known as a fighting dog for a fighting man, and conditioning them for decades.My understanding is a simple top down process as i have always been taught ,where the pit bull&terrier originates, as do its custom and tradition, from the last stronghold for them in Britain.It goes in this order,god, man, dog, chicken.
    No man has anything to learn about gameness bottom up from a dog unless he is a coward himself.Now where does your incomparable worldly understanding come from and what is it?

As for your final point you misunderstand what is stated,i stated dead game is the definition of gameness in a game dog, (as it is in man) and that the goal of conditioning is to produce a dead game dog(as it is in man).
    Dead game means extreme and accurate gameness up to the last breath in a dog(as it does in man) NOT simply a dog that dies in its effort.A living dog can be as dead game as its ancestors.I know this as my fellow countrymen invented the term along with the game dog, its custom and tradition.The body follows the will, not the other way round, and the conditioning process is desgined to allow the will to endure. No one stated conditioning determines any genetic limit.

19. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

Thanks slim12, yes in the past conditioners had to be creative out of necessity,and still do, but the more science is known, understood and utilized, the less necessity for creativities use. Which is why i disagree with your statement that art is far more important to success than science, to me its clearly the other way round.

As for art knowing when to stop a dog and letting the dog tell you when it has hit the optimal mark. That maybe how art does it but science understands when to stop a dog what the optimal mark is , when to hit it and why, by using science and the scientific method.
    Its better to take one step back to take two steps forward in conditioning and promote super compensation.What variables cripple science with a dog? Its not string theory or the mystery of the universe.

As for who a person would choose to shape their dog and decide which dogs to breed.Their comparisons of apples and oranges,it would be wiser to utilize both for different reasons.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
  20. slim12

Moot points. it is obvious you know nothing of gameness, other than words in print. There has never been a dead game dog that is still alive, a living dog can't be as 'dead game as his ancestors'. The operative word in dead game is 'dead', not 'game'.

This is getting close to being pointless. It is obvious you are far more educated than experienced. And I guess I am the other way around. If you can explain using science and the scientific method of when to stop a dog at its optimal point I can continue but if it is more inexperienced babbling I really can't do anymore.

I did type ten minutes and it should have been ten seconds. A speed error. My apologies.

But like I said, I no longer see the point in the conversation. I only post about things I have seen and experienced. Not the things I have read or heard. My experiences started in the late 70's and it has added up over the years. Again, I understand it is science, but a person's experiences are far more important. S