1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Muscle Physiology and Feeding the Performance/Working Dog

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Kelticwarrior, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

One has to accept in ones mind that these dogsARE PRIMARILY CARNIVOROUS ANIMALS. Once people can get their minds around this scientifically proven fact it will become easier to apply the nutritional requirements properly to a working weight pulling dog. Scientific studies done on Greyhounds from necropsies taken from the muscles of these dogs indicate that a Greyhound uses or depletes 80% of his glycogen levels over a 30 second race. This tells us that although the greyhound works on the fast glycolysis system his capacity to hold carbohydrates are very small even though he uses them primarily in the work he does. Scientific studies on long distance Sled dogs indicated that even though the Sled dogs were fed very low carbohydrate in their diets, the dogs glycogen levels in their muscles were still within normal levels after the race. This tells us that the Sled Dogs glycogen capacity or glycogen store is also small but he can maintain the glycogen levels from other sources like fat and protein through glyconeogenesis. From observing Bulldogs during weight pulling competitions it was apparent that these dogs use of glycogen from carbohydrates was much greater than both sled dogs and greyhounds but even so the ability to store glycogen in the liver, blood and muscles was still limited. The capacity for a bulldog to hold glycogen in muscles and liver increases as his keep progresses but it is still not a lot and would normally access this energy system first when starting his pull. One of the major problems with using carbohydrates in working dogs is that if the dog is fed too much you get a high insulin response which releases an enzyme called lipoprotein lipase (LPL) which in affect stops the release of fat as energy (lipolysis). One does not want this to happen twenty minutes into a weight pull because it will cause the dog to feel fatigued. A by product of burning carbohydrates for energy is also lactic acid, a situation that one would rather like to avoid as this also will cause the dog to feel fatigued and sore not long into the pull and could cause the dog to loose the competition. Carbohydrates are important, they need to be in the diet but the conditioner will have to work out the amount that best suits the dog. Scientific studies on working dogs have indicated that the carbohydrate portion of the working dogs diet are not as important as the fat and proteins in the diet.

2. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

You don't want lipolysis to take place or lipoprotein lipase to be released during the pull because the dog needs that fat for energy for the longer duration of the pull and it would have rendered the fat part feeding of the diet to the dog useless. Any excess carbs in the diet are metabolised into triglycerides anyway. The insulin transfers the glucose into the muscle cells to be used as energy any excess glucose becomes fat. Insulin also prevents the body from utilizing fat as energy. It causes the cells in the liver, muscle, and fat tissue to take up glucose from blood and convert it to glycogen that can be stored in the liver and muscles. So if you feeding too much carbs can be detrimental to the performance of the animal.

3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

In both topics my point all along is the bulldog guy must choose information provided/researched for other canine athletes and then apply it as necessary to the bulldog. The sled guy can't feed strictly a grey hound diet because the sled dog is sometimes asked to sprint at the end. The greyhound can't be fed a strict sled dog diet just because he is 'physiological' movement (running) is close to the same as a sled dog.

The information is out there, and it is scientifically based and scientifically supported, it is just not sport specific to the bulldog.

A dog will survive pretty much any way he is fed. But survive and thrive are moons apart. Optimal performance is the result of optimal nutrition.

I have never said carbs have no place or serve no purpose. I have never said the dogs have evolved to the point the carbs are useless. I said what I have found is the dogs do better on a high fat/high protein diet when under heavy load. The recovery process is much more efficient and the dogs maintain harder work for longer.

Now if I went to a higher carb diet maybe my dogs weight pull capability increases a few pounds. Maybe his sprint times decrease some. But those maximum numbers do not mean a lot to me. I am more concerned with when he can do it again. The higher fat/higher protein fed dogs get back quicker. This is based on the earliest part of my time with the dogs using higher carb diets, less fat and what I would now call a medium protein. Several years ago we started increasing the intensity of the work over longer durations and the recovery times were getting worse not better. We did some research here and there, checked out what the long distance endurance dogs working under load were doing (sled dogs) and started leaning there way in feeding. Once we had made considerable increases in fats and proteins with limited carbs, it was like an Ah hah! moment. Not only did the recovery times get much better but the ability to do even more work over longer durations started to happen.

I am no nutritional expert to say the least. I knew where we were at, I knew what we were doing and I knew where we wanted to go. I can't challenge a guy with a deeper scientific background than I have with 'big words' and 'snazzy phrases'. I can say we were at a good place, researched some information based on other performance dogs, made some changes and are now in a better place. That place includes high intensity training over longer durations fueled by a high fat/high protein/limited carb diet with faster recovery times over longer periods of time. This has moved us away from the 2 week pre-keep/7-8 weeks of work and a 1 week rest before show regimen. We are getting n faster, getting to maximum work, resting a couple three days and being ready for the show.

Science may say I am wrong. I do not have the time nor the energy to fight that battle. But if I am indeed wrong, or not educated in the subject, it is still a really good place. Maybe ignorance is bliss after all. S

4. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

You're not wrong cuz, at least you've taken the time out to put the theory into practice and it appears from your posts that you've been successful at your endeavours and have had good results. The simplest things work with these dogs but it is important to know how the muscles and energy systems function and from there it becomes easy to determine what works best nutritionally for the dog during keep and at the "work". I would just like to run something past you and would respect your opinion on the matter and that is with regards the percentages of protein and fat at the beginning of the keep and with regards to the percentages towards the end of the keep. Obviously a conditioner wouldn't bang the dog with 40% of his meals consisting of fat right at the beginning of the keep bearing in mind that the dog would be doing most of the muscle tearing phase in the first two or three weeks and would require the protein content of his meals to be of a higher percentage of the meals to aid in the repair process of the muscle. I would recon that the percentage of fat would be increased gradually over the period of the keep until the dog had reached his maximum tolerance level for the fat and the protein percentage decreased gradually as the dog becomes fitter. The dog would obviously also be taking in less than 20% of the meals in the form of carbohydrates so that would leave 80% of the meals to work with with regards the fat and protein content. It takes a while for a dog coming off commercial dog food to adapt to the fat so this adaptation phase would obviously be taking place prior to and then during the pre keep. Does this make sense?

5. slim12

That is pretty much where we are at. We do not just jump a dog to high fat/high protein diets, it is a gradual climb. We started the climb at the beginning of the work and the dogs ran hot early in the keep, for no better words, they kinda got it together at the end, and in the end was ahead of where we use to be at peak. In the Arleigh Reynolds sled dog articles from Musher magazine he talked about the acclimation to the change to high fat and the time it required. We backed up the time we started to ramp the high fat up to about 6-8 weeks prior to work and the dogs adjusted much better. Later we backed it up to 10-12 weeks prior to work. In the weeks prior it is maybe 30-35% fat/40-45%protein/the rest is a split of rice and greens. As the dog became acclimated the fats went up with the work load.

In the end we started feeding higher fat diets throughout the year to avoid the need for the acclimation time. Our dogs get plenty of exercise throughout the year. It is not like they sit on a chain 40 weeks a year and only work 12-14. We did see some issue with the higher fat fed dogs running hot if they did not have the high fat diet coupled with routine work. So high fat and no exercise is not the best plan.

I think that is where the disconnect is about the high fat/high protein/minimal carbs thought process. The dogs have been acclimated to the diet thru time and are worked under heavy load. Afterwards they are ramped back down to the 'year-round' amounts. The year-round amounts are still higher than the norm but coupled with work we are seeing no problems with weight management nor energy levels.

It is a process. S

6. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

Thanks slim12, this is what you stated:

"it is obvious you know nothing of gameness, other than words in print. There has never been a dead game dog that is still alive, a living dog can't be as 'dead game as his ancestors'. The operative word in dead game is 'dead', not 'game'.

If you think ive stated inexperienced babble and you have experience of gameness and mine is only knowledge of words in print, it would be wiser for me to ask you what dead game or dead game dog mean? what is the ultimate definition of gameness?

If their has never been a dead game dog that is still alive and the operative word is dead how can it be game? if it refers to the gameness it showed before it died why cant the reverse apply ? if it simply means the type of dog, is a 10min former cur who dies game the same as a 10min dead game dog or a 2hr dead game dog? you state a living dog cant be as dead game as his ancestors, why not? if its ancestors died at the hour mark, why cant it do as good?
    thanks.

7. slim12

There are levels of gameness. Dead game is the ultimate level. There is no higher level, and once a dog is declared dead game he is then dead. There is no such thing as a living dead game. Maybe there are opinions that a certain dog would have continued and been described as dead game, but if he is still living he didn't go the distance.

With that said, anyone who has ever left a dog down long enough to see dead gameness is a dumbass as there is nothing desirable about a dead game dog. Again, in that phrase the operative word is dead, not game.

A dead game dog expires during his last efforts. The dog that still had the will and the desire to continue against unconquerable circumstances and expires in doing so. There is no value in a dead game dog. Again, dead being the operative word.

Gameness itself is a subjective term. Many people have many different definitions. Truly game dogs are the exception not the rule. A dog that makes a chin scraping, chest dragging scratch today may hang it up tomorrow. The first day he was a very deep game dog, the next day he is a cur. Most curs do not get the chance to reverse that scenario as the time and money invested factors into that decision.

I read a lot of definitions of gameness, agree with some, differ with others, mostly because most definitions are based on personal preference or personal opinion. For me, I use the term game enough, as long as he made his last scratch straight and true with the intent to engage all is well. Dogs only have to be game enough to win. There is no need to find out how game they are, just if they are game enough. S

8. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

I'm glad you mentioned "running hot" because all dogs will experience this phenomena during work. The hot spot actually happens when the dog switches over from the glycotic system to the oxidative system the by product of this being heat as the body starts burning fat for energy within the mitochodria/muscle cells and this process requires the presence of oxygen to happen. The fast and slow glycolysis system requires no oxygen to be present for it to function. What happens then is the dog will get his second wind as some people call it but it is actually the oxidative system that is coming into play and when the dog starts using his fat stores for energy and it will seem as if the dog starts working at a different intensity. You can't prevent the dog from experiencing this hot spot but through the conditioning program/keep the dog can become accustomed/used to going through the initial hot spot (entering the oxidative system) through training the body to do this during the keep which will enable him to get through the initial hot spot quickly and easily so that he can continue along with his work.

9. slim12

Very true. S

10. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...good posts lads....

11. slim12

Running hot is based on science. Recognizing a dog to that is beginning to run hot is an art. There is a specific time, an optimal point, where the dog must be stopped, allowed to 'cool' or gather himself and then re-started. Stopping a minute too soon and the overall conditioning can't really get any better. Stop a minute late and recovery times get no better and actual health concerns can arise. The dogs individual conditioning, the length, duration and intensity of the work, the working temperature and humidity, even the dog's coat color must be factored is when deciding on that optimal moment.

The true conditioners are the ones that can say this is enough for 'today' even if he was able to do more 'yesterday'. Every day, every dog, every choice of work is different. Nothing trumps experience when conditioning a bulldog. S

12. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

When the dog goes in for his weight pull competition you can't just say ok now I'm going to stop him so he can cool off, the dog must be conditioned to handle that initial hot spot through training in the keep prior to the competition so he can get through it quick. The dog will experience hot spot as he switches over to the oxidative energy system, just got to get the dog accustomed to what happens when it does because it is a situation that IS going to happen during the pull, can't get away from it because it is how the energy delivery system works. Once that glycogen level is down the dog HAS to switch the energy system onto the oxidative system and unfortunately the switch generates heat, dog got to be able to get through it on his own and training during the keep would have got him accustomed to doing that.

13. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...so to switch from one to the other......???????????

14. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

thanks slim12,Gameness cant be subjective as a state it has only one meaning when the adjective sense modifys the noun, it means brave spirited and courageous. The noun (ness)in gameness modifys the condition and the state,so gameness can only mean brave spiritedness and courageousness.

Dead is an adjectival sense of measure (utter absolute extreme accurate quite) in the first adjectival sense and (without life) in the second in context.Only the first adjectival sense of measure applies at all times and in all uses.So dead game is an absolute measure of gameness in both the living and the dead.It cannot have levels or be subjective in and of itself by nature and a living game dog must be dead game to be a true measure of its nature.The two adjectival senses of measure only apply when the animal is deceased. At all times the first adjectival sense applies to the nouns so dead game dog means the absolute measure of courage in a game dog not simply a deceased game dog.

The way you use and understand dead and dead game dog cannot be the ultimate definition or level because it applies the use of the first adjective to mean only one thing deceased. Making all measurement of the ultimate level the same no matter how great or small.It also makes dead game of no value to a game dog and the measure in death no matter how great or small to be be more important than the measure in life.

15. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

Kelticwarrior,that isnt what happens, a dog running hot is a matter of heat build up through intensity of effort and its duration and the inability to dissipate it.Its directly down to faster more powerful and stronger contractions and their need and use over time.The hot spot switching from the glycolytic to the oxidative is caused by the need and duration of the glycolytic not the oxidative.Fast glycolytic doesnt need oxygen because its anaerobic but slow glycolytic does use oxygen making it aerobic.

The second wind in context is a matter of heat dissipation through exhalation,reduction in intensity of effort and the fuel debt being paid to allow further contractions via energy produced via the the fast glycolytic process, slow glycolytic process or via the oxidative process at a lower intensity of effort. When the body switches to fat to fuel contraction it can only do so by a reduction in intensity of effort.In conditioning, the hot spot from glycolytic to oxidative is a matter of lessening the reliance and duration of the need for anaerobic glycolytic energy production at every effort level.That makes max strength and powers relation to it critical to efficiency in the type of strength desired, use of the energy systems and heat build up.If you can get your mind round that you might be able to understand the importance of carbs and their utilization in conditioning.

16. slim12

Thanks for the grammar lesson. There is no value in a deceased dog be it game, cur or anywhere in between. Dead game is a phrase, not just the combination of two words. Dead game can only obtained/attained in one manner. That one manner leaves the dog dead or deceased or not living or not having life as a direct result of his brave spirit and courageousness.

There is no way to accurately portray a living dog as dead game. We can venture a guess that this particular dog would continue until he died but that is all that it would be a guess or speculation. It is like saying Chinaman would have beat Zebo. A person can believe that with all his heart but there is no way to prove the point. Same thing with projecting what a dog will do as he approaches death's door. Can't be done. Can't be explained away with simple definitions.

Game is a subjective term when used in reference to game dogs. One man's game is another man's cur. Same with junk and treasure. Two entirely different definitions. Ask two different people about an antique and to one it is treasure and another it is junk. Same with the term game. Mt. Man's Bandit stood on all fours. I personally know two people who have many years in the dogs, witnessed some of the greats and they will damn near fall to fighting over Bandit. One says he straight curred, taking the count on all fours. The other says he was stopped, was in shock and could no longer go. Two different people with experience, same dog, two opinions, so game, in reference to the dogs, is a subjective term.

And again, there is no value to any dog that is dead. S

17. sweetscience

sweetscience Big Dog

Slim i agree with most all of your posts. I feel you truely offer knowledgeable advice and input, thank you.Can you share what types of fat used in this application?

18. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

Them bulldogs can "switch" between energy systems like voodoo magic as the need for it requires them to do it.

19. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

I also think so.

20. slim12

I use lots of different fats, mostly based on cost and availability. The majority of the fat I use is beef fat. Trimmings from choice cuts from the grocery store. I use lard and chicken fat as well. I also use cooked greases from fried chicken or fired fish.

If I am buying a particular cut to give me a good combination of protein and fat it is cow cheek. Not a lot of stores carry it anymore but it is a good fatty cut of meat. It was a solid source for a number of years. S