1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

My little boy is super skinny; But Can't increase food without upsetting his stomach

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Lovepup, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

When I first obtained Jud about a month ago he was covered in fleas and filled with parasites. Two flea baths later and a trip to the vet and no more fleas and no more parasites. But he has lost weight and I have attempted to increase is feed ... But it hurts his tummy and gives him the runs. But I need to put at least 5 pounds on him. I can see his hip bones and way too much spine and ribs. I was wondering if maybe anyone has an Idea of what I could do?

First vet visit he was 42 pounds. Second vet visit he was 40 Pounds.

I feed Medium Quality Kibble. First ingredient is a meal .No Corn but does have Grain in it (Plan on changing soonish)

He WAS fed 1 cup in the morning (after noon) and 1 cup at night with treats for training. when his tummy got upset he was being fed 2 cups in the morning and 1 at night. Now he is back to the original feeding but it is clearly not enough.

Jud A month ago:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jud Now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. determination

determination Big Dog

Re: My little boy is super skinny; But Can't increase food without upsetting his stom

Increase calories look up the recipe for satin balls on here you can try adding lard

3. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Re: My little boy is super skinny; But Can't increase food without upsetting his stom

Instead of increasing food intake increase the amount of fat in the food. Try this:
    [video=youtube;QgA1BKiy4Oc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgA1BKiy4Oc&list=UUCL6_OO4gcXKn0KsCpi0mQw&index=6&feature=plpp_video"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgA1BKiy4Oc&list=UUCL6_OO4gcXKn0KsCpi0mQw&index=6&feature=plpp_video[/video]

4. determination

determination Big Dog

^^^that works satin balls add weight it shouldnt take to long that dog doesn't look that skinny

5. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Yeah, I wouldn't put that much weight on him... keep a dog lean will make him happier during the hot summer, wait till its cold before you get him fat, lol.

6. determination

determination Big Dog

I would definitely change the dog food purina one is a easy to get dog food thats cheap has meat as the first ingredient and some dogs do very good on it stay away from dog foods that use know carcinogen in it their is alot of good information on feeding on this site and remember not all dog do good on the same food

7. punch650

punch650 Big Dog

Try worming out

8. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

Hmm the Satin balls seem like a good idea. I think its worth a shot. I'll talk to my husband about it when he gets home and see about picking up the ingredients when he gets paid thursday.

9. determination

determination Big Dog

i agree and if the dog is outside add weight before it gets to cold

10. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

I Am NOT going back to Purina LOL!!! I just got off that food and I am feeding one a little better then Purina.

11. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

And for the most part my dogs are very lean.

My Bitch Snow:
    [​IMG]

If I could get him to that condition that would be perfect. Heck He didn't look too bad weighing 42 pounds. I just need weight on him. He looks too thin to me.

12. determination

determination Big Dog

Its not my first choice but i thought it may be better than what your where feeding because it has meat as the first ingredient i like Orejin or evo Salmon and herring if iam feeding kibble and by the way nice looking dogs

13. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

I use Taste of the wild. There are a bunch of good feeds, that may seem like a lot more money, but the dog does not need as much of some of the better ones, and their shit will be hard and easy to pick up. Your dogs structure looks a lot like my Colby boy. :) Looks to be in good shape now vs before.

Could need some dewormer?
    Shits are never good. I saw lil blood in a stool and a worm, so I quickly dewormed all mine. Always a good idea.

I do remember snow. Do you remember talking to me about year or two ago on another board?

14. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

deworming is definitely a good idea... I do mine once every 3 months

15. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

His 'shits' didn't have any blood or mucus in it. So I ruled out parasites. Today his poop is back to normal. But I have only fed him a cup of food. I added some fat yogurt to his food this morning also. I hate fat free stuff. Ick. I am going to just keep feeding him like I have been and until we get paid and then I am going to look into changing to a kibble higher in fat.

As for the Colby comment; I want to say he is from Colby bloodline. He also looks like JoeBino's pup Mason. Which also makes me believe he isn't just some random byb pup.

Last snow. I might have spoken to you about her! If i had, it was sooo long ago LOL. She has Hip Problems so keeping her lean and in shape is very very important. ^^ I love her so much, as I do Jud, She is a wonderful dog and beautiful.

@deter - thanks! ^^ I work hard to keep them in top shape. And Jud's condition is very important since I Do want to do work with him. So proper weight and muscle gain is very very important. Not saying Jud is any more important then Snow. Snow is just a Pet dog due to her hips.

16. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

Probably wouldn't hurt getting some more dewormer though come to think about it...

17. Jim R

Jim R Banned

how active is he? i'd check for tapeworms since you mentioned having to give him multiple flea baths. "fat free" crap usually has a larger amount of sugars in one form or another. if you want to give him something with fat, just give him fat. or give him some chicken hearts. dairy is not the best of choices or anything else that isn't nutrient dense. good luck he has nice markings and a good looking coat from the pics.

18. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

The Yogurt was actually for his stomach LOL.

As fir buying fat to feed him; its gotta wait until thursday. And on 07/17/12 the vet checked him for parasites and said he had none.

19. Jim R

Jim R Banned

oh i forgot to mention, canola oil is awful, btw.

20. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

^^ I wasn't going to buy Canola Oil. I was thinking of just finding lard and trying that with his kibble. oh and he is very very active. @.@