1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

need help...

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by dustin, Sep 27, 2004.

1. dustin

dustin Pup

my fiance's dog is 3-1/2 months old and he's SKINNY. I just changed his diet from eukanuba to diamond. the only time i've seen him fat is when i fed him a couple pieces of steak we had left over from texas land and cattle. but when he eats he seems to distracted by everything else to care about eating?

What can I do to put some weight on his skinny ass?

2. dustin

dustin Pup

oh yeah he weights about 17 lbs right now.

3. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

He seems like a big healthy boy too me (3 ½ months- 17 lbs.) Depending on what his bloodline is. What do you consider “skinny”? Make sure he has no worms.<O:p</O:p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2004
  4. PhillyPitty

PhillyPitty Banned

when knuckles was a pup all he did was eat but now as he gets older he eats when he feels like it, he may not eat when we lookin but he always eats before he goes to sleep lol

5. AC

AC Big Dog

There's your problem you're free feeding. Only put down the bowl and let him eat as much as he wants to eat in a 10-15 min. period of time. If he doesn't eat pick up the bowl and offer it in a few hours. He'll learn that when the bowl is given he better eat instead of walking off. I have some 3 1/2 mo. old pups and just weighed my female yesterday she is 17.7 lbs but she's small and chubby. I only feed her once a day 2 cups of feed high in fat (20%) and (30%) protein. Her and her bro are not skinny and are already on the chain. I'll take pics of them today and post them later.

6. dustin

dustin Pup

we're not free feeding. feed him twice a day.

7. AC

AC Big Dog

Do you leave the feed in the bowl even if he doesn't eat it?

8. dustin

dustin Pup

we leave it.. just don't let him eat.. still house training him... should we pick the bowl up?

9. AC

AC Big Dog

Yes picking it up is better it will help him become accustomed to eating as soon as you lay down the food.

10. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

Are you talking about the dog “Damien @ 3months” in the photo section? If you are that pup is not too skinny. He has a nice layer of fat on him for his age.

11. dustin

dustin Pup

yeah that's the one.. we weighed him yesterday.. he's @ 19 lbs. we just changed his diet and he's got the runs so now he's hardly eating at all.. but he seems to be doing better today and a lot more lively.

12. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“we just changed his diet and he's got the runs so now he's hardly eating at all..”
    That should tell you allot about the quality of feed you’re feeding him (diarrhea). A premium food will not upset your dog’s digestive system with sudden changes.<O:p</O:p

“but he seems to be doing better today and a lot more lively.”
    That’s good best of luck with him.

13. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

You can give the dog some pepto for his stomach...should help with the runs...
    BB

14. dustin

dustin Pup

i switched from eukanuba to diamond... is that a bad switch?

15. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

Like everyone says you need to feed your dog a good diet. I mean I have different methods of feeding. I just use a raw diet. But if I had to use a food I would use diamond. I've had good results with it in the past, and decided to switch my dogs to raw(for personal preferences). But all foods out there aren't for every dog. You just have to find whats best for yours. Good luck!

16. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

I would not feed a mutt Diamond let alone my performance dogs. There are better choices out there (Martins k9, Chicken Soup, Canidae, Innova, etc.). Most use Diamond because it is CHEAP.

17. dustin

dustin Pup

i don't care how expensive it is..i want to know the best food for my dogs...

i have a 9 month old female that's 55 lbs and a 3-1/2 month old male that's 19lbs... give me suggestions please.

18. karnage

karnage Pup

konnections, how do you feed your dog the raw diet? Do you for example give her chicken quarters one day and the beef liver the day after and mix and match?Or is there another way