1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

new dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by chloesredboy, Jul 18, 2007.

1. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

I need help setteling an argument,When bringing a new dog home,will the established dogs be more tolerant and accepting of a pup than would of a grown dog?Any opinions appreciated,thanks.

2. CRG

CRG Top Dog

Depends on the dog that is already established temperment. I've seen some accept pups and some that will not tolerate them at all. Imo you have a better chance with a pup then a full grown dog.

3. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

I agree,if the dog /dogs just are not accepting of other dogs in the first place,i think they would more accepting of a pup.My friend says it doesnt matter because the new dog will still have to establish its place regardless of age,which i know is true.i just feel like a pup would have a better chance because it would not be as likely as an adult dog to challenge another for dominance.Pups usually know their place and i think the other dogs would be more forgiving of a pup that gets out of place than an older dog trying to challenge for rank.My friens says that it doesnt matter because once the new dog got put in it's place it wouldnt try to challenge again ,which i think is B.S.

4. That is definately B.S.

5. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

I have found pups are usually accepted better than adults unless your current dogs are old. Older dogs don't always tolerate puppy energy very well.

6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I agree. When I brought home Savage, 3 dogs did ok with him. Within 2 days, only 1 dog tolerated him & the rest thought he was fair game.

7. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

my dogs would tolerate a puppy..but even then you need to know how to introduce them...one at a time and slowly...i put the puppy in the house next to me on the couch and let one dog at a time come in see the pup and i have a talk with them.