1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

New Proposed Photo Contest Direction

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by mydawgs, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

this is true. rep points to you.

*shrug* ... i'm just bummed. jeeperino made a suggestion. and yes, it did spark debate among the members, but the defenses went up so quick, and people assumed that there was an imaginary line being drawn between the members.

i don't see that as the case.

from a lot of people's responses, even if they were sarcastic, came across to me that on some level they agreed with the suggestion made.

it doesn't matter what happens, or what rules you change. tomorrow, next week, and next month, there'll be that many more new members with their own questions, their own dogs they want to show off, and the cycle goes on and on.

those who want to vote for a dog that fits the standard will. and those that don't, won't. but, as you said, as the website becomes a larger and more integrated community...

...he hit that on the mark. And as the general population of the site continues to grow, the majority of the members will will be JQP (i'm as much as an average joe as the next guy). And then the general direction of the site will shift away from game-bred dogs and towards pet bulls, bullys, etc etc.

i know the mods are busy. and the owners. i still help moderate my old roommate tony's site, pbnation.com he started that shit when we were freshman in HS. got the idea when we went to the waffle house late one night. he dropped out of college his soph yr to persue his website fulltime. it's now the biggest paintball community on the internet, and the largest organized sports forum on the internet, period. i know how daunting and annoying it is to deal with kiddies, flamers, spammers, idiots, and everything else that comes with moderatin a large forum.

i bet you'd get more than one volunteer if you posted a thread asking for some. not saying i would or wouldn't, it'd depend on how much i had on my plate at that time. having one dog inside and the mutt out on her chain gives me a little time to screw off on-line before i go to work each day, but if i get a second one this fall, then i'll probably move to lurking due to lack of time :o

anyways, some folks had good points, as it really would be useless to try and enforce stricter rules. it'd be a bigger headache in the end.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2007
  2. Grizzly

Grizzly Big Dog

Very well spoken!!!!!!!!!

3. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

K -

And as the general population of the site continues to grow, the majority of the members will will be JQP (i'm as much as an average joe as the next guy). And then the general direction of the site will shift away from game-bred dogs and towards pet bulls, bullys, etc etc.

Well this is one way to anticipate the outcome of the growth and development of this site as it matures, here is another:

As the general population continues to grow, AND IF the majority of the members become JQP, a great wealth of information shall be spread and understood about the old ways and how this breed needs to be tended to in order for this beautiful animal to survive in it's original form. My theory is JQP will be moved to the GOOD side because the doggers here are game and will never concede anything less than this breed deserves - so JQP will stay and understand (although they may decide the old ways are not for them) or they will go and join another site where you cannot talk about Game and how it was preserved hystorically.

My point - the APBT experts on this site will never let it roll to a site that does not celebrate this dog as it was bred to be, although I am a pet bull owner, the day that happens (which it won't) is the day I will pack my pet bull bags and move on as well.

As far as Speeds dogs go...I LUV THEM...he is wonderful with his animals. But sometimes the judges are looking at or for something different. I am a competitive body builder and I can't tell you the number of times the judges just simply picked another competitor for some reason that I will never get, judging appearances is subjective and even though there are standards judges have the obligation to interpret what they are judging to those standards....and thank God there is some variety...don't you think????

4. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

true. it is subjective. and everyone does have their own tastes. it would be boring if the same dog(s) won consistently in these fun little photo contests. and it is a nice way to see what everyone's dogs/pets/(whatever they are to you) look like.

5. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

IMO this whole thing is f'n lame. If you don't like the flippin' dog, don't vote for it. To cry about something as trivial as a photo contest when we have BSL being passed all over the place is just insane. IT'S A DANG ONLINE PHOTO CONTEST. Who cares?? It's just a little thing we do for fun to show off our dogs. Or at least I thought it was something we did for fun, until people started hacking up cats b/c the dog they thought should have won didn't.

Get a grip people. There are infintely more important things to do that cry about who should or should not be in what catregory in an online photo contest! :rolleyes:

6. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Hey I have some of that fur ball medicine.....you need any? Nice to hear from you ABK!!!!! Did Attila let you borrow that hacken up cats line, you know how he LUVs the felines yuk yuk yuk

7. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

LMAO, no I don't need any fur ball medication, but some others might. My bung-hole isn't squeezed so tight that I get in a wrap about an online photo contest. So my cats are fine & my fur balls are right where they should be ... in the drain of my bathtub. lol.

(Ha ha, bet ya'll thought I was gonna say something nasty didn't you! Shame on you! :D )

And no, AM didn't have anything to do w/ my cat line. It just popped in my head when I thought that the term "hacking up fur balls" wouldn't properly descibe their behaviour some people were displaying on such an insipid subject. They were having such a hissy, I figured they must be hacking up the whole darn cat!

(See hacked up cat below)

[​IMG]

8. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

He's always been big. Even at his lowest weight he appears "large".

Not that you care, but I am getting his weight back down. Thanks for insulting a DOG and not directly speaking to me.

9. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I thought the ear phones pic was pretty cute myself.

What is he listening to when he has those on anyway?

10. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Thank you. He wasn't listening to anything, I just happened to take the picture at exactly the right moment and caught a very good expression. He didn't even try to take them off--no flipping of the head, pawing, or anything. He is a very mellow and patient boy.

11. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

TOO funny!!!

12. May I ask why you though it would offend me? I think it is funny!

13. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

I didn't think it would offend you however out of respect for your duty as manager of the contest I just felt you should know I checked myself and my warped sense of humor.

14. I see......well no offense here....like I said, I though it was pretty humorous myself.
    As far as some of the people and the way they feel.....it can't be helped, feelings are what they are. You can;t always change those at the flip of a dime. But, on a side note, I do think that some things sometimes tend to come out a little different than people wanted them to, and others, well I think that everybody takes things differently than the next person. I think everybody should TRY to consider EVERYONE's feelings....
    (not saying this directed towards you) just in general!
    I still think its funny though! LOL...DNA profiled to enter!!!!! LMAO!

15. jdbpitbull

jdbpitbull Big Dog

i have a feeling my petbull is one of the ones getting pointed out by these paticular people that are hacking up these hole cats!LOL but guess what he is a very well bred dog but i dont condition him, i dont breed him! he is well mannered and well behaved and guess what he is helping on this side of BSL by acting as well as he does so regardless of what everyone thinks we are all in the same battle so lets stop fighting amongst ourselves and fight together and win a war that is worth winning! because mutant, mixed breed, show bred ,butt ass ugly it will still be considered a pitbull in the media! cause this whole issue is crap! hell me personally think martys dog looks better and more conditioned than any of them (LIL BIT) but who cares it is FOR FUN! if you dont like the dog dont vote for it because I am pretty sure everyone has there own oppinions about looks and what the standard should be and you cant call someone s dog not game if it has never been tested so unless your doing some very illegal testing then who says what dog is game? after all some of the best bred and papered dogs were curs because they wouldnt fight and some of the worst bred and mutant looking dogs were damn good game dogs! SO basically this is a pointless conversation and for those who are over the contest yall are doing a damn good job! and for those that are making a point that we have better things to worry about than a FUN PHOTO CONTEST!(claps to ya) and for those that are making an issue saying the forum is going to a petbull forum well um marty, attila, purple pig, suki, mia, and (the others i didnt name) they sure aint gonna let that happen ive learned a lot by asking my STUPID questions i ve gotten bashed but most of all ive gotten taught about GAME DOGS and got to pass my knowledge off to others in my home town so! leave it be! this forum has been going on for far to long i used to be a member several yrs ago under a different name until i moved and still some of these real gamedoggers are on here so it hasnt changed yet and i dont see it changing but molding into a community that helps ,teaches and shows the unknowledged people how to and what not to do!

16. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

Not much I can say at this point. To each his own.

If people are happy having subpar dogs and curs, so be it. I myself DESPISE curs and so do MANY other dogmen.

A while back I was talkin to a friend about dogs when I was first getting started. He was tellin me about cur medicine and I asked him why they were so strict and quick to eliminate a dog. He responded "There aint no need for em'" and thats all he said. That paticular convo stuck with me for a long time and I thought about it 100's of times before it REALLY stuck with me and I learned that all personal feelings aside there really is no need for them.

17. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Thats an interesting thought....all personal feelings aside an all. I was having a conversation with an aquaintance, he trains dogs for the military. He said with the laws being what they are today he just could not see the purpose for a game APBT as they can't legally do their traditional work anymore there is no need for this kind of working dog. I have heard this conversation thousands of times, and I have to say many well respected trainers agree with this man, and all I can say is thank God we live in a country where I don't have to eat his personal beliefs...at least not yet. So your right to each his own....and pray it stays that way.

18. simms

simms CH Dog

Let em have thier contest, No skin of your back in the scheme of things. Not much you can do about the petbull population at hand.

Good to know that you will not likely be contributing to the pet population in the future. Gamedog is not for everybody and the gamedog is the standard!

19. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

OK, let's put this on the other foot. What is the reason of the game dog?

You say you want a hog dog? Get a Dogo.
    You say you want a pull dog? Get an AmBulldog.
    You say you want a show dog? Get a show bred pittie.
    You say you want a protector? Get a Doberman.
    You say you want a loyal pet? Get a German Shepherd.
    You say you want a family dog good w/ the kids? Get a Golden Retriever.

Just as your friend says there is "no reason for them" (pet bulls), in today's day in age there is also "no reason for them" (game bred pit bull) b/c everything a game bred pit bull can do can be fufilled by another breed.

The fact is only legit "reason" there is for either type of bulldog to exist is plain & simple - you just want one. Some ppl admire the game dog, while others cherish the pet bull. And so long as the pet bull ppl don't try to represent their dogs as pit bulls, I see no problem.

(BTW I am an advocate of the American game dog. I just wanted to turn this around a bit to see how some of the game doggers here feel when the shoe is put on the other foot! ;))

20. puregame

puregame Big Dog

Well actually game-bred dogs do make really good catch dogs :D

(and yes I did get the point you were trying to make;) )