1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ol Roy?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by kalenhcc, Oct 30, 2010.

1. kane85

kane85 Top Dog

To each his own on what they feed but hell even the old timers were feeding old Roy back in the day what you think we had high quality food like they have now hell no at least something is better then nothing

2. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

garbage food is garbage food, no sugar coating it.
    why feed garbage food if you are going to rationalize it by supplementing? why not feed a decent food in the first place?
    look at the chemicals aswell.
    sure, alot of "old timers" fed what we would call garbage by today's standards. hell, what i fed 20 years ago i would NOT feed my dogs today...but at the time it was what we thought was a good, quality kibble. (iams, eukanuba, science diet- these were supposed to be top shelf back then)

3. n2bulldogs

n2bulldogs Banned

:winnertrophysign:

4. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

^ Seriously.

Affordable, quality dog food is not an oxymoron.

5. PIt4life

PIt4life Banned

If you go to Petsmart try Authority, not the best dog food but great for the price. 35lbs for 30 bucks.
    Or Taste of the Wild (grain free), now at PetSupermarket is 30lbs for 42 bucks.

You get what you pay for.

6. GI Joe

GI Joe Big Dog

hell 20 years ago I fed Pro 18 it was what I could afford I was a teenager and fed my 11 dogs of of $10 allowance thats per week.That and scraps from neighbors now I spend about $80 a month for 6 dogs.on the look out for a fresh road kill(deer) almost saw one get hit the other day.

7. Blau

Blau Big Dog

I feed my dog Natural Balance, but I think it's like $55 a bag... lmao.

8. spliff

spliff Big Dog

i feed Eagle Pack http://www.eaglepack.com/product-orignal-dog.aspx?product=84 its a pretty good food for the money at about $32 for a 30lbs bag.although it might cost a little more per lbs. you don't have to feed as much and you don't have as much of a mess in the yard.i have feed ol roy in the past with out problems but to me it is the equivalent to a human living on mcdonalds..

9. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

I'd rather own less dogs so I can feed better food, than to have a bunch of dogs on cheap food... JMO

10. xx24x7xx

xx24x7xx Big Dog

Sportsmix 24/20 only like 23 bucks for 50lb bags round my way. . .Any thoughts on it?

I spend like 80-90 a month to feed 8. . .even fed it to 1 of my bitches after weaning the pups off...weight came back n like wk-2 wks w/ jus 2 cups a day. With no probs

11. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

my parents have fed their dogs that sportmix for years. their dogs do just fine on it but it winds up costing them the same in the long run as it does for me to feed mine and mine get better quality food and look healthier.

12. Bassman

Bassman Banned

Thats a decent feed, but it still has FILLERS.......here is a list of ingredients in sportmix 24/20............... Meat Meal, Ground Yellow Corn, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Brewers Rice, Dried Beet Pulp, Menhaden Fish Meal, Flaxseed, Salt, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Copper Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Magnesium Oxide.

13. Bassman

Bassman Banned

If you spent 3 more dollars a bag, you could get Diamond Naturals or another brand of feed that has less fillers. Spending the extra 3 dollars a bag would provide you a feed with Chicken or Lamb as the #1 ingredient, it would also eliminate the fillers like CORN, SOY, WHEAT, and BY PRODUCTS.

14. Bassman

Bassman Banned

If you think about it, a dog in the wild wouldnt choose Corn, Soy, or Wheat as part of it's diet, so why would you spend money on a feed that has ingredients your dogs doesnt want or need?

15. thall28

thall28 Big Dog

I feed black gold ultimate adult all natural

16. WatchThis

WatchThis Banned

You better research this TERM: menadione sodium bisulfate complex...... Black Gold product contains menadione… a controversial form of vitamin K linked to liver toxicity, allergies and the abnormal break-down of red blood cells.

17. xx24x7xx

xx24x7xx Big Dog

True true BM...Well due to some BS....I now only have 1 to feed an I made the switch to the Diamond. Since she's small, an gainning her weight back from an accidental breeding. She only had 6 (none made it) but they took it AALLLL out of her. That was a couple wks ago an Im gonna start with D.puppy see how that does with her an go frm there.

18. nanney1

nanney1 Pup

I know this is an old thread, but.... I tend to ask folks at the dog park what they feed their dogs if their dogs are in good condition or I've petted them and the coat is soft.

One day I noticed a Boxer running and jumping non stop. He was as hyper as a puppy, but obviously mature in size. He was thicker and more muscular than any Boxer I've ever seen, and his muscle had noticeable definition. He would hardly wait for you to pet his shiny coat before he bounded off again.

I asked his owner if he regularly exercised his dog or whether he had access to a large area to run in. The guy said he had a fenced in yard but the dog kept jumping the fence and running the neighborhood. So, as a young dog, he had to kennel him in a 6 ft tall kennel. But he scaled that, then jumped the fence again, and roamed some more. So, he had to cover his kennel. He said he tried to walk the dog once a day and take him to the dog park once a week. But other than that, he was in the kennel which I think he said was 10X10.

Despite his limited place for exercise, he was in great shape. He was running when I got there and he was running when I left. The dog was 3 or 4 years old.

Because of his great condition, I also asked what he was fed. And the guy said Ol' Roy Meat Chunks and Gravy. Dog looked great.

19. pitbullnebula

pitbullnebula Banned

go raw its cheaper than the more expensive dog food and gives your dogs more energy and they will love you for it chicken quarters chicken gizzards and chickenlivers is the cheapest way to go with raw

20. JTC

JTC Big Dog

i have fed raw several times, but it always ends up i am too busy of a person to mess with it. i liked the way my dogs looked on it, i liked the non smelly shit, but that is the truth i am too busy to do that anymore. last week was a rough one, money was tight. i got a bag of ol roy, otherwise i feed sportmix 24/20 it is 24.99 per bag where i live, i like it a lot but if times are tough ol roy is fine with me.