1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ol Roy?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by kalenhcc, Oct 30, 2010.

1. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

ol' roy is not the worst thing you can do feed wise...but not the best either...if it is the best you can do the dog will be fine...dogs have performed and lasted on worse...i grew up on a yard that fed Field Trial for years...this stuff would swell to nearly three times the chunk size when soaked in water...it was basically corn, cardboard and something to bind it together....his dogs ran with some of the big name breeders and big name dogs of yesteryear...my first one lived happily and healthy on Field Trial for 11 years....a dog will survive on Ol' Roy but he will not thrive on it...these hounds are very adaptable....US1

2. slim12

i too have fed the cheap stuff over the years....feed that works out to a dollar or more a pound is out of the question when feeding a lot of dogs (then why don't i reduce the number of dogs??? blah blah blah blah)....i have fed cheap stuff, fed raw when i did reduce the number of dogs and went to bag food when the numbers and the lack of time made raw difficult...with that said....the best two bags of feed i have ever used was Buddy Boy 22/16 and 24/20...i think 22/16 is like $22 per 50lbs...crappy ingredients i know...not top of the line by any means....but the dogs looked good, acted good and performed well with it...outside right now is a 12 year old bitch that looks and acts like she is 5....a large part of her life has been on Buddy Boy....so if the original poster is doing the best he can right now with Ol' Roy the dog will be just fine...if nothing else toss in a half a multivitamin every other day and the dog will be your best fiend for a long time to come....US1

3. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Lol fuck that! Spend the extra $5 n get on sum diamond naturals!

4. slim12

without a doubt....but...$5 more is nothing when feeding one dog with one bag of food...but when buying by the pallet $5 per bag gets it up there quick...not saying it is the best route for all....but when feeding a bag a day...$5 adds up quickly...US1

5. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

yeah if i had that many dogs id prolly farm my own food!! i like bucks idea with the rabbits...

6. StosMan

StosMan Big Dog

Rabbits are not going to do it unless you add supplemental fat to the diet. I asked him about that and he never responded.

7. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

??? U can control the fat??? Just make the rabbits fatter! Lol

8. StosMan

StosMan Big Dog

LOL- OK, but by the time it takes to make them bunnies fat (don't forget to factor in cost as well as the cost of time) you would be better off supplementing it with bacon fat or another source of animal fat. Any guy that say rabbits is all they feed are either not winning or not being honest with you on their feed.

9. BullDawg

BullDawg Big Dog

Ol Roy Complete's ingredients:
    Ingredients: Ground yellow corn, meat and bone meal, soybean meal, poultry by-product meal, animal fat (preserved with BHA and citric acid), corn gluten meal, natural flavor, brewers rice, salt, potassium chloride, color added (titanium dioxide, yellow #5, yellow #6, red #40, blue #2), choline chloride, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, niacin, copper sulfate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, manganous oxide, calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin supplement, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt carbonate

personally i would steer a person away from feed whose ingredients contain: poultry by-products=waste from slaughter houses, is unfit for human consumption, not that we'd eat it, but just making a point, and almost none of which has any nutritional value for a dog. nor does corn, their 1st ingredient, thus the most prevalant in the bag. preservatives such as BHA, BHT, and ethoxyquin are linked to numerouse health-related problems including liver disease. look at ol roy's preservative: BHA.
    "Ethoxyquin is a chemical preservative – and possible carcinogenic – regulated by the FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) as a pesticide. While ethoxyquin cannot be used in human foods, it continues to be used in many pet food brands. Ethoxyquin has been found to promote kidney carcinogenesis and significantly increase the incidence of stomach tumors and enhanced bladder carcinogesis, according to several studies, including a recent one by The Department of Pathology, Nagoya City University Medical School, Japan". some dof food manufacturers simply list it as "E".

in short, we all feed what we can afford to feed, but based on this food's 1st 4 ingredients, which are listed by weight, i'd pass in this feed and find something better suited for a dog. agreed, "garbage food is garbage food" NO getting around that! output of a dog will only ever be as good as its input...

10. StosMan

StosMan Big Dog

But you realize that dogs have an amazing ability to utilize terrible sources of "food." Remember, years ago dogs competed and did just fine with crappier food than we have now days. Don't misunderstand me, I'm all for a good diet, but many people think that super high protein is the only way to go and it's been proven otherwise.

11. BullDawg

BullDawg Big Dog

^ nah. no worries. it's all good. as mentioned, feed what you're able to and what your pocket allows. too much protein, actually, is as harmful as too little. wasn't really referring to protein levels, just the additives and by-products, etc. food/quality-wise, Ol Roy is low on the scale and no doubt you can get a bigger bang for your buck with other kibble.

12. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Go were they kill hogs and check. I get the skin with about a 2 inch thick slab of fat on it like they render lard from for 13 cents a pound.

13. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I've raised rabbits,the things eat more than what they produce when butchered for me.I used to feed about 70 pounds of dog food a day,it adds up,I switched to raw and have saved a bundle,plus the dogs look and act better for me anyway.

14. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

sports mix is pretty good and the dogs look and do good on it. also exceed from sams.

15. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

You're right on that one,rabbit food costs more than dog food. I raised the little varmints for awhile,I thought it would be a good source of lean meat for me to eat. But by the time I raised them up to eating size I had more in them than they were worth,at least to me anyway. I'd rather feed whole chickens than rabbits anyway.My brother awhile back give me a bunch of dead birds,(chickens,turkeys and a couple ducks, probably 100 pounds worth) his dog got loose and killed them.The dogs loved them.I used to have a boston terrier that I would feed a chicken to occasionally,the whole bird,and he done great on that.But I doubt if a guy could raise chickens cheap enough for dog food either,you might depending on your situation and how many dogs you have though. But anything that requires feed anymore is expensive.Grain prices are high and that makes chicken and rabbit feed high as well.

16. mma316

mma316 Pup

All I can say is that everyone has their own preferences & life situations. I used to be on the Pro Plan train heavy, but I lost my job. When this happened I was feeding 12 dogs & 16 pups. Due to my hardships I was forced to part with over 18 dogs, that I spent over 13 years establishing. I didn't do it because I needed money badly. I knew that I couldn't feed all of my stock my preferred brand, and I wanted them to receive care that I could no longer sufficiently provide. I refuse to live my life with out dogs, so I figured I could keep a substantial # of hounds as long as I feed a more cost efficient brand. I chose to stick with the Purina brands(Dog Chow, Puppy Chow, One & Mainstay) thinking that they were manufactured from similar ingredients as Pro Plan. I started to read up on dog nutrition when all the recall stuff started jumping off. I started paying attention to ingredients & found out that corn was a NO. Being the wild life fanatic that I am...I started to think "why am I feeding my dogs like farm raised livestock. I continued feeding commercial foods switching from Purina brands to Ol' Roy & then to Pedigree, thinking that I was making a wiser, better choice for my dogs...WRONG!!! My house dog(terrier breed) who happens to be the oldest of all of my dogs began to come down with a bad case of the itches. I thought...WOW! He's got mange! So, I administered an extra dose of Ivomec 2 weeks after his initial dose, gave oatmeal & borax bathes, along with apple cider vinegar spray downs & mayonnaise rub downs. I still seen little improvement. I contacted my vet & she told me that if it was mange, that she could only prescribe Ivermecetin treatments and skin treatments. I told her of the measures that I had already took. She went on to ask me what food was I feeding, and I told her Ol' Roy for the past 4 years & Pedigree for the last 3 years. She began to advise me on nutritional guide lines & the "you are what you eat" business. She was simply stating that I've been feeding garbage & now my dog is paying for it. I felt really shitty after hearing that, because that's my boy! She then told me to try feeding him everything in it's raw form, so that his aging body gets all of the nutrients that it needs. She gave me advice on what & how much to give, along with additional key information. I thought about it for about 3 weeks before I actually tried it. I mainly feared that he wouldn't take it, and if he did his bowels would be loose. He began to recover immediately, along with new, healthy hair growth. I started taking the same measures to all of my dogs. I beat up the bones a little for my dogs with damaged teeth, even pups!. Everyone loves it even more than kibble. I have a lot less fecal matter, with smaller amounts of feces. My dogs barely eat kibble in the summer, but kills the raw materials no matter what. They're overall health & energy levels are at astounding levels. I called to thank my vet, she was not surprised. She told me that she feeds her cat, rotty & min pin nothing but raw foods & wouldn't have it any other way. It doesn't cost a lot, if you know how to shop. You can feed choice cuts if you can afford it, but the dogs love the cheaper meats that you can get in bundles for a nice price(chicken backs, chicken & turkey necks, chicken quarters, hearts, livers, gizzards, brains, unbleached stomach etc.), and when ever you see meats on sale like oven stuffers & overstocked supermarket turkeys after the holidays, reasonably priced cuts of beef every now and then for diet diversity, even fresh whole fish...just freeze it for a week 1st. So, you can feed the BS and put your dog through unnecessary health issues, and still wind up paying for it. This is just my own experience that I share with you, so that you can atleast know what you're in for if you keep it up. These dogs go through enough for us...the least we can do is try to do our best for them. I mean after all isn't that what you expect from them. Ol' Roy ain't bout shit...save yourself the heart ache. If you can't afford half way decent food, just feed them the scraps & keep them a little happier and a lot healthier.

17. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Very good story...thanx for sharing!

18. Old Roy isnt going to be the best choice for your dog. I would go with Diamond or Apex. Both are pretty cheap and have great results

19. BullDawg

BullDawg Big Dog