1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

old gyp breeding

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by short1, May 12, 2009.

1. short1

short1 Big Dog

what is the oldest someone would breed a gyp

2. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

all my dogs get bred around 4. i need to be 100% they are the truth.if there is any doubt they get culled asap. i give a good look at the offspring if i like them i repeat the breeding. if i don't i may try a different stud. im in no rush i keep most of the pups on my yard so i can perfect my blood.i got pups out of a 6 or 7 year old bitch once , im happy with how i run my yard but we all do it our own way.

3. most folks don't have that much patience, i commend you for that. i after 30 months, their head will be there, IMO so i'd say 3 earliest and 7 or 8 (depending) at the latest.

4. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

I myself am new to breeding... My family has been breeding these dogs for over 20 years... I m still what most would call an apprentice... But to answer your question,our dogs usually prove themselve between 2-4... If we breed over 6yo, its because we like how the stud/bitch produced previous litters...by the way, NICE THREAD...

5. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Have a 9 yr old going on 10 bitch bred now..expecting to drop next week! You can breed them at any age as long as mother nature allows it!:)

YIS

6. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

This is a good thread.

7. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

I plan to keep most of my dogs too when i get started. Thats why I need alot of space.

Vic

8. JBlazeRx7

JBlazeRx7 Top Dog

I would wait til after 2 to 4yrs. closer to 4 IMO. With limited space i wanna keep my pups or close by. I wanna make sure the dog's are the real deal as well!

9. im with you there, i still have much to learn about breeding myself. if a bitch of mine gave me few good litters up until 8 years...I wouldn't ask much more from her. my stepfather raises/breeds rottwielers(sp?) and his latest breeding was with a 12 year old bitch, she lost 4 pups out of 6. she was successful a couple of years ago (9-10 years old). I know these bulldogs carry their age well so I can see some folks going up to 10 yrs old. I think it really depends on the individual dog. if she was kept for breeding purposes only and had 4-5 litters previously(given she was a healthy specimen), her body has had some wear and tear so 10 would be pushing it...on the other hand you take another equally healthy bitch that has only had a litter or two years apart, she could easily whelp @ 10 years old. that's just my take on it.

10. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

I'm new too the game too. So new I haven't started.... lol i would say it's up to the dog. I have been told some lines like Lonso have late starters. I would assume they may end latter.

Vic

11. If they bleed they breed here on my yard...lol :D.