1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on dog house/ tethering questions

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Casperworldpeace, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Here's one pushing 6 years old. It has a slanted roof and hinges on the top. Much more convenient than the removable roof.
    [​IMG]

2. @AGK

It comes down pretty flush and it's very heavy, I mean with a very strong wind a bit would get in but should be good for the most part lol in that pic if look at the top of the roof you can see the interior insulation a bit, roof, all walls and the floor have two inch insulation

Yea I thought about that with it being on the floor either going to put it on bricks or round pavers to keep it off the ground some more

Am going to try out a large mud flap as door see how that works

Lol yea there were some super frustrating moments, mostly because of the measurements of the instructions but I can now make the walls / floors from memory (I think) haha

3. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

How cold does it get around your way? How big do you thing your hound will get? That's house will require a crazy amount of straw in order to maintain heat properly. The reason I love the unique kennel version is that 50 lb has just enough space to turn and sleep wich is ideal for keeping heat. The hound actually warms it with his body heat. The bigger the space the more straw and body heat it will take to keep it warm. Also you will need something to keep that straw in. The double chamber does that also, along with breaking harsh cold wind so the hound is not in direct contact with cold wind gust.

4. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

love these! seen so many dog around here with no shade or warmth. it's sad. one dog dug her own den under the family's porch. smh.

5. Am thinking he is going to top out somewhere around 55 lbs

I like the unique kennels one too but the instructions weren't very detailed and this was my first time so I went with this one, this one also had a second chamber but I swear it would have took a 35lb MAX, so I left that out

It gets very cold here (Nebraska) during the winter, the days it gets like that he will come inside

6. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I would just like to add that most people make the opening to the dog house too big, you be surprised at just how small a space a dog can squeeze into.

7. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

I notice some just use big open shelters in florida and the islands, I guess the further north you live the smaller the dog house and entrance hole...

We told a buddy to put a board over the entrance to keep heat and straw in, he put it across the top to keep the heat in wondered why the straw was getting drug out the bottem with the chain...His reasoning was heat rises...
    we told him put the board on the bottem as the straw goes in the house and gravity shall do its part, lol...

8. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

I would somehow get that chamber in there or at the least some wall to make a chamber. The unique one I have used many times in like the last 10 years. The plans are perfect.