1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on SBT/APBT

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by Herodog1, Feb 29, 2012.

1. blanch

blanch Big Dog

I think whippets came about because the poorer people couldn't afford greyhounds,today the problem isn't lack of money or food but dogs looking like banned breeds and attracting attention,could it not be smart move to adapt in the same way?

2. pockets

pockets Big Dog

regardless of looks any breed will attract attension and get laws changed to suit the government with enough bad exposer

3. OnTheRocks

OnTheRocks Moderator

I doubt that you read my posts very well! I think you interpret a lot of things in to them that you want to see. So perhaps that is why you believe I do not make any sense…

I have stated numerous times previously that the size used to be bigger, so why do you think I cull any dogs that do not fit the bill? After ten years working a blood line, don´t you think we have learned a thing or two? Our dogs used to have a big span in their weights, but the last few years the line has become more homogenate, any serious breeder should breed for conformity.

Then you come with this mumbo jumbo that a breeder of working dogs breeds for healthy workers. If I as I previously mentioned, have noticed that they improve at lower weights, why would I not prefer those weights? And if we see a need to increase the size, as I already mentioned, we have the experience to do so in a single mating.

I do not understand your rant about the line breeding either; my stock is as line bred as those you mention on Psycho, probably even more. That is not the point. The point is that any breeder’s objective should be to improve their line! To breed their line to fit what they believe it should be. If you feel that something 30 years behind you is a better option than the dogs you have right now something is seriously wrong.

No doubt Psycho is a great foundation dog, if he really is the founding dog; he was already a few generations down a breeding program! But the question was if I would turn him down, in other words do I see any use of Psycho in my breeding program today? The answer is a straight forward no! The day the answer will change to a yes, is the same day I am out.

4. mixed-grill

mixed-grill Big Dog

The whole point of line breeding is to Replicate the best dogs you've had...and pass them desired genes on...the dogs i listed are a good example of that...5 dogs over something like 7 generations within 30yrs...all with a family resemblance you would expect to see in line bred dogs...and not a 22 pounder amoung them...you tell me if you have to look back to the foundation nothing would of improved...and again and again how your dogs have improved...are you seriously telling me you could improve upon a dog like psycho?...a game proven...match wining...producer of note?!...we are talking Staffordshire bull terriers here...you will be lucky to have half that!!...Dream on!...if you was offered Psycho or a modern day equaivalent dog you would turn him down because he was too big!!!!...while your 'selective breeding' for 22-25lb dogs your probably missing out on the cream of the crop...as if it sint hard enough to breed a decent Stafford without setting a standard that isnt natural to that blood line...you put importance on Conformation but Psycho had poor stafford comformation...pricked ears... EBT traits...he was a WORKING dog...if a priority to breed 'healthy workers' is 'mumbo jumbo' to you then No you havent really learned a thing or two...you sound like someone who has spent too much time on internet forums and reading books...shrinking down a once decent line of dogs so you can safley parade them round the streets...now that really is 'mumbo jumbo'

5. mixed-grill

mixed-grill Big Dog

Heres a bit of advice for you...a 25lb dog hitting the end of the chain to get at a pet dog across the street looks as bad to the public as a 45lb one...its best not to parade decent Staffords in the street full stop...i learned years ago its best alround to keep the neighbours happy...my dogs go straight from the yard to the truck and out to the fields well away from judging eyes to be exersised...to me this is the basic of responisible ownership of our sort of dogs.

6. blanch

blanch Big Dog

Small dogs don't look threatening,plus a 25 pound dog won't attract the dickhead Chav owners who'll want something that looks nastier or more intimidating,and if worst comes to worst it couldn't do as much damage in the hands of a spastic owner jmo.

All I know is I get a lot less funny looks and people crossing the road to avoid me walking a 24 pound bull/patterdale (which just looks like a very small staff) than I ever did walking any staff.

7. OnTheRocks

OnTheRocks Moderator

This is some really funny shit. Somewhere you got a glimpse of my a dog or a mating relating to me, and all of a sudden you know all about my dogs, and know what would be natural to our blood line?

If your breeding idea is to replicate, then I can assure you that the replication will become poorer and poorer for each generation. You do not evolve, instead you degenerate your stock. This is the reason that the Staffs are in such a bad shape today, alongside with a lot of APBT blood lines!

But you really do read my posts pretty poorly. You project a lot of opinions and ideas upon me, perhaps it is because you really do not have the means to understand what I am saying.You would probably shit yourself if you knew what dogs I had actually turned down when I was offered them, and the rejection had nothing to do with size. Perhaps we have different standards.

8. pockets

pockets Big Dog

to tell you the truth the more I read on this forum the more that I know why the staff is and has declined as any type of working or game dog it isn't the dog its the divide and ego of owners.this is what has killed the breed and many others conformation yes is needed but what conformation?people have different views of conformation some conform to a supposed show dog look in which they feel is heathy but to others isn't some to a more athletic look but to breed for conformation is much easier than to breed for the traits and needs of a game working staff and this is what we have very few of many look great in a street or show or doing jumps and pulling but have lost many other traits that a Stafford is known and loved for dogs that were handled and culled for biting or showing human aggression dogs that would walk over hot coles for its owner.to say that some people on here just breed for looks is just bad judgement and breeding as there is many other traits I would be breeding for before a good looker.big small pricked ears undershot colour bow legged if it does its job and does it well and u want workers good workers why look past it to the dog beside that looks mean but is a cur or a man biter

9. hammer head

hammer head Top Dog

hee hee .......

Attached Files:

10. lamp

lamp Big Dog

This why I got out the dogs and yes 30 years ago I wanted the best looker and colour and till one day when I was sitting in D/H of Limey kennels and he said its not how they show its how they go,then the penny dropped and realised its the heart is all you need and if your lucky to get a looker even better.

11. jacko

jacko CH Dog

handsome is , handsome does ayy lamp ;-)

12. lamp

lamp Big Dog

You no mate.

13. mixed-grill

mixed-grill Big Dog

I've formed my opinions from reading your posts on here!..."and know what would be natural to our blood line?" and I read YOUR posts pretty poorly!?...you where breeding a (in your own words) 3/4 Psycho litter...is that your blood line now?...is 22lb natural for them Psycho dogs?...no you didnt read/understand my post at all!...kids like you make me laugh...breed dogs for 5 minutes and suddenly its all about your own Line...dabble in line breeding for 10 years and suddenly you have improved the Psycho line and some how made it your own??!...you can "assure me that the replication will become poorer and poorer with each generation"...not necessarily if each generation is tested properly and the best bred back within the family...the examples i gave early in the thread prove that!...and thats how working dogs have been bred for 100's of years!...i dont know about shitting myself...but reading your posts has got me pissing myself with laughter!!!!!

14. mixed-grill

mixed-grill Big Dog

And handsomes owner posts loads and loads of pictures of the dog on the internet...aint that right Jacko ;-)

15. lamp

lamp Big Dog

I no this is a bit of track and I haven't brought a bulldog for years but what is it with the tails on the so called bull types I just looked at some pics on here and some have really thick tails,now when you look back the tails of a staff and pit it was very wippy,I see it on a lot of the dogs on the streets in London x breeding comes to mind.

16. OnTheRocks

OnTheRocks Moderator

We currently have bred our dogs for four generations. Psycho blood is not the only thing that we utilize. The mixture of bloodlines that we use is pretty exclusive to our yard. So I think we are entitled to call it our bloodline.

As I said you make a lot of assumptions about our dogs based on one pedigree you got a glimpse of! But can you even be sure that the pedigree and breeding plan was genuine? Perhaps it was just posted to rattle someone’s cage. I sure have no use of posting any pedigrees here, I have nothing for sale.

17. mixed-grill

mixed-grill Big Dog

Reading this forum one of the things that has really started to get to me is the level of dishonesty in the so-called breeders that seem to infest the place...the pedigree and breeding plan was posted on here by yourself 'on the rocks'...when the lad that owned Apollo was looking for related blood you jumped straight in with a pedigree of your perspective litter...but now you tell me you have "nothing for sale " and "sure have no use posting any pedigree here" when you did just that!!!!...are you seriously telling me now that it was all Lies!?...how much on this thread is Lies?...because most of it sounds ridiculeous...four generations in 10 years...why would someone become a moderator on a forum just to tell lies!??????????????

18. OnTheRocks

OnTheRocks Moderator

There are enough people on here that know who I am, so there would not be much use for me to tell lies. I just asked if you could be sure! Since you do make a lot of assumptions based on that pedigree, which is ridiculous!

You come across just like a damn critic- with lots of opinions but nothing to show for it! There is a good quote about it; “Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”

19. mixed-grill

mixed-grill Big Dog

I'd rather come across as a critic...than be known as a Liar!

20. OnTheRocks

OnTheRocks Moderator

I am too well known to pull of any lies. Being called names by some internet warrior with an inflatable ego is nothing that bothers me. You have not contributed anything to the topic, APBT/Staffs. All you done in this topic are arguing for the sake of it- are you able to make a serious contribution to this topic?

I have owned both these breeds for many years! I have had APBTs longer than Staffs. If anyone else has any serious interest in this topic, then let’s get back on track.