1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Out Hunting

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by TheIII, Jul 4, 2010.

1. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I know lots of people that eat coon,I've eat several myself,pretty good but a little greasy,but good.

We used to hunt them practically every night but not for quite awhile since the hides are pretty worthless anymore but it is fun.We used hounds instead of bulldogs but coon hunting is pretty fun with a good dog,the dog find's the track,runs it till they tree and you walk to the dogs and shoot the coon out.

2. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Just wondering...does the coon have to be rabid to give it to a dog...or are they just born carriers?

3. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

I'll take you up on that when I have time and bring little Z up....how many trailers you got left with coons?

4. TheIII

TheIII Big Dog

Shit leave some for me and my boy. Looks like this might turn out being some field day. Thanks for the info guys.

5. TheIII

TheIII Big Dog

I would be down to eat them....but I have no knowledge on preparing wild meats. Feel free to post what you know.

6. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

skunks haver been known to spontaniously have rabies in them even affter thr generations or captivity in farms, its in a nevada vet manual i was given, your never sopose to give racoons or skunks active live rabies virous under no sercumstances, dead rabies virouse was said to be fine, but it will stay dorment i guess, like other diseases for years and generations and all of a sudden reapear out on no where, . i am on a friends computer, but will post the year of the manual i was given, if someone else would like to read it to.

7. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

i ythink eating a coon would be like eating a seagul lol , but if your hungry your hungry i guess, i dont feed the coon meat even to my dog? to many risks involved i figured, bad enought they mouthin them, but a winter hunted coons a cleaner than a summer hunting coon for sure, they pretty scruffy looking in the summer around hear. but never had a sick dog from it either, from just hunting.

8. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Two 53' trailers, bring TheoIII! Z always welcome here! you too! picked up betadine today from the drugstore, so all set for another day or doggin coons, let me no when you guess wanna come up next weekend or this one. cause migght as well get them soon, the shittin everywhere! we got old vintage texaco gas station sighns they turned in to a nests, so thats why the hunts on full bore this year, we dont want bullet holes in the trailer so the dogs work great! and they love getting them!;)

9. TheIII

TheIII Big Dog

Not gunna lie I would eat coon make it look like a steak n Im down for everything but thinking bout it they are some nasty creatures. Im not gunna be round there till september but have fun guys. How big are they round there anyways like 30 lb or do they just look heavy cuz all the fur.

10. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

never weighed they? but id guess around 30-40lbs average, but you get big tom coons that are alot bigger! im sure there be alot more showing up to take there spot, the trailers ARE GARBAGE NOW SO THEY WILL NOT BE RACCON PROOFED;)

SECOND EASIEST CONTROLLED HUNT IS BEAVERS,but you need a rifle, and a partner to hold the dog. if you go after nusance animals people will invite you to hunt there barns and property or ponds and bush, long as you have control of your animal (no chasing unwanted quarry, sheep cattle chickens)., or for see a problem happening, and prevent before it occurs
    , better to close up the other farm animals for a bit in different area from hunt, or a good hunting trip can go to crap real quick!

but either way the dogs have fun!

11. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

so your not back till September eh! be better temperature for being in back of the trailers anyway they about 200 degrees "exaggeration" but damn close in this heat!!!

12. TheIII

TheIII Big Dog

Yeah and u wouldent guess the date of my flight. LOL oneone plain fucked. 30-40 sounds like a good size the ones in my area are deff smaller though. Never thought of beavers but my boy is down for anything hairy.

13. TheIII

TheIII Big Dog

I know what your saying...had an insident with a horse and well it plain sucks. Deff lock up the livestock for a bit.