1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pain Tolerance

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by ChiaPit, Feb 24, 2007.

1. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

Well, My husband has been fishing down at the creek almost every day and of course he takes Big Girl. Well he was casting and got caught in the debris so as he yanked his hook loose, it flew out and stuck in BG's thigh...well the only way to get it out was to push it all the way through, he said as he was doing this she never flinched, yelped or even acted like it bothered her in the least. (it only penetrated skin not muscle) It was a new hook, so I'm not worried about rust or anything and as soon as he got her home I cleaned and dressed the punctures and I have been keeping an eye on it, But this really made me realize how tough these dogs are! I'm just thankful it was her leg and not an eye or something.

2. RedNoseProdigy

RedNoseProdigy Big Dog

Pitbulls are tougher than nails.....My female Cinnamon got hit by a car and had a collapsed lung and internal bleeding...throwing up blood and poop....the vet told us she might make and she might not......so we chose to take her home...we gave her rest and gatorade....three days later.....My male got into it with a stray and i turn around to see Cinnamon at the top of her 6 ft kennel fence preparing to jump out to help her brother.....i thought that was amazing

3. Michele

Michele Guest

i'm glad she's ok

4. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

Thanks...me too. I think I was more upset that it happened than she was!!

5. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

Lol, ya never knew fishing could be so dangerous, did you? I went fishing with a friend once and he managed to stick himself with a hook, which we had to push through his finger and then cut off the point....ugh! It is upsetting, glad the dog is fine...

6. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

yep these dogs have a very high pain tolerance.it will suprise you sometimes.

7. dog-man

dog-man Big Dog

I know pitbulls are one of the breeds with the most pain tolerance, but most pitbulls , if you pull on their ears, not even to hard, they will welp lol, mine sure did and he is game bred , but then again, any other part of his body and its like he has bullet proof vest. Try it see what happens.

Ps, I dont go around pulling on my dogs ears all the times, one day just rough housing with him I decided to pull his ears and weeeeeeeeeeeelp he went.:D

8. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

I remember some people trying to tell me that when picking a bulldog pup, pick the one that doesn't whine when you pick it up by the skin around his neck or by tuggin on its ear. Dunno how much that really matters though lol.

9. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

OK, I confess I pulled Big Girls ear just to try it out...not hard but just a little tug and she didn't yelp but she got up and walked away slow looking at me like...WTF's wrong with you??? LOL I feel sooooo bad now :o

10. dog-man

dog-man Big Dog

Not that you should try, but if you pulled a lil more harder, it would of yelped, heard the nose is another weak spot for all dogs.

11. Pits_Rock

Pits_Rock Pup

Yeah, they definitely have a good tolerance for pain. All 3 of mine are fixed and were just as perky coming out of surgery than ever. The vet receptionist thought I was the cruelest person for not getting pain meds. Also my little nephew pulled Zeke down 6 steps by his tail when Zeke was about 7 months old. He just looked at my nephew like he was crazy, but didn't snap, yelp, or even act like it bothered him. He just climbed back up the steps and layed down. They are just amazing animals!

12. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Someone told me if a dog was attacking you, that twisting their ears would make them let go because it hurt.

I walked up to Caesar, twisted his ear and he yelped bloody murder. It was suprising because he usually has an EXTREMELY high pain tolerance. He was once in an accidental fight against two other pit bulls and during that whole time of vet visits and recovery he was in a ton of pain but never made a sound.

I rarely hear him yelp.

13. dog-man

dog-man Big Dog

If a dog is in fight drive when attacking a human i dont think pulling on its ears would help, kinda like when us humans get in scuffle , at the moment you dont feel nothing, its afterwars when the pain comes...................:D

14. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Didn't say it was true. ;)

It's just what someone told me. I know better than that.

15. More pain is just going to send them futher into (fight) drive. Two options beat them in the fight (kill them or beat them into submission) or submit to them (flee or submit on ground ect).

16. Bailey

Bailey Pup

I have to say from experience that this theory doesn't prove anything. My male was one of two that whined like newborns when I picked them up by the skin on his neck. He's gotten into two accidental scuffles and he actually laid out some good punishment as well as taken some and still wanted to go. He's built tough. So that theory has been left as only a theory.

We actually got him because we wanted a more submissive dog this time around. We got him at 12wks and from then until 6 months he was scared, shy and very submissive. Now at 8 months, this boy is super confident and I don't know what he's afraid of. That just goes to prove to me that pups can change drastically. Like most say it's just a roll of the dice when picking a pup.

17. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

the best thing you can do if a large dog is attacking you is go right for the thing that he is using as a weapon.his mouth,a lot of folks will say hey wait a mintue thats crazy but it works.i had a german shepherd come after me and as soon as he jumped up and opend his mouth my hand went down it and into his throat.they can't bite down because they are to busy gagging.so i grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and walked him back to his owners with it gagging all the way and said here is your dog and if it happens again don't think for a mintue i won't kill it next time.it doesn't hurt the dog and it keeps it from hurting you.that is a sure way i have found through out the years of keeping a big dog from biting down on you,now them little shits just kick them like a football.

18. dog-man

dog-man Big Dog

Like so many other ways to stop a dog when being attacked, i can see how this would work, but if this approach was done on a pure protection dog it would of tear you a new arm, and before anyone says i could grab the dog with my other arm ect,ect, once a dog bites hard into your nervous system, most of us humans will go in shock , dont matter if your on speed or crack, or 300lb of muscle you will go down.

19. jiu-pitsu

jiu-pitsu Pup

Tell me about it, my male, now 2 years old got hit by a car doing about 35-40 mph about 2 mo. ago and literally bounced off the pavement and got away unscathed w/ no more than a dime size road rash on his ankle. he was a little shaken up but was able to finish our walk, even had a huge grin on his face. UNBELIEVEABLE!!

20. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Picking a pup up by the ear, or back of the neck, and picking based on how much/if it whines, it a backyard bullshit theory, which proves nothing, except that you are an idiot possibly ruining a pup!

I must say, pulling on their ears, making them yelp, let alone quit fighting-is also a new one for me. I can say with almost 100% certainty it won't stop a driven bulldog! Inflicting more pain then the stress of battle is absurd, grab a break stick! If the dog is attacking you, no matter the breed, put that son of a bitch in a shallow grave, by any means neccessary.

An ear-hold was a common site, in the days when dog-fighting was legal. Some had ears torn to ribbons, others had to be cropped, because most of the ear was gone. An ear-hold is more frustrating then anything, most of the time. In fact, most dogs benefited from having natural ears-rather have those torn up, then have a dog get into the stifle, guts, etc. I'm sure if those old warriors could of related their story, they would say the same thing. LOL!