1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

painter type?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by gypsyboy, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Your right Lisa...
    Spanish, and i have to add, Scottish people.and ofcourse there dogs, most defintly settled in the southern districts of the U.S.A.
    And now my tiny brain starts to wonder about this intresting descusson,its intresting to note that both dogs of the pit or baiting arena-that is Scottish and Spanish.were claimed to be some what larger then say the Irish or English dogs...
    a lot of pure APBTs to this day in them southern areas are on the slightly larger side..
    and its probably no coincidence that huge American Bulldogs sprang up in remote parts of them areas to be used as a hog catching dog..@Bamaman as you said.and as a gard dog..and also to be used around the farm or land for sundri tasks like killing pests like wild dogs.(Sementric suggests this in Gladiator dogs..not that i think the book is acurate.but Sementric seems to be most intrseted in this breed)

I dont think they are the original baiting dogs...i think the APBT in its pure state is the nearest thing to that,in genrel type and temperment...

I think the origen in the American Bulldog lies more in the fact that people in remote areas used what stock they had to perform the tasks requierd.

Very intresting topic Lisa.

Casperworldpeace and LisaWM like this.
  2. LisaWM

LisaWM Big Dog

I thinks it great to have an intelligent conversation, if I tried to have this conversation with the AB people I think 90% would disagree with lol solely because the AB is a man made breed in their eyes & to a certain degree it is yes! Also before I get distracted & forget the Spanish dogs also have the tan points like some of the old Wildeside dogs Pitweiler (Devil Dog) I think & Hammonds dogs. It would seem that we in North America & the UK call the Spainish dogs Mastiffs but in Spain they are called bulldogs, personally they look more bulldog to me. Smaller tighter more athletic & I’d have to look but I believe also under 100lbs. I think it was mountain man that mentioned it being rare to see the smaller type dogs when he was young, they were larger at least where he lived. I don’t know much about the Scottish dogs other then the Blue Poll honestly I think they were just a family line of dilute gamedog the family aged the dogs died out but to my knowledge no game apbt has ever bred on that colour to maintain. The Irish dogs I know a little of via Burke & Noonan.

3. LisaWM

LisaWM Big Dog

David got dogs off of old Johnson for his Olde Tyme Bullies, at one time David also had a Bandogge program

4. Lrs

Lrs Big Dog

I think the Spanish influence is way over rated we have documentation of English bulldogs being sent to Spain and the rest of Europe to impart the stubbornness they were famous for. Especially in the reformation period. But not in reverse until show bulldogs had started to appear and were not being tested anymore. I think there’s a lot of jealous people who don’t like this simple historical fact. Also if you breed for a catch dog or any type then eventually you will change the shape of the dog to fit the function. Combat bred dogs whilst similar are on the hole a lot smaller so a few out crosses to mastiff types to add mass and weight makes for a more useful dog. Imo

5. LisaWM

LisaWM Big Dog

I know in regards to the Mastiffs at least, they were shipped from Spain to England then lineage was sent back to Spain. They both also traded dogs with the Italians & dogs were also sent to Portugal, France & Germany. Historically speaking it appears to be whichever country had ties to others. Anything I have read is based on dogs that were brought to the UK then bred into the original bulldogs. So it looks like I have some more reading to do Lrs!

Soze the killer likes this.
  6. LisaWM

LisaWM Big Dog

Been a while but I think Levitt May have done PP work with them too could be it was just the Bandogges that did the PP. his website might still be up?

7. LisaWM

LisaWM Big Dog

I believe the new age term is “ethical breeding” lol right agree however most breeders don’t practice culling any longer or it’s done improperly obviously the end result is proper but I think the knowledge behind it is not necessarily to the standard it should be in most cases.

8. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Catch work with APBT is a confusing subject for folks and especially ones that never been around it.If your really into catch work thier is a selection process you have to follow.Your not going to use a totally fight crazy dog that goes for the rear end.its going to be a ear sucker or one catches on the bottom jaw.Some will be able to do both catch and still be good in the pit.I just use the ones for cAtch work that are good at it.Hogs a pain in the ass here .If I have a neighbor or friend with a hog problem and they ask for help then ill do it.I have some younger men around that love it much more than me these days .

david63, Soze the killer and Lrs like this.
  9. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I have only been a few times and I am a big fan of the dogs on the hogs. It is really impressive. The commitment to the catch and the conviction to hold on is something to behold.

I once saw a young dog grab one in the hind leg and that pig swung around and opened her like a can opener. Pretty much from her cootchie to her brisket. I was thinking they would have to put her down but they doctored her up and the whole time they were doctoring she was pulling to go for some more. She had heart.

It is quite the feat.

S

10. Lrs

Lrs Big Dog

This is true but in a time when mastiffs where being used for heavy work 1400-1600 from my own research but Britain seems to be one of the First Nations to see the mastiff and bulldog as different jobs. One of the most early mentions of bulldogs by name is of an Englishman in Spain (maybe Italy?) writing to his brother to send him a mastiff and 2 bulldogs so it seems the bulldog was a sporting dog and the mastiff more of a general catch dog for man or beast. But imo I do not think the ab is an old breed I do think it was created in the sixties hence why I believe American catch dog would have been a better name but it wouldn’t have sold as many pups and that was always Johnson’s aim. He added St. Bernard to his stock and they haven’t been a working breed for about two hundred years.

11. Lrs

Lrs Big Dog

Everyone who isn’t an American bulldog breeder I’ve spoken to tells me the same that’s why I’m always sceptical about other bulldog breeds they don’t seem to be used anywhere near the same as traditional bulldogs.

david63, bamaman and Soze the killer like this.
  12. slim12

This is because we accept and expect the 'norm'.

If a pit bull dog participates in man work there is skepticism because that has been deemed work for the Shephard type dogs. As the American Bulldogs starting creeping into that field there were dog aggression issues and over time it was 'selected' away for a lot of those strains.

I've posted about the beagles I grew up around. They were quite the collection of hunting dogs. My grand daddy may have not invented paper hanging on dogs but he just about perfected it. But with all of his dogs if I had told him 60 years ago they would be using beagles just like his to find bombs and drugs he would have told me I was crazy.

I am sure there was some actual sheep herder somewhere that said, "You think that dog right there is going to stop herding sheep, chase down a bad guy and bite him in the exact spot you tell him to?". I'm sure he had his doubts too. More than likely he laughed, maybe the first LOL. LOL

So when these blood thirsty, child maiming, serial killers we call pit bull dogs venture out into another field of work, all the tools are there, but the selection process must start over. It takes time and effort but you do not necessarily create another dog but more so another avenue for a working dog.

I too cringe when I see a game bred dog breaking ranks because there is a lot of opportunity for bad things to happen and the owner has to be top notch, that is part of the 'accepting and expecting the norm' on my part.

I am biased, to say the least, but I do think we have barley tapped into the working ability of these 'fighting' dogs.

S

13. PlugUgly

PlugUgly Big Dog

upload_2020-1-22_10-21-31.png

david63 likes this.
  14. PlugUgly

PlugUgly Big Dog

15. PlugUgly

PlugUgly Big Dog

16. PlugUgly

PlugUgly Big Dog

17. PlugUgly

PlugUgly Big Dog

upload_2020-1-22_10-29-16.png upload_2020-1-22_10-31-27.png

Attached Files:

18. PlugUgly

PlugUgly Big Dog

Are these photos showing up? There are many more old pics of this -type- dog.

david63 likes this.
  19. slim12

digging the pictures.

We had a white bulldog my pops brought home in the early 70's. He came home from the Army after a stop in Alabama so the story was told.

He ended up at my Grandma's and she talked to him like he was a person. She said he listened better than any of her kids/grand kids. LOL He is biggest working talent was she could walk toward a yard chicken and point and that dog would grab it by the tail feathers and hold til she took hold. Not exactly hog work, but that was his job.

What he was I have no idea. A white bulldog was how he was described.

He looked a lot like the pictures above.

S

20. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog