1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pat wont close on Groundhog

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by Willy, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Willy

Willy Pup

And some here in the peanut gallery say there should be no standard.
    This is what happens..

If someone wants to embed, be my guest

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZjApx2r2nI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZjApx2r2nI[/ame]

2. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

there are standards, but its not written like some jagd terrier breed club or AKC.

its unwritten rules.

u will see people on the hunting life always saying bred your worke to worker, or dont breed none stayers.. or some say breed only your hard dogs.

now the video u posted is of a 9 months odl pup.. i watched the video before and the guy mentions in another part that its a pup.. maybe its its first encounter.

3. Jeep/Redboy

Jeep/Redboy Big Dog

Maybe it was its first encounter and if that is the case it should have been introduced earlier. IMO a 9 month old pup is plenty old enough to have closed on that big ass rat.

4. culabula

culabula Big Dog

some dogs "turn on" at different rates,some could be mad for it at 5 months and others not until there 2.Often the slower maturing dogs can be well worth your patience.Earliness to mature is no indicator of the dogs ultimate ability .Impatience is a very bad trait in a terrierman (i.m.o)

5. spliff

spliff Big Dog

not sure i understand your point willy...are you saying that due to bad breeding practices that patts cant due what they were originally intended for?if so i don't really think that video shows that,what i see is a young pup hesitating possibly due to a first encounter.to me the dog looked a little confused and curious as if he never seen one of them before.ether way he appears to young for anyone to determine the dogs overall drive. also some dogs are late starters and are far to often over looked and prematurely written off...

6. Jeep/Redboy

Jeep/Redboy Big Dog

Yea spliff, contrary to my previous post I agree with you 100%. I didn't mean that the dog wasn't quality because he wasn't closing. It was more a generalized statement to the effect that I wouldn't have been surprised if that dog grabbed the ground hog at 9 months old. IMO, if a dog has everything else you are looking for it is worth giving him that extra time for a late starter to mature. Many will wind up being the best dog on your yard.

7. norseman

norseman Big Dog

I agree.... some dogs just need more time to mature and figure out the fun part.... and that ground hog was a fucking beats.....LOL

I have seen KC staffords play ball and stick with other dogs up to about two years and then one day he gets his butt kicked by an older or bigger dog, and being all confuced about that situation..... BUT next time he sees another dog all he wants to do is go at it... especially that older or bigger one....LOL. Others are like this from much earlier age. They are all different, take time and let him develope mentally.

8. Willy

Willy Pup

9-10 months, either a dog had it or doesnt.
    The makings genetically/drives are either there, or not.
    I wouldnt wait past then to evaluate a young dog.

He wouldnt close on it , put any fur in his mouth.
    Im just saying hes a cull in all likelihood and Patts sometimes, like all dogs, aint what they should be. Age is excuses. Its not a 5 mo pup.

9. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Should of got a dog off Preme HIS pup destroyed a groundhog then ate the lil basterd! lol. You have to introduse the animals to the hide of the pursed animal of choice .

And then the dog will have an idea of whats expected in them. And someone posted that it should of been introduced to the prey at a younger age. And its true . Nothing states you have to put a pup against something huge right off the bat. Work up to what yiu want the dog to do. And always keep there attitude positive to the work asked of them.

Schooling isnt only for pitbulls. Its for all breeds with a purpose.

10. Oldskool Brent

Oldskool Brent Top Dog

That owner might have been able to goad the pup into getting on him, lord knows you can work a terrier into a frenzy with some encouragement. My pits never needed any encouragement with groundhogs though, christ they went through them things. One groundhog cost me about $500 though, son of a bitch shredded my dogs ear and then it got infected. :mad:

11. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

whats the standard for APBT .. ?

GAMENESS !!

also i would expect an apbt to smash anything at 5 weeks old :D otherwise its a cull lol j/k

12. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

9 months old and holding a hog in one spot with nothing more than baying? thats a potential victory right there. A hog above ground can put the hurt on that youngster. It would be interesting to see what that pup would do if the hog tryed to bolt. Not sure how often you other fellas work your terriers, but an overly hard or hard terrier needs time to heal and that is less time for me in the field. unless of course you keep a dozen hard dogs and keep them in rotation or only hunt once a month. Its my job to dispatch the quarry, its the terriers job to locate and stay with the quarry and to make it stay in one spot. thats the way it works for me and mine.

13. Hello everyone. I guess I'm the new guy. Anyhow. We hunt just about every weekend and sometimes twice a week. I have some killing rats at 6-7 weeks, some going to ground on their own as early as 7 months, and one that didn't start till he was 2. All good dogs. Personally, I hate those slow starters. Just my two cents.

14. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

Elijah I was wondering if you could talk abit about what collars you are.using these days? Always cool to hear the digging guys talk about their sport. 6 to 7 weeks on rats eh? That's a great way for a pup to get a dose of lepto before they can get their shots ....

15. My hunting buddy Mark has a Deben unit and a couple of collars and I am blessed to be able to use his. I hope to have my own in a few weeks. They are worth every penny I'm about to spend. It saved us a lot of time getting my Digger dog out of the ground last Saturday. I'm pretty new at this going to the ground hunting but am blessed to have a veteran with good dogs and equipment teaching me how its done.

16. PIt4life

PIt4life Banned

lol my 15wk old bulldog pup "closed" on an armadillo... just sayin

17. My hunting buddy Mark has a Deben unit and a couple of collars and I am blessed to be able to use his. I hope to have my own in a few weeks. They are worth every penny I'm about to spend. It saved us a lot of time getting my Digger dog out of the ground last Saturday. I'm pretty new at this going to the ground hunting but am blessed to have a veteran with good dogs and equipment teaching me how its done.

About the lepto...I've been corrected about that before, but what in the world do you do when you live in an area where there is hey fields all around you and you are standing on the porch and your two pups are playing tug o war with one? I was pretty proud of them. Actually that has happened more than once.

I actually just told the full extent of my experience. I w.as given a Jack Russell two years ago and met someone with Jags and Patterdales and I admit I have a lot to learn, but that's what I'm doing here. Thanks again for the heads up on the lepto. I actually am in the process of the vaccination game right now. Seems like they all have a different age, booster, bla bla bla. I just hope it works this time better than it did for Digger. Digger got Parvo last year after getting his shots and cost another $300 getting him through it. Hoping for a better experience with this regimen of vaccines. Here to learn. I appreciate the advice

18. babu

babu Pup

Common mistake people expect too much from a young dog, give him a chance to grow up. another year. I had a bull terrier lose a toe to a woodchuck, they can bite, a young dog can get messed up be careful and let em grow up, rb

19. jack the lad

jack the lad Big Dog

You hit the nail on the head.I like to see pups do this then let the thing what ever it may be run off and let the pups chase it they think they won and will be better for it next time out.

20. What so just cos your 9 month old dog don't want to close in on it your gonna cull your dog? Shows what your in it for.

My Patt is a game little lass and she has no problems now on executing her game. Took her till she was 1 and a half though as I got her through someone else.

Some dogs just aren't as forward as others epsecially as a young inexperienced dog. IMO if you cull your dog you have no passion for the breed at all.