1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pat wont close on Groundhog

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by Willy, Dec 31, 2010.

1. And you let your dog attack other dogs and like that fact? You have some serious issues.

2. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

To cull or not to cull that is the question.... Im not sure I follow the idea that culling equals no passion for the breed. They are not all going to work out the way we want, and to pass on a non worker to someone else whether to be a pet or whatever is not for me. Passing non workers on to the non working world is moving the breed closer and closer to pet status and then when those people hear from others on the street how cute they are and how do i get one....well then money gets entwined and with money comes breeding for all the wrong reasons. Call me an elitist, its a working terrier for working homes. I wont pass on non workers to pet homes.

3. So you'd rather take an innocent life. Well I know of a former breeder who knew nuttal and buck personally and he said it's persons like yourself that are ruining the breed and are in it for all the wrong reasons. A patterdale is a great family dog and mine also lives indoors, wanna come cull her you can bloody well try.
    I agree Patterdales shouldn't be taken on lightly and I don't want them KC registered and conforming to a breed standard for showing. BUT I do not agree with taking a dogs life simply because it isn't good enough and YOU are selfish enough not to give it to someone who will care for it.

4. These little guys will be 4 months old in March. This was day before yesterday. Patterdale/ Jagdterrier cross. I hope I done this right, if so you should see two pups.

Attached Files:

5. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

Put your pistols away buddy, no one is coming for your terrier. Lol lay off the caffiene. If you are going to name drop, please don't name drop anonymously, spill it, who said that? You don't know me, and whomever you are quoting certainly doesnt know me, but you are confident enough to say I am ruining the breed? Thats your opinion and I certainly am not going to argue that. All the best. Work em hard , cull em hard.

6. They didn't say you specifically. They just said "people who are in it for the bloodthirst and not passionate for the breed itself" What makes you so superior to take a life away just because "it don't do the job properly" You're right I don't know you and do not wish to know you. Anyone that culls a breed I love DEARLY and do work and do breed, are not worth my time. And guess what, my working lass. I got at 7 month cos the guy was gonna cull her cos "she werent no good" well she is bloomin fantastic now.

7. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

Patterdale owner, maybe read all my posts before you lump me into a group that is for the bloodthirst. Go ahead and do that and point out where it leads you to believe im in it for the bloodthirst. To say that no dog deserves culling, that all puppies from a litter are going to make the grade, I don't buy that, raise your standards. Anyone who believes in 100% success rate for a litter of puppies isn't living in the real world. Breed patterdales like they breed pit bulls and you end up with the same problems. Poor breedings being pawned off on unsuspecting people. And the more patterdales become mainstream the more problems you have down the road. My two cents. Funny you didn't get your terrier from your buck, nuttal contact and instead got a possible cull from some one else. With those kind of connections you could have had a better odds of working terrier rather than take your chances. A pup from someone you don't agree with as opposed to a pup from a friend who had such great connections. And now you breed too? How much do you sell you puppies for?

8. When you love a breed of dog a certain amount of responsibility comes with loving the breed. Culling is a huge part of that responsibility. I was a bulldog man for 30 years and finally gave up because of all the junk. I hope the Patterdale/Den Terrier bunch of people are a gamer breed than the bulldog bunch. I am loving this breed of dog. I've only been around it for a year but am hunting with some very experienced men and have been blessed with 3 dogs, 2 are Patterdales. If you lose sight of the origin of any breed of working dog you water it down and degrade its value. Hard but true! Over the years I learned that men with weak egos would buy a bulldog (Pit Bull) to make up for their lack of manhood or masculine character, then that lily livered man would breed that weak character into his puppy mill line! I hope the same doesn't happen in America to the Patterdale. This dog pulled his first coon out of the ground a few months ago when he was 8 months old. Jagdterrier/Jack Russell cross. When he was 6 weeks-8 months with his first coon-and a few weeks ago after a I dug nearly straight down one night when I let him out to go to the bathroom. I learned a valuable lesson that night...lol This breeding was made by a man who had his bloodline compete on ESPN four time! He believes in culling.

Attached Files:

9. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

I guess you are a woman right , and do u hunt with your dogs, and where u live.

10. I am a woman whats that got to do with it. I do hunt my dogs. We also have gundogs from champion lines ? So I know about the working dog.
    Your dark age methods just aren't neccisary. I'll think you find people aren't stupid and I know ALOT of people who have Patterdales as pets. I know that litters ent gonna have a 100% success rate as workers, do you really think I'm that dim? But there is no need to kill an animal for its working abilities. Jeeze. You sound almost as sick as some show people who cull their dogs when they don't "look" right :rolleyes: Let me guess cos your 'ard working men you gotta kill a dog if it ent no good. Paha jeeze get your head out of your bloody arses.

And yeah I did pick a pup off someone who was going to cull it as opposed to hard proven workers because I have a passion for the breed and will fight for them to all survive. They aren't an object to me nor a penis extention as it seems so on here. My bitch is a good dog, and if he had culled her, she would have gone to waste. She is also my companion and is sleeping on my lap as we speak. Who are you to say you can take somethings life. I have no doubt you'll get yours one day. Almost as bad as the people who condone dog fighting.

11. dogowner

dogowner Pup

I have been reading as a guest on this forum and am disgusted by some of these posts. You would rather kill puppies than have them go to pet homes were they will be loved?

Not really sure what you class yourselves as but it certainly aint a dog lover.

-----bob

12. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

Im not going to try and change your mind. You have your opinions and I have mine. Im done posting about this topic.

13. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

i was just asking because you havent introduced your self to us. I can tell by the writing style if im talking to a man or a woman.

Are you from America.

I would cull a dog but I think I would ty to find a good home for him first. Other than that, I think I wouldnt cull my current dog even if he doesnt become a good diggin dog,. most likely i will keep him as a bushing dog /pet/watch dog and get other pups to see if they work out . meaning he will still come with me hunting and run with the beagles/bassets.

14. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

puppies !!! you shouldnt judge puppies for their abilities only adult dogs. so it is wrong to cull a pup.

15. Food for thought: Culling doesn't always mean killing! I'm not a breeder but I do know some. One of the best Jack Russell kennels in the State of Arkansas culls their pups if they don't have the right look or personality by having them spayed or neutered and and not allowing that flaw to continue in the line. Then they find homes for these dogs. Terminology can mean different things to different people. Remember, "culling doesn't always mean killing" as you read these posts.

16. I'm from England. Spaying/neutering your dog is completely different to ending its life, and I am totally fine with that sort of "culling" but people on here are talking about ending their dogs lives and in my opinion that is just wrong.

17. culabula

culabula Big Dog

Are you american? why are ye so impatient with yere working terriers? Ive been digging to dogs since i was nine-The best ive had didnt start early.Adrenaline dosent equal gameness.

18. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

so your hunting mates, they dont ever cull a dog ?

19. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

yeah pet them out, with all the BSL going on , and the displaced pit bull community looking for a replacement for their preferred breed now gone illegal, see what happens. with popularity comes money with money comes breeders with breeders comes breeders with ill conceived and or ill intentioned breedings. Next up on the BSL block.... yup better throw those patterdales on the list while we are at it. Esp with all the cross breeding going on now between the bull blood and the patt blood, where the line is becoming so blurred its hard to tell what is what. working homes for a working breed is my belief.

20. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2005/04/guide-to-breeding-old-fashioned.html a good read if you can find it.