1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pick of the litter~Structure-

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by NavasInc, May 3, 2008.

1. NavasInc

NavasInc Big Dog

(Besides temperment)Im not talking about temperment here thats another issue.-

At what age should you select a pup ?
    Is it 6 or 8 weeks?
    Reason being is because someone told me you really see significance in the "dogs structure" at 6 weeks! Is this true?
    IMO ,theres no telling. You have late bloomers who get swoll and thicker later on than others.And some sooner than others.So theres really no telling.
    If Im wrong then what should you look for? Other than the parents.

2. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

The only thing one has to go by is temperment at that age unless you're in it for looks. No way to tell what an 8 week old pup is going to be put together like at 2 years old. JMO

3. Claddagh_Reds

Claddagh_Reds Big Dog

Bullyson is correct, physical structure changes withing the first 2 to 3 years it can be hard to tell. Pups with slight faults could outgrow them while pups that seem correct could develop faults later. Seme with temperments, some shy pups come out of it, some more aggressive pups mellow. A saying in the show world is that just because a dog makes a champion at a young age doesnt mean as an adult it's still going to be a worthy speciem or breeding quality!

Best advice is to know the bloodline you are dealing with and make sure the breeder is trustworthy and stands behind what he or she breeds . If it's a litter you have bred, all the more reason to keep as many as you can and watch them grow up. This way the next time around if you keep your breeding program similar, you may have and idea of what a particular pup may turn out to be like.

Everything from quality of feed to enviroment can affect the way a pup develops and grows physically and mentally.

4. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

Actually as long as the pup wasn't a runt and is in good health, at about 8 weeks of age the puppy's structure will mimic that of an adult dog. There have been research done on this and some really good info can be found in the Hastings work with puppy puzzle.

here is a link to their site
    http://www.dogfolk.com/puppypuzzlevideo.htm

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2008
  5. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

more then not, I pick the runt

you can see major faults at that age but not much else at 6-8 wks

6. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

A true runt to me doesn't mean the smallest but a small pup that is also sickly and often not thriving.

Actually at 8 weeks you can go over the dog piece by piece in the eval and look at every aspect of the structure as compared to the standard. It is pretty interesting. It helps you even see how the bite and head structure will develop if done properly. Take a peek at the link I posted.

7. NavasInc

NavasInc Big Dog

Patch O Pits thanx for the link . Ive been checking it out! Great Info !!:)

8. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I would look for the pup that is not shy, signs of fear aggression. I want him to be playful and sure of himself. Confidence is always a good trait.
    And this is decided for me at about 8 weeks. I think a pup taken away any earlier is not a good thing, unless deemed necessary. A mother will teach a lot to her pups in this time period.

9. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

Temperament is a HUGE part of an eval in my opinion. The dog can have the best structure but if the drive and the temp stink I would stay away from picking it.

Here is a good puppy aptitude test which can also be extremely helpful. I modify it to suit my needs when picking
    http://www.volhard.com/puppy/pat.htm

10. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

I agree. Ive always picked the runt too. In my experiences, they've always been the best dogs.

11. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

runt to everyone I know means smallest in the litter, just another word and doesnt mean the pup is tweaked/abnormal, if this was the case a word like the fk'd up puppy would take the place of runt or something like that

temperment and structure "evaluation tests" at 6-8wks, lmao just observe the damn litter for a while, an experienced eye can tell as much as those invalid tests

An old but good saying in dogs: When its dark outside and you cant see inside the puppy pen, reach in and pull one out for me. Thats the pick of the litter, lol the truth

12. Claddagh_Reds

Claddagh_Reds Big Dog

ahh ..shyness does not always equal or mean fear aggression! Some pups can be shy but still have a sound core temperment. A general test is to drop something, startle the pup and see if it in a minute or two will come up to investigate on its own. Dogs are curious by nature so it should. If it doesnt then worry. On the other hand, too much "confidence" could be signs of aggression and domiance, which in the wrong hands a bad choice, as many times these dogs are deemed stubborn and walk all over the owners. But all this is simply general information, it is not hold fast rules . Both these situations require a more experienced owner. Picking a pup is a personal choice, you pick what you like and what you feel is a good match for you. Again, a good breeder should know his /her pups and be able to help you choose wisely based on your needs and wants ... There is no magic formula to any of this!

13. NavasInc

NavasInc Big Dog

Why would the runt of the litter be the best. Your not the first to say that so i was asking your opinion why is the runt the best to you?

14. ive always liked runts too and i believe one reason they turn out to be great dogs is because they work soo much harder to overcome being small.

15. Claddagh_Reds

Claddagh_Reds Big Dog

the runt is not always the best nor does it always turn out to be the best. The runt does not always stay the smallest, either. I admit though, I am usually drawn to the runt, too. Maybe one reason the runt does better is we end up giving them more attention and care than the rest of the litter... just a thought.

16. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

this 28lber was the runt of the litter and turned out with flawless conf, the best natural muscle tone of the rest, best teeth and showing above average accross the board in athletics

and of course runts dont always turn out the best, nobody is saying that but its what I'm drawn to most the time. Dogs under 35lbs are close throwbacks to the original pit dogs

click pic to enlarge, she is a physical specimen

[​IMG]

17. NavasInc

NavasInc Big Dog

LOL COOL PIC at the show i went to last month i saw a brindle bitch a lil bigger than that one. She was cool!! LOLNice pic and thanx for posting !:D