1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Poisonous Snake Bites

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by MajorPain, Apr 25, 2013.

1. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Trees I have saw many copperhead bites around these parts ,snakes is why I don't Turkey hunt.

2. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

It was my first. Glad I caught it as soon as I did. I went back and watched the video on one of the cameras in the yard where it happened. One of the dogs heard the snake slithering past her and she got up like "WTF is that??" LOL.

She let it slither past and she went up and smelled where it passed her at. The dog that got bit started going after it as soon as she saw it lol. She was still killing it when I went back there and stopped her. Glad she's ok.

reddirt redneck likes this.
  3. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

Glad to hear she'll be ok...

treezpitz likes this.
  4. treezpitz

Thanks, Thunder. Me too.

5. RobR73

RobR73 Big Dog

For those in rattlesnake country they have a type of vaccine for it. It mitigates the effects of any rattlesnake bite and is given in a series of two shots spaced three weeks apart and is very cheap. I do alot of walking with the dog and it gives me piece of mind......saw a 5 footer last week about a foot away on a well traveled trail.

6. good thing he is only on antibiotics, gladly there was no venom?

7. treezpitz

If this was directed towards me, yes, the snake injected some venom into her. Her face was a little swollen for 2 days but was normal after that.

8. reddirt redneck

reddirt redneck Big Dog

DEX & Benadryl work wonders on snake bites

Saiyagin and bamaman like this.
  9. niko

niko CH Dog

Good to know Reddirt...I've never had one bit but we have a lot of rattlesnakes around here

10. niko

niko CH Dog

IMG_4890.jpg Here's one some friends caught at work the other day

11. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Mostly black snakes and king snakes around here. (NC) Copperheads are here and we see them occasionally but not a bunch of them.

Seldom do they (any of them) come into the chain spots. The snakes do the avoiding but it happens. The one that bothered me the most was last spring. One crawled into a puppy pen and the puppy hemmed him up in the corner at the door. I would have just about stepped on the copperhead if the puppy had not been yacking and carrying on.

The Dex, Benadryl and antibiotics. I once read 1500-2000mgs of Vitamin C helped speeds recovery.

Of all the dogs here the Beagle patrol dog gets a couple three a year. He is swells like a balloon, lays around a couple days and then right back at his patrol job. He is 12 now so if there are lingering effects of multiple bites he is not showing any.

S

niko likes this.
  12. treezpitz

I've killed 4 damn copperheads in the last 2 weeks. Just last night I walked out of the back door and my first step was literally right over a copperhead. Those are about the only snakes I see here.

niko likes this.
  13. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

They are more the most dangerous and more people /dogs get bit by copperheads than any other snake.If you from the south you know lol.

treezpitz and reddirt redneck like this.
  14. 305APBT

305APBT Big Dog

Copperheads can be pretty damn nasty and not scared but go after potential threats. Ever hear a Pygmy rattler hiss, nasty little bastards they are. I have found that after a good heavy rain that you may have a better chance to encounter snake esp the water moccasins.

treezpitz and reddirt redneck like this.
  15. reddirt redneck

reddirt redneck Big Dog

We've got copperheads & rattlers around the house,not so many since Ive let a few big kings hang around. I kilt a big timber 2 years ago in the yard.. Not as big as that one in the pic, but it was almost 5ft had 10 buttons.. Then down at the water of course cotton mouths & water moccasins.. I hate em all.. When I was still running tree dogs & hog hunting, I was usually the last to hole up for the season, but once I started seeing rattlers regular , we was done, not worth my son gettin hit..

treezpitz, niko and bamaman like this.
  16. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Lol I got every single one you mentioned Red ,as far as in my yard ,more copperheads .I was always told copperheads like yards better than any other snake and I have found it to be true.Couple years ago my brother was pickin scufadons ,that may be spelled wrong but folks from the south know what I mean.He bent down to put some in the bucket and felt something hit his shirt and reflexes kicked in and he caught it .Lol what he caught was the head of a 5 ft rattler and he couldn't let go and this dam snake wrapped around his arm.His wife calls me so I haul ass over there and I have to unwrap this pissed off rattler from his arm....stink ,dam they stink ,they piss and its part of thier defense.So I unwrap him and straighten him out and I told my brother on the count of 3 we gone throw both ends down and run.Well it worked and I was finally able to shoot him,he was a pissed off snake.My brothers had 2 fang marks above the pocket of his shirt ,didn't even scratch him.When he bent over ,naturally the shirt hung down a little bit so that's what the snake hit..Crazy shit ,,never saw anything like it.

17. niko

niko CH Dog

Every time I'm outdoors it's on my mind...better to be cautious then dead

18. reddirt redneck

reddirt redneck Big Dog

I would have shat all over myself

Double 00 Buck and bamaman like this.
  19. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

My brother was wore slam out after wresting with this snake ,fighting for his life is more like it.
    lol it was on a hot summer evening on Sunday.I had drank about a 6 pack and was pretty relaxed ,I just couldn't believe it was happening until I got there .Could have prob got a gallon of sweat out of both of our tshirts after it was done.We both drank several beers after that.lol

20. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

My next door neighbor, a farm or so away, stepped off her back deck two years ago and a copperhead tagged her in the back of the ankle. Hospital stay for about three or four days. Her heel and ankle area looked horrible for a long time. They are nasty.

I see a few but not many. I always think I should see more as the pond is only a couple acres away and a creek is the property line behind the house. I'm not into the snakes at all but my buddy tells me to look for the copperheads after a hard drenching rain followed by the hot sun/high humidity. I'm basically on the watch from the earliest signs of spring until the first snow. I pop them all.

S

21. treezpitz

You and me both, Slim. Off with their heads. Every single one. I'm always looking for them as well.

Unfortunately I don't have a vet that will sell me dex yet so I just keep Benedryl and antibiotics on hand and hope for the best.

I've heard we have timber rattlers here but I have yet to see one.

About 3 weeks ago I was clearing some brush and was running machines to do it and I thought I may have heard the dogs barking but wasn't sure. When I did hear them barking I shut off the equipment and went to see what they were barking at as I could tell by their barks that they were barking at some type of wildlife.

When I went walking down the trail that leads to the area that they were being kept at I saw the tail of a large snake go slithering into the woods. I have no clue what kind of snake it was but it WAS BIG. I know for sure it wasn't a copperhead but have no clue what it actually was. The dogs were going crazy and was barking for a long period after that. I would love to know that it was a king snake but unfortunately I don't know what kind it was lol. I'll just assume (and hope) it was LOL.

niko and reddirt redneck like this.