1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with Spaying

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by ChiaPit, Aug 18, 2006.

1. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

Well, for those of you who don't know, I witnessed a guy dump a puppy and I picked her up. I looked for her a home, but no one that wanted her was "right". I decided to keep her and now she is my "petbull" Big Girl. Being that she has no papers and is from uncertain breeding, she can't really show, I am against BYB, and so the next step was having her fixed.

Well I took her in on Tuesday and when I picked her up she was out of it, she slept all that night no problem, Wednesday night she started bleeding ALOT so we rushed her in to the emergency vet and they put a pressure band on her and kept her overnight. I picked her up Thursday morning and took her to her regular vets where she stayed for the day and then they sent her home with instructions to keep her very still (close to impossible) anyway, I slept on the floor with her last night, I was so worried the bleeding would start again! As a matter of fact, her next appointment is on Monday and I plan on sleeping on the floor all weekend so that I can check her every two hours. I feel so bad. Has anyone else had this happen with your females?

2 people like this.
  2. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

Yikes, that's pretty frightening. I feel for you and wish for a good outcome, but I have never had experience with a problem such as that. Best of luck to you and your girl....

3. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Unfortunately, there is always a risk with surgery. However, even though it's close to impossible, she MUST be kept still. Enjoy your floor slumber party! Good luck with her. :)

4. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I've had 4 girls spayed now (more if you count cats), and I've never seen any problems like that. Sounds scary. Good on you for having her spayed, and hopefully there aren't any further problems.

5. Suki

Suki Guest

Do you have a crate you can use? It would help contain her, and may get you a good nights sleep, as well.

Yup, unfortunately, each dog is different. Good luck, all the way around, and "Thank You" for being her human savior. Points comin your way![​IMG]

6. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

It is hard to keep a dog as inactive as possible to ensure a proper recovery, but it must be done. These dogs ignore pain for the most part, and will just destroy themselves if you let them. Its the same as athletes breaking bones/tearing muscles, the doctors telling them to sit in a wheelchair for 3 months, and do p.t. for 6 months and dont run or do anything strenuous for a year. High pain-tolerance runs in my family, and we tend to believe doctors are overly-cautious and if anyone can get away with a quick recovery-we can. This made me get out running on a mangled foot a few months after it healed. I simply rebusted the fusing bones. I had shoulder dislocation surgery where they cut the expanded muscle that is supposed to hold the shoulder in the socket, and stretch it overitself and sew it up to take out the slack to allow it to contain the shoulder again. A few months later I started wrestling again, and popped it out before it could even heal. To this day I wake up in the middle of the night a few times a week, and have to pop my shoulder back in socket because it dislocated while sleeping. Its a mess, and if the doctors (or vets) tell you to do something, its in your (or your animals) best intrest to do it exactly as they say. Sometimes we are stubborn, and hard-headed, but we dont have the degree, they know what they are talking about and have seen idiots like us thousands of times come back to them because we didnt heed their advice on staying immobile the entire duration, and we ultimately ruined what the surgery did the first time. Dont be like us, do it right the first time and follow the vets recommendations to a "T". With that said, a crate is going to be your best friend. When you let the dog out to eliminate, keep her on a leash. In the house, give her plenty of toys to keep her mentally stimulated, and keep her mind off her pent up energy.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2006
  7. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

She was probably a heavy bleeder on the table. I've experienced some bad bleeders they usually need to stay longer because they just don't clot as fast. We've had a bad boxer and an even worse old english. The best thing you can do is keep her calm and subdued. The best vet I ever worked for always gave pain meds to take home that helped keep the dogs doped up. He spayed my crazy dobe bitch, I slacked on the meds and was riding with her in the car, she jumped out my window to chase a hair and I ran her over! I had an all steel, old Monte Carlo that weighed over 2 tons! She yiped and just chased the damn hare... she was fine... crazy bitch! I also advise a crate. I wish I doped her up and kept her in the crate, because I was playing with fire. In the shelter where we spayed and neutered all our animals, they were confined until we felt they were at low risk of injury.

8. cheese

cheese Top Dog

LMAO that is crazy!!!

9. Attila

Attila Guest

I have had the same problem before. It was horrible. I doubt that I will ever have it done again. I can put doggy pants on them while inside and in the kennel when out side. I have one mutt that I would like to have done but I don't trust any vet near me. Next time I head out of town I will take her to my vet up in Michigan. I trust her. In all my years I have not had one mistake litter. It isn't that hard to put them up during the period and I keep them in the kennel for a few weeks or untill the heat is for sure out. You can't miss those periods. If you can't see them you can smell them. I can smell blood ten miles off. I start getting hyper and feel a rush to my head when I smell blood. It is a conditional thing that came on some time during my first combat tour. Unless your a smoker I don't see any reason to miss that damn smell.

10. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

I just went and checked out big girl's pictures. I hope she pulls through fine. She is so beautiful!

11. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

Thanks everybody for your input and advice, after a LONG weekend she is doing fine. I take her to the vet this afternoon for the final thumbs up but she seems to be feeling great and there has been no more bleeding. I didn't have a crate (She usually sleeps on the couch) but we blew up an air mattress and we all took turns sitting/sleeping on the floor with her and she took it well as long as someone stayed next to her. I went and bought her some bones to chew on to give her something to do and we rented a bunch of movies to give us something to do. Anyway, thanks again!