1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Prong collar fit

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by findrodhere, Feb 3, 2006.

1. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

How do you correctly fit a prong collar?

Should it be taught around the neck all the while you are walking?

2. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

the ring where the leash is hooked should ALWAYS be at the bottom of the neck and NO itshould not be kept pulled tight while walking You only do a sharp quick correction with it and then release NEVER keep it pulled tight. I will post pics here in a bit of how it should be correctly put on and used

3. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

I don't mean that i'm holding it tight throughout the whole walk. When the dog is wearing it should it hang down a bit (2-3 fingers of space) or should it be fitted to where there is no slack?

4. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

This is exactly how the prong collar should be on the dog......

5. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

ahhhh, ok, does it help when it's ring is facing down?
    Why not facing the side your knee is on?

6. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

just wonderin why you decided on the prong collar.. i've tried most all collars on mine, and only a few worked for what i needed it for. which was mainly to keep them from pulling mu girl down the street. if pullin IS the problem,,try the shoulder harness. it works best with mine.(the harder she pulls, the tighter it gets around the front shoulders.) the prong works,,as long as there os no distraction.(another animal) then it's trash. or with mine it was. as soon as she wanted something, everything else was ignored,(as far as the collar goes.). but if you're usin it for something else, they hit it. just use it for corrections with sharp jerks, and a command.

7. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

i dont know about facing to the side my neighbor is a trainer and he told me it is always supposed to face down and he said that some dogs after they are trained rarely need an actual correction that they can feel even if the ring is slightly pulled up without a full correction and that the dog will generally correct itself without you haveing to actually use the collar.

8. Ky_PitBulls

Ky_PitBulls CH Dog

where would be a good place to find a prong collar?

9. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

Good advice, highvoltage. I just refitted my prong collar.

Whitey: my dog doesn't pull very much(a lot of training and time took care of that), but when I'm walking with a lot of people around (kids running, people biking and jogging), I need to have absolute control over the dog (sounds a little crazy, i know). With the prong on he walks like a champ. Head up, eyes forward or on me and is oblivious to the world around him.

ky: http://www.leerburg.com/prong.htm#quick I just found that site, looks good. I have a chrome plated quick release prong collar.

10. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I guess we are blessed! ;) In my area you can pick up a good prong collar at the co-op for $6.00.

11. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

That web site I found has crazy prices, I got the same one for $21.

12. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

i bought my prong collar for $18

13. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

when walking the ring goes up on the animals neck so that you can pull the collar tight.

14. N M PITS

N M PITS Big Dog

sorry, but i thought these collars were for training purposes only if you need one to walk your dog you may think about retraining the dog to walk on the leash correctly that is why the ring is on the top not the bottom because it is not for walking it is for training

15. I'm new with pits, but isnt a dog always being trained?? I think (and i may be wrong) that any opportunity to make a dog more likely to follow your commands should be utilized. OFC I dont know that much, i am the first to admit that, I just bought a prong collar, and i am thinking of taking it back. I dont think that it is too cruel to the dog ( I did try it on, both in the store and at home, and jerked the living snot out of it. i didnt like it, but i cant say that it "hurt"), but i dont know for sure how it is best used. So you know what, i think that i will just keep my mouth shut...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2006