1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Proposed Pit Bull Ban Called 'Unfair'

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by Marty, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

NORTHUMBERLAND - The pit bull has been described as a ticking time bomb and the Province of Ontario has decided to stomp out it's fuse with a ban on the breed.
    Attorney General Michael Bryant announced last week that legislation will be introduced this fall which will: ban pit bulls province-wide, muzzle existing pit bulls and increase fines up to $10,000 and allow for possible jail sentences, of up to six months, for owners of any dangerous dog that bites, attacks or poses a threat to public safety.

"Some of these dogs are nothing but a loaded weapon waiting to go off and so we are taking action to make our communities safer," says Mr. Bryant. "People wanted to be protected from the menace of these dangerous dogs."

Lou Rinaldi, Northumberland MPP, says his government has had to respond with the proposed pit bull ban because of the number of increased pit bull attacks in Ontario. Mr. Rinaldi notes that changes could still be made concerning possibly including other breeds in the legislation.

"I am not sure if it is strong enough yet but there will be plenty of opportunities for changes to it," says Mr. Rinaldi.

The pit bulls chief ancestor is the bull dog and both the bull dog and pit bulls were used for hunting, farming and bear and bull baiting, notes www.realpitbull.com. Pit bulls were imported to North America shortly before the American Civil War however, as early as the mid 1830's, pit bulls were being bred for dog fighting, with a concentration on the breeding of it's aggressive traits.

Ten per cent of the 287 dogs to date, which have been kept at the local Shelter of Hope Animal Services, have been pit bull or pit bull cross dogs. German shepherds and some of its cross breeds are the most common dogs moving through the shelter this year, accounting for 12.5 per cent. Ross Barth, Animal Services Manager, says that any dog is capable of hurting and attacking someone, especially if it is in the wrong hands, but admits a pit bull can be vicious.

"When a pit bull attacks, everything everyone says about them is true," explains Mr. Barth. "However, to narrow it (the ban) on just pit bulls is unfair. I have seen so many dog bites and it is unfair to target just one breed."

Mr. Barth has had to deal with four local pit bull attacks in the last two years.

"In one case, a man who had a German shepherd and a pit bull, came home to find parts of his German shepherd all over the backyard," recalls Mr. Barth. "That dog was pumped and no one knew what set it off."

Mr. Barth had two police officers attend that particular scene with him for added protection as he attempted to capture the dog. Another pit bull attack happened two years ago, on Halloween night, when a pit bull bit three different people. The fact pit bulls were bred to fight is what really distinguishes them from most domestic dogs, notes Mr. Barth.

"Whatever this dog was bred for it is not used for. When they bred pit bulls it was like having a six-cylinder Chevy Nova and dropping a 454 engine into it," says Mr. Barth.

Cobourg's muzzle and leashing bylaw, for dogs which bite a person or animal, is a tool Mr. Barth says is effective in dealing with dangerous dogs. Further "preventative measures" aimed at dog owners of any breed of dog are the key to curbing dog attacks and encouraging responsible pet ownership, states Mr. Barth.

"I deal with aggressive dogs of all kinds everyday and for me this bylaw is a tool I can use," says the animal services manager. "Unfortunately there is no guarantee on what kind of dog will attack."

The Ontario Veterinary Medical Association (OVMA) and the National Companion Animal Coalition (NCAC) have both stated their opposition to dog breed bans. NCAC states in 'Do Breed Bans Work?' that there are dangerous dogs in every breed and breed bans result in the exclusion of other dangerous dogs. Also, NCAC notes, that dangerous temperament and behavior are products of many factors other than just breed. Dr. Tim Zaharchuk, OVMA president, says the Province failed to consult with veterinarians and behavior experts prior to deciding to legislate a breed ban.

"Although we support the need for action to deal with dangerous dogs," says Dr. Zaharchuk. "It is unfortunate the Province has jumped to the conclusion that a ban on pit bulls is the solution without having consulted experts on the issue."

OVMA states that a province-wide ban could result in the premature death of pit bulls which are, "beloved family members" and do not pose a threat to anyone.

Port Hope's Jeremy Lennox recently adopted Rambo, a pit bull, from the Shelter of Hope and says the breed ban will hurt a lot of good pit bulls in Ontario which belong to responsible owners.

"It is a shame a good dog like Rambo has to be muzzled," says Mr. Lennox. "Every dog can be set off by something. It is hard to just pick on the pits (pit bulls). A Bull Mastiff is bigger and stronger and tell me that dog will not cause damage."

Mr. Lennox says Rambo has adjusted fine to home life with his golden retriever Angel and Bud, his springer spaniel. Mr. Lennox says he wanted a large breed dog and after climbing into Rambo's cage at the shelter he knew he wanted the pit bull.

"The only thing with pit bulls is that they have a lot of energy and you have to exercise them two to three times a day," says Mr. Lennox. "I have been attacked by a Shih-Tzu and have only been bitten by small dogs in the couple years of working at Sherri's Pet Grooming. In the end, the issue is more about owner responsibility than the responsibility of the breed."

2. carson3535

carson3535 Big Dog

A good post, I wish more people outside this message board would take time to read what is going on with pitbulls and start making a difference instead of wanting to see the next big dog fight. Thats all I hear about when people see my dogs, and they say "want to fight them" are where can I get a pup at" Man see its people like that, that are screwing things up for good dog owners.

Sorry to go off like that, but people need to stop sitting around and start do something about bad dog owners before they bring the ban down to the states and where you and I live at.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2004