1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

pulled muscle?????

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by scottyh, Apr 28, 2011.

1. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

i brang my dog for a long run a few weeks ago she hadnt realy done any long distance running in a while and when we got home she had a nap when she woke up i wnt to stroke the middle of her back about a hands width up from the base of her tail and she yelped and sat on the floor i let her rest and she was ok later that day but iv noticed she wont jump anymore and if she makes a quick dart for somthing she will stop and lift herrear left leg up as if she has cram or somthing i was wondering is ther any muscles she could pull or hurt in the part of back that i explained and her leg i masaged her back tonight and she started sniffing out as if she was in a lili pain but she didint seem to mind im jus wondering wether to bring her to the vet or should i massage it and see how it is in a few weeks if it is a muscle how long would it take to heal also i brang her to the park and was chucking the ball for her today the first throw she limped on her leg but once she ran a few throws she was fine and had a good workout any info and help would be much appreciated thanks

2. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

a long run on a cycle by the way

3. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

should i stop letting herrun and exercise and jus walk on the leash for the minute untill shes better???

4. BullDawg

BullDawg Big Dog

if she is still showing signs of being in pain, i would not advise running her and would opt to keep walking to a minimal as well. a pulled muscle, if that's what it is, is going to take about 7-14 days to heal. any exercise prior to that time frame could reinjure it. if she appears to be in pain, buffered baby aspirin, (if she can tolerate it), should help. dose according to weight.

5. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

i was just reading about hip dysplasia hope its not that she is 6 now it just showed after the long run she has a lil bit of trouble geting up from layin down well not trouble jus gets up slower than usual and walks slow but then when i bring to the park with her ball she dont mind running thanks for your help

6. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

she also about a week ago tryed to jump up thesea wall and fell she started limping from that cant member if she limped before was just moving slow and lazy

7. Leslie H

Leslie H Big Dog

Torn or pulled ACL is common with these guys too. Restrict her exersize and let her heal. This breed often has a high tolerance for pain, they'll play through an injury that would have other breeds screaming.

8. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

whats the acl??

9. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

I would suggest not working her anymore as mentioned above, because it will probably just make the injury worse.

If you stop working her and don't see any improvement, I would take her to the vet and get xrays done.

10. jacko

jacko CH Dog

when racehorses sustain muscle injuries hydrotherepy seems the way to go . do you know anyone with a childs garden pool which you could use !under supervision ofcourse ! and lay off normal excersise !

11. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

so basic light swiming??? she seems ok tody walking fine and stuff ithink i wont do any exercise for a few weeks and see how she is

12. kalenhcc

kalenhcc Big Dog

Mine started doing almost the exact same thing. He would work and then after he had been layin down awhile he would get up slow and limp real bad on his front leg. The vet gave me some pain pills and some joint supplement pills to give daily and told me to crate him except to eat and empty for 6 to 8 weeks. I just started walking him again this week and were taking things slow and he seems to be doing very well now. The vet took x rays and she thought he had a chip/crack or a rough spot on the cartlidge on the ball of his shoulder joint. She told me if i wouldnt have caught it when i did he would have had to have surgery or it could have turned into arthritis. Hope this helps I would suggest seeing your vet. Good luck

13. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

i didint take her out yesterdayand shes been resting she seems alot better already shes walking with pace now but im not going to chance it ill rest her for around two weeks and see if theres an improvement if not then its off to the vets ill be a bit scared to make her wrk again incase she hurts it again though:mad: thanks for your advice

Attached Files:

14. May be it happens because of excessive exercise but you just do massage with coconut oil and give him some rest and avoid exercise until its recovery.

15. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

ill give it a try thanks

16. Yas

Yas Big Dog

You need to get her checked out, it could be anything.
    You have dog chiropractors in England.
    The more you exercise her the worse you`re gonna make it.
    My dog had biceps tendonitis, after a lot of rest and anti inflamms he still wasn`t right so I gave him a human supplement that regenerates connective tissue and he was good after a few days.

17. bedding

18. WWII

WWII Banned

Anterior cruciate ligament. It helps stabilize the femur on the tibia. It's located within the knee joint.

How's she doing now? The best thing to do is to keep lightly exercising it. You want to keep it moving. Light walks would be the best. And try to stretch it. Keep it moving through a full ROM.

19. Yas

Yas Big Dog

Agree that she needs to keep full ROM especially if there is scar tissue forming but if there`s a f*cked up ACL she needs to get it treated.

20. Punch

Punch Pup

I agree that rest and confinement may be good for the affected leg but considering your dog's age, a visit to the vet should be on top of your list in order for a correct treatment regimen to be started. If it's a torn ACL, there are many surgical procedures that you and your vet can choose from. A good rehab protocol is also necessary so that your dog can regain full use of the limb.