1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

pup or a prospect ?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by New England, Jun 4, 2010.

1. New England

New England Banned

when getting into the game after doing all of your homework.what would be the best bet,buying a well bred pup or a equaly bred prospect.

2. fblb

fblb Top Dog

Buying a good solid bitch would be my first step, if I was starting ground up. Save a little more cash, and buy a grown solid bitch.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2010
  3. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

prospect. getting a pup means your yard doesnt really start for another 2years. and if it doesnt work out you're waiting even longer.

4. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

Find a tried grown dog. This increases your odds. It costs more, but in my opinion it is worth the extra change.

5. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

If you've never owned a good dog then in my opinion you should get a pup. This will give you time to learn and understand the breed. Take this couple years to learn as much as possible.

6. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

nothing wrong with getting both. but i will say this, if you've never owned a real bulldog, grabbing a fired up prospect will be a reality shock. hell a hot pup can be too much for some people

7. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

Yeah I guess it depends on how much homework they have done. If you never been around them then get a pup, but the best way to get were you want to be is find a honest person and get a grown one.

8. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i went the puppy route but i know the odds, i got a handful of female pups from what i consider high percentage breedings. Im sure the majority will turn out, im gonna go with what is the best IMO. My plans are to just pay a stud fee and be done with it. If i was in a hurry i would buy a proven brood bitch and breed her to a stud of my choice but i dont want pups for another 3 years so im good with pups?

9. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

If you go the pup route finding the right breeder would the key. Avoid the mass producers and hype men. Find a straight shooting person who produces honest dogs.

10. doubledog

doubledog Pup

depends on what u want to do.

11. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

go to the pound or rescue & get a dog.

12. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

If your already thinking of breeding then you made a few very key mistakes already!
    Go with a rescue first and see if you really want to get a apbt

13. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

female pup and a male prospect is what i suggest for people starting out

14. For a first time APBT owner? take the rescue/foster route and see if its the right breed for you.

15. PERRO

PERRO Big Dog

I say go with a pup. If you've never own an APBT you should see if you can handle at least a puppy. Buying a grown bitch and having a littler right away without ever owning a pup will be too much. What are you going to do if after the litter is born, and who knows how many she'll have, you decide you can't handle a bunch of puppies, and a full grown female.

16. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

id say prospect unless youre in a situation like me, no matter how much daddy argues, kids ALWAYS want a pup

17. PADogman

PADogman Top Dog

Get yourself a good brood female take her to a good producing stud of similar blood lines and go from there.

18. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

lmao u sound thrilled about having puppies:D
    They are annoying little shits arent they haha

19. fblb

fblb Top Dog

How do you figure that a rescue/foster dog would be comparable to a dog that was specifically bred from game bred lines? You have a much higher chance of getting something that is actually about something from a shelter....I am not saying shelters are bad, but I am saying is that you have a much higher chance of getting a correct bulldog out of a solid breeder than you could out of a shelter. Your chances are much better if you start on the rock rather than sand, my child. A rescue dog will not give you near the understanding of this breed that a good pup from a solid yard will...much less a prospect.

20. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

idk they are talkin about a prospect from a rescue, more for experience. I do agree that the chances of gettin a dog with the drive and athletic ability of a real bulldog arent very high tho. I grew up with a lot of apbt and apbt mixes as a kid. I can tell you there is def a huge difference. I would say find someone who will let you hang around the yard but a pup will give more experience than a byb dog especially if u end up w a lazy mutt