1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

puppy coughing

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by shorti.62, Nov 27, 2012.

1. looker

looker Pup

Glad I posted lol look at all the info that has come about now hee hee
    This is a must have book also, for any dog owner:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2012
  2. old goat

old goat CH Dog

go to another vet .

3. shorti.62

shorti.62 Pup

well, we just came from vet, and he said it is kennel cough.. he told me, that it is very mild form of kennel cough, so he didnt gave me nothing.. he told me that if puppy doesnt stop coughing in 14 days from 1st day coughing, i should come back to get antibiotics, but its not necessary.. he asked me about other dogs, and told me to isolate him from others.. and since my stafford bitch got attacked by 3 cats and got microsporia, its possibility that microsporia and some other bacteria made my pup start coughing..
    but he couldnt tell me nothing about healing or treating k-cough.. just that i have to isolate him, and to take him out when its cold (since its almost winter here, and its 0 degrees, its not possible).

i got 2 year old stafford, never had any problems or need to visit a vet, so i could find out how uneducated vets are around here.. tragedy! well, at least they earned 89€ today.. FOR NOTHING

4. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Glad you got to the route of the problem. I treated a dog once for kennel cough but his was bad and required antibiotics and hand feeding because he refused to eat. What you want to watch out for is wheezing (difficulty breathing), fever, if the cough progresses or continues to get worse, lethargy, and loss of appetite. The dog we treated came from a shelter so it's not uncommon for shelter dogs to get this. But his kennel cough progressed to something worse he wouldn't eat, had to get him on IV's, and of course a 14 day round of strong antibiotics. Just glad it's a mild form which usually it is. But I wanted to make you aware of what you should watch out for if this proceeds to get worse. As long as the pup is playing as normal and eating as normal and none of symptoms I mentioned arise you should be just fine sir. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  5. shorti.62

shorti.62 Pup

thanks for everything guys :)

6. looker

looker Pup

No problem... I would still do the garlic concoction, it wouldn't hurt the pup at all... I don't want no pup of my suffering, no matter how minor the problem is... Imho ijs

7. BullDawg

BullDawg Big Dog

for kennel cough, a simple solution that works well, has been used and been around for years and will cost you almost nothing is mixing a few drops of hydrogen peroxide with water, along a little lemon juice. put some in his water bowl 2x a day. dog should be fine within a matter of days.