1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Puppy food

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Xena, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Xena

Xena Pup

Just wondering if anyone can recommend good food to feed my puppy and how long should she stay on it?

2. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

I've always fed my dogs & puppies Eukanuba. However, I just switched to Diamond puppy, they seem to be doing just fine on it. I can say - suddenly there is a LOT less gas! :eek:

3. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

We feed Diamond puppy as well, and the BARF diet to pups. Usually when they hit the chain they go our adult dog diet with some extra supplementing.

BB

4. Marty

Marty Guest

I would feed the puppy food for at least 12 months JMO.

5. SSandecki

SSandecki Pup

Purina ONE Large Breed Puppy Formula is what I use till 11 months, then slowly start changing over to Purina ONE Large Breed Adult Formula till about 15-16 months to gain proper weight limit, but some dogs just don't gain weight. Then I switch over Purina ONE Sensitive Systems just because I like the fact salmon is the main source of protien. This is my opinion and other professional breeders may have better methods. Also, stay away from wet dog food!

6. If you have a Walmart near by go check out the Maximum Nutrition dog food(black bag) Its fairly inexpensive and does wonders for my 4 dogs. I used to feed them Iams but after my wife started working for a sled dog store she got turned on to this shit and wow. also its lamb based and that is good. A good way to tell if its good or not is to just read the ingredients. if there is a filler it the first three ingredients then dont buy it. look for meat in the first three and your good.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2004
  7. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

Your best bet would be to feed a premium type of dog food (Innova, Martin’s K9, Chicken Soup, etc.) A puppy requires the same thing an adult dog does nutritionally, the only difference is they require a higher caloric intake. So they should be feed multiple times throughout the day as opposed to once a day.

What you feed your dog, basically defines what they have the potential to become. Just about as surely as does the dog's genetics. Yet when most people shop for dog food, the last thing on their mind, "is this the best I can do for my dog, to help him reach his/her full potiential. Instead, what is usually on their mind is "how can I spend as little as possible". Scanting on the nutrition of their dog, in an effort to save a few dollars, is the motivating factor behind most when buying dog food.

8. SFK

SFK Top Dog

I feed my dogs Exceed 30/20 straight thru. from 6 weeks on. Never had any problems at all.

9. Xena

Xena Pup

Thanks for the all the replies. THis gives me a lot of choices so it just depends on what I can can get all the time. I don't want to constantly be switching out the pup's food because they are always out. I want to try to stick to one.

10. carson3535

carson3535 Big Dog

I use to feed my pups Nutro max puppy food then I got turned on to Canidae by Texasbulldogs and it is great. Can tell a big differance in only 2.5 weeks.
    And you feed them the same Canidae all there lifes until they are a senior then you get senior Canidae. But you just feed a pup more threw the day useing Canidae then you would an adult.

11. I used to feed mine Pedigree, but after reading about ingredients from previous post, I decided to change mine over to Purina 1 Large Breed Puppy. I have just tapered off the Pedigree and starting tonight it will be straight Purina 1.
    R

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2004
  12. Xena

Xena Pup

When we went over to the breeders house to visit Xena I asked what she fed the pups parents. She said she uses Diamond adult food.