1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Puppy Protein?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by socks, Oct 8, 2009.

1. socks

socks Big Dog

How much protein is too high for puppies? I feed TOTW Pacific Stream which is 26%.

2. Phillip

Phillip Pup

I have been researching this lately and I have heard many people say up to 32% is ok for a puppy. When you start to get into the high 30 to low 40% is where you need to shy away from.

Note: Take my above statement as a collective of advice I have gathered from many sources. I am still very green and I am sure dogmen on this board can chime in with maybe better advice.

3. You not only need to consider PROTEIN. There is a protein to calcium ratio that should be followed among other things. Too much protein without due balance will cause malformation of the bones (excess growth for example) which may lead to dysplacia, etc in the future.....

4. socks

socks Big Dog

Thanks, so what is the ratio I should look for?

5. Phillip

Phillip Pup

Thanks for the link Rocky!

*above is a PM written by Rocky

I see how effective a proper diet can be when I am lifting weights and working out. I can only imagine the same is somewhat true for these guys. That is why I am trying to dig deeper into the various options board members recommend.

6. socks

socks Big Dog

Thanks for the info