1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

question about pregnancy testing

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by whiteyransom, May 19, 2007.

1. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

i had a guy tell me that a reg. pregnancy test (for a human) would work on a dog...do any of you know if this is true or not? and have you tried it?

thanks all
    whitey

2. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I have often wondered if that's true...

3. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

When I was in school a teacher told me that you could. I never tried it though. I asked a vet I worked for in Colorado he said Hmmm it may. But then I asked a Vet I worked for here in GA he looked at me like I was stupid then I asked him if he ever tried it he said no. SO I really do not know. LOL Sorry it doesn't answer your question. I always wondered too because I always got mixed answers. I know at work we have a blood serum test called a Relaxin Test to test for canine pregnancy.

4. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

I will test it out for yall tomarrow when the store is open and can get one. Will post results in the afternoon ;)

5. Suki

Suki Guest

likewise: got "mixed reviews" as well...and i've never see any evidence first hand.

curious to see the results...

6. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

I wonder if the human test is similar like the relaxin where they have to be further along to get a positive

7. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

thanks!! i'll keep an eye out for the results! hell, i might make the trip up to the store in the a.m. an see for myself what happens.

8. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

just how to you get the dog to pee in the cup or on the stick? ;) lol.

9. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

very carefully!:D

10. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

We've tried it at the clinic at the same time we ran a blood test to see what our results were. We didn't get any positives on the human stick tests when we did get positives on the blood tests. Who knows.

As for the "how to", grab a tupperware bowl that you don't mind chunking afterwards, follow your dog around as she looks to go to the bathroom, put the container underneath the urine stream. Then take the sample inside, soak the test strip part for 5 seconds, then recap & lie flat. ;)

11. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

Ok I tried it with two different tests and NEITHER showed a positive. My dog is due in 3 days so its not like she isnt far enough along either. So for me it did not work.

12. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

Well at least that answers that question. LOL Tell her thanks for being the lab rat!

13. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

lmao I'll thank her for you. She looked at me like I was retarded when I ran up on her with a little pan to catch the pee.