1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Question for the Old Timers.

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by D Game Butcher, Oct 9, 2010.

1. D Game Butcher

D Game Butcher Big Dog

Dogs of today, or dogs of yesterday. Do bulldogs seem to be evolving for the better or the worse? Not just referring to gameness.

Which era of bulldogs do you think to be the greatest?

2. Deniz

Deniz Big Dog

3. Deniz

Deniz Big Dog

4. garth

garth Big Dog

The dogs I breed today are better preformers then the dogs i started with.All of us that breed our main aim should be the bettering of the blood line that we use no ?about it,if we do'nt then why breed them.

5. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I think the dogs of today and the dogs of yesterday haven't changed. What's changed is people have gotten better at conditioning and diet. That's the difference.

6. oldslowblue

oldslowblue Big Dog

true in deed. keeps, science medicine, equipment, feed, .... everything has become better! Well, for the most part...

7. Boze

Boze Top Dog

completely agree. if you took art or eli jr or niggerino, or any great dog of yesteryear and condition them with todays diet they will be just as good if not better

8. crazy horse

crazy horse Big Dog

tottally agree tho there do seem to be more smash em to peices dogs around today:cool:

9. Wally123

Wally123 Big Dog

It's a very tricky question, you can't use man as an example because men aren't bred to fight. I'm sure performance has improved but how can it be gauged...

10. CHUVALOFAN

CHUVALOFAN Top Dog

I am no old timer but have been very lucky to have befriended one that I have the utmost respect for. I will say this and I have said it before whether it's the old school dogman or the great pit dogs of the past people tend to romanticize the times, the men and the dogs. They do much the same with the sport of boxing and the great fighters of the past compared to today.

I believe the very best dogs of today outshine the ones of the past. I am not talking shit or belittling those greats, its just there has been so much advancements in nutrition and vet care among other things place the very best of today a much better dog overall. That being said I have nothing but respect for the old school and their is much to be learned but the greats of today should not be overlooked by romanticized takes from that of old.

11. CHUVALOFAN

CHUVALOFAN Top Dog

12. CHUVALOFAN

CHUVALOFAN Top Dog

Again these are just my thoughts and are not meant to be disrespectful to anyone or any dog of the past, if not for them we would not be where we are today.

13. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

I would have to say yes and no...
    Everything evolves and the game bulldogs of yester year have too...
    I think that at one time the dogs wernt game fighers anf thru practice and evolution they have got better... on a small fraction...
    on a bog fraction dogs that came from gamelines and wernt bred true are probably higher ercentage than ever...
    So i would say yes, the best of today is better from practice and evolution,but...
    No they are worse than ever on a whole considering the population with more substandards than ever...
    But those grandchampions that are producing the same and so forth were a rarity in the past, more people more dogs more chances of doing so...
    The compititon is getting better and there are some extreme teams competing world wide, if the coms better so are the dogs...
    Just theory...

14. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I've always felt the only reason to breed 2 dogs together was to better the next generation so in theory, dogs today should be better or their breeders have failed, if of couse standards are kept.. I do agree though with EP's yes/no theory too.
    It takes more than just having a dog to make it to the races and there's a lot of other factors involved in the time frame differences between then and now. On a level playing field the better ones today should theoretically be better then those of yesteryear. No way to really prove any of it, it's kind of like the how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop, the world may never know. :lol:

15. old goat

old goat CH Dog

if they are better now then tell why and how ? what i've seen is colors changed some haha ask limey . there is more chocolate dogs than there was 39 years ago . the breeding and thinking of some is strange . there is still guys who love they family bred dog . but i sure don't seen anything different that there is than there is to many garner dogs out there haha . you know i've owned a lot of dogs with all kinds of names but never 1 that had garner in the ped .

16. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

My reason for stating my opinion saying they should be better is pretty much just the evolutionary theory that the strong survive.
    I've only had one dog with garners name in it and that was my first dog ever. Lol
    I wasn't around 39 years ago so that's why I say I believe what I see more so than what I read.

17. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

Without the ins and outs of this discussion.....the 90's. Now I'm not going to act as if I had gamebred bulldogs back then, hell I was a teen. But this area has a long history of Bulldoggers. Now I didn't know anything about sanctioned events or what not, all I know is I could walk through just about any part of my city and there would be people wanting to get together, and talk dogs. Back then there were all kinds of red, red nosed dogs and TBT I didn't see my first apbt with a black nose until I was about 17....lol. Feels funny using those terms again. Anyhow the 90's....if I knew then what I know now....HUH!

18. CHUVALOFAN

CHUVALOFAN Top Dog

The camps today that are doing the best in my area are doing battle crosses with RBJBT x Boyles and other crosses to winning dogs. Not so much interested in long term line breeding but winning in the here and now. I can tell you the dogs I have seen bred like this are freaks.

19. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

I been noticing a lot of RBJ/TB x Eli or Eli/Carver.

20. CHUVALOFAN

CHUVALOFAN Top Dog

I seen one at a show and the owner told me his dog was off a male down from that Richard Ramirez dog to a heavy Burns gyp and I can tell you he got the job done in breath taking fashion.

I of course am talking weight pull.