1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Question:

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by elijahtiner, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Why do Patterdale owners hook their dogs together. I see this a lot in pictures. I owned bulldogs for years and this is the last thing I would ever do with a bulldog. I'm new at the whole Patterdale scene and hope it doesn't make me look foolish but asking is the only way to learn I reckon. Thanks, ET

2. i never hook mine together but i work alot of fields and creeks and brush moreso than burrows. I would guess that people keep there dogs on the line and release them one at a time when working burrows so that the 2nd dog doesn't pin the 1st dog in the hole. and who wants to carry 2 leashes anyway... I could be wrong but this is what I would say is goin on

3. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

I use a couples set up when i have got em out hunting. its not always the easiest thing to find something to tie the non working dogs off to while you are digging to the working dog, let alone a couple different places to tie em off. the terriers are so focused on what we are doing with the shovels they are not paying attention to each other hardly at all. and for the walk back to the truck it is easier to use only one leash. also the collars that come with the deben set up (which I use) are only so strong and are not meant to be used as a collar attached to the tie out or leash. the reason the locator collars are not made burlier is so that if the terrier gets hung up on a root or other obstacle under ground that the terrier would have enough strength or weight to snap the collar rather than get hung up or strangled by it. so the couples i use include the heavier collars permanently attached to the couples set up instead of using the locator collar for rentention.

4. Well, I appreciate the good advice. I bought one and I'll put it to use. There seems to be a lot to learn but I guess time and experience is the teacher. This forum is full of great information. Thanks

5. Jumping in with both feet and lovin every minute of it.

6. jacko

jacko CH Dog

yo :dogkiss:

7. Well, I got a good two dog lead and now I am looking for a Deben Long Range Terrier Finder. If you know a good source in the USA I would appreciate the link. Would even consider a used one if the price was right and it worked good. Thanks.

8. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

JRTCA sells em brand new in the box, best deal I have found in the USA. they also sell replacement collars and additional beepers for working more than one dog. I would be real cautious about buying a used one unless you really really trust who you are dealing with. Jack Russell Terrier: Gift Store: working $330.00 locator and one collar. $150.00 additional collar. they also replacement collars that are fluorescent orange that are not on the page but if you ask about them, they probably can dig some up for you, $10.00 if I remember right, and well worth it in my opinion. they are rubberized and dont hold the skunk smell as bad as the leather ones.

9. Thank you.

10. it makes it easyer to lead a few dogs i have 2 , 3 and 4 dog leads ,i hog hunt i hook my bulldogs together,an my patterdale to my bulldogs or with other dogs all the time after you catch a hog or on the way to a bay , if your dogs know there job is to hunt, an not fight with each other then they will get along just fine , i also coon hunt and hook my hounds together too

11. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

swamp where do you get a four dog lead, the most i can find is a triple from bill boatman in ohio

12. valley creek here in texas sells the ones i like with the thick nylon an chain bottom or custom collars i like the thicker nylon because i had a 3 dog from bill boatman an my dogs broke it pulling on it when i was tying a hog , i add clips to mine though