1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Quite disturbing...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by 14rock, Dec 2, 2006.

1. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

http://www.spayspalding.com/proposal.htm

I just ran across this on the net, and was disturbed that this is even considered, and was not shot down in the intial phases. I dont believe many people realize this isnt just for "them", its for "you" as well!

The basic run-down of it is, its a proposed law, a group is trying to pass, based on myths, financial greed, and some very misled ideas. I believe anyone who has stepped into an animal shelter, can attest to the fact that something needs to be done concerning the over-population crisis this country is facing. Dogs deserve better then living in a 4'x4' kennel for any period of time, being taken out twice a day to eliminate, as well as hose the kennel down.

I truely believe most of the time when mandatory spay/neuter laws are proposed, the majority of people pushing for it,truely believe they are doing the right thing. However, it's not, and it is not the governments job to tell us what to do with our animals. Forcing people to spay/neuter animals will do nothing to curb the problem. Whose going to stop the stay dog hitting up every bitch in heat, and give him a fine for not being neutered? Ya right! When it boils down to it, its what I like to call a "feel-good" law. It serves no real purpose, but it makes people FEEL better, and think things have changed, when they have not. I'm all for the altering of pets, and believe 85% of animals need to be altered. The majority of dog owners have no business breeding animals, BUT its not my job to make them stop, nor is it the governments.

I'd like to point out a few things I noticed while browsing that site.

1.) Is it $45 or $65, you state two fines in two diffrent places. If you can't set a designated ammount, how can you enforce a law?

2.) You state this will NOT strain the counties financial, or physical capabilities. If you plan on enforcing this law, logic states otherwise. If you will have police officers worrying about writing these tickets, your wasting time that could be spent making sure our streets are safe. If you have people designated just for this law, not only do you have to train them, which takes time and $$, but you now have to put them on the payroll.

It seems to me the major focus of this proposal is easy money. $65 a year, per dog, adds up QUICK. You also openly state this will cause less dogs being bred, meaning more dogs being adopted from your humane society. Its a corner on the market, as us, responsible dog-owners, expense.

Not only can you not show a spayed/neutered animal in many serious shows, you cannot produce future champions and show-dogs. I have never bred a litter myself, but I admire these fantastic examples of my breed I get to see at shows, and the offspring they produce.

As for "hunting dogs work BETTER if they are altered" may be true, and I know in many cases, it actually is. However, the hunt is what designates dogs worthy of being bred, to those which do not. I love my animals to have a job, true to their standard, and find my percentages of good hunting dogs really drop if I buy from people who do not hunt with their animals. When an animal is an exceptional hunter, and excels in all other areas, then it may be bred, if you have room for the pups, and your only goal is producing quality animals. Without letting our dogs hunt, we will loose truely great hunting dogs in only a few generations.

I also have to ask, why you have a link to the HSUS regarding tethering in your "Q&A" section of the site. I'm not a big fan of the HSUS, and am in disagreement with many things they do, but that is for another time. Am I missing something? What does tethering animals have to do with a law concering altered animals? It seems my fears are correct, that this is a law being passed simply to eradicate people of their pets, as is the HSUS goal "total animal liberation", which means NO PETS! I love my animals to death, and cannot stand to see groups which claim to be animal-lovers, working for the erradication of my pets.

I gather a few things from this proposal

Its either a

1.) "Feel-good" law, which will not live up to your expectations or promises.

2.) Money-generating scheme for some, while further taxing the hard working members who will be forced to enforce a bogus law, as well as hurting us responsible animal owners.

3.) A front. A brilliantly designed propaganda machine led by myths, and false pretenses, used to strip dog-owners of their right to own an animal.

Either way, nothing good will come of this proposal for the county, and others will benefit at the expense of us citizens.

Please reconsider, and for all members, please write them with your thoughts. This is a domino effect, when laws such as this pass in one place, others take notice, and do the same. Today its Spalding, tomarrow it may be Winchester, Topeka, San Antonio, YOUR TOWN!

Marty, Riptora, catcher T and 2 others like this.
  2. simms

simms CH Dog

Yup, they are working 24/7 . No rest No relaxation....Working like a machine. Good Post 14 Rock.

3. Marty

Marty Guest

Yes , Please help if you can, I have some Very good freinds that lives in that county :)

And it hitting pretty close to home :(

1 person likes this.
  4. Suki

Suki Guest

Tx for this, 14rock. ...and you're right, it's a ripple effect....

time to get busy...

5. debodebo

debodebo Top Dog

Yep, It is time to get busy.

6. Attila

Attila Guest

Great post my friend. Keep up the good work. Your a good young man. Thanks.

7. truegames

truegames Big Dog

It sure is Im going to get the ol lady to send them a letter for me.

1 person likes this.
  8. Attila

Attila Guest

I gave you rep points for such a fine post. Thanks bro

9. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

it sounds like the usual $-reaper that the local and state politicians come up with. like was said,,it's costing everybody, but somebody is on the other side collecting the whole time. i'd like to think i would be untouched by anything of the sorts, but know better. hell, i was out house-sitting at my sister-in-laws and the local humane soc. or whatever they were (the pet-police i guess, or whatever) but they were asking about all the animals on the premises and for their rabies vaccination papers, as well as taking notes as to what animals were there. i had one of my dogs with me and they already had noted that they had three dogs there before they got to the door. the neighbors had either told them what we had there, or had been told to come there. either way, it was a reality check for me. thinking i was just one person in a neighborhood with a pit on the end of my leash instead of a retreiver, but soon got pointed out by the others. hell, i was just there for two days. but they kept askin about the rabis thing til i gave them the tags, then they hounded us about the one dog they saw w/o papers and said we had until so'n'so day to get them vaccinated. it's crazy how they can find b.s. ways to get in your business.

10. cemoreno

cemoreno Top Dog

Great post! Those guys will be hearing from me. Sad stuff truely......Let's be responible here ppl.

11. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

I've never bred nor have I bought a dog from a breeder, but I'm against madatory spay/nuter for many of the reasons already stated. When I get my next dog I intend to show him (will probably be a male) and you can't do so with a nutered dog. Further more, I'd bet that the law won't consider AADR "legit" and will only excuse AKC dogs.

12. Marty

Marty Guest

I'll give reps to everyone that sends in letters, enjoy em 33mta3 ;)

13. Im new here but I've been around the dog game a long while and really am thankful that you guy's keep up with this stuff!
    Great info, and I think I'll send some letters too! Thanks

Marty likes this.
  14. Attila

Attila Guest

I will be calling these people in the morning. I reckon they are the ones that pushed this ordinance.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif]Heidi Pollyea 404.292.5154
    Pam Cheatham 770.760.7925
    Laurie June Danehy 678.789.6938
    Donna Prior 706.818.0144
    Lindsay Rust 404.538.1324
    [/font]

I will also send letters and call those on 33mta3's list as well

<TABLE id=AutoNumber6 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#bbb140 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 border=2><TBODY><TR><TD width="50%" bgColor=#6f5800>
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]DISTRICT[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif] 1[/font]
    </TD><TD width="50%" bgColor=#6f5800>
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]DISTRICT[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif] 2[/font]
    </TD></TR><TR><TD width="50%">
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]Gwen Flowers-Taylor*
    134 Spalding Street
    Griffin, Georgia 30223
    770-467-9511 (home)
    *Thank for her support.
    [/font]
    </TD><TD vAlign=top width="50%">
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]Cecil L. Davis
    118 Runnymede Road
    Griffin, Georgia 30224
    770-229-1834 (home)
    [/font]
    </TD></TR><TR><TD width="50%" bgColor=#6f5800>
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]DISTRICT[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif] 3[/font]
    </TD><TD width="50%" bgColor=#6f5800>
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]DISTRICT[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif] 4[/font]
    </TD></TR><TR><TD width="50%">
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]Johnie A. McDaniel
    1603 Beville Drive
    Griffin, Georgia 30224
    770-228-0951 (home)
    [/font]
    </TD><TD width="50%">
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]Eddie L. Freeman
    1756 West Ellis Road
    Griffin, Georgia 30223
    770-228-2815 (home)
    [/font]
    </TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" bgColor=#6f5800 colSpan=2>
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]DISTRICT[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif] 5[/font]
    </TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" colSpan=2>
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]Edward (Eddie) Goss
    105 Parham Road
    Griffin, Georgia 30223
    [/font]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Can yo get me the Mayor of that towns contact information too and the JP's and Aldermen (commitymen) what ever they are called there?

Thanks,

William

15. Marty

Marty Guest

16. Suki

Suki Guest

I will write to these people as well, tho, it seems like they are hoping for letters before their next meeting=12/04, so, in the mean time I will write some "comments" here, so they will be reached by tomorrow:
    info@spayspalding.com

interesting, that they "tell" you what to say...:rolleyes:
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]Here is a recap of what to say:[/font]

1. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]If applicable, state that you're a resident of Spalding County and if applicable, state that you're in that Commissioner's District.[/font]
    2. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]State that you support a spay/neuter initiative.[/font]
    3. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]State that you support a ban on chaining. (If you do not yet know all the reasons why this is recommended, here is a link:
      http://www.spayspalding.com/questions.htm#restraining
      [/font]
    4. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]State that you'd like to see a committee look at revamping the entire animal control ordinance and procedures.[/font]
    5. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san serif]If applicable, state that you'd like to be considered to be on the committee (Spalding residents only).[/font]
    Good luck Georgia!

17. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Oh jeez!!!!!!! This should come to no surprise as the top two are very active DDB reps. I am writing as we speak...:mad:

18. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

:::sigh ::: when will the ARs ever mind thier own business? We just had a mandatory spay neuter/chaining war on one of the BSL lists. I will be writing a letter in the morning when my head is a bit more "clear" lol

19. Attila

Attila Guest

Yes they should have been spayed and/or culled long ago.

20. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

I sent in comments for today - and will follow up with letters.