1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Rabbit Meat Diets

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Buck E. Owens, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

oh ok i gotcha

2. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Processing a couple rabbits.............[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFrnV4JEOEU[/ame]

3. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

i have 1 conibear trap and its rabbit size, to small for a coon or fox, I will build the box and try it before saying it works tho......:o

4. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-boHsDgd7dA&NR=1[/ame]

5. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

The two Doe's are pulling out there belly hair and making a nest today! so they should be born this weekend or Monday, keep you posted on how many we get, i was told anywhere from 8-9 a litter, normally....we will see!

6. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

good luck with it. hope they yield some fat and healthy offspring

7. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

so ru gonna kill the babys too? or wait till they put on weight?

8. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

when the young ones are 12weeks old there as big as they get, till they mature, (Hank, my stud male's @10lbs. "mature")

but i will only be keeping them till 12 weeks old(5-6lbs), then feeding to the dogs. pretty much a source for fresh trip and organs, to go with a full order of beef they get from the butchers. i get tripe, but depending on the day i get there how fresh it is....

some pic's of the two that are due,
    http://pbckt.com/sp.8dR

and the pile she made outside here nest box, i was told wait till she has them then place the nest in the box after she has all of the litter. i gave a nest box 3 days early as your suppose too, but they pooped all in them, so you put nest bix in as they start pulling there belly hair out, hole things a learning process still, for me and the new mothers to be, this is there first litter too being approx. 6 mos old.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2010
  9. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

buck im thinkin about doin the chicken thing
    i just picked up a book yesterday
    think that would sace a lot more than rabbits

10. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

might do the trick i was suggested, i start with Chickens too, but did the rabbit thing, i'v only spent about $12 on pellets for a 40 lb bag of pellets so far, and chickens your still waiting for the meat to grow also, i can get meat with fat anywhere, its the keep meat and fresh tripe and organs i'm after more,

Chicken is great tho!!! i would if i had the time and energy to do a third animal project, but the butchers seem to have ample supply of beef and ,tripe an organs too, but are seeing faqttier dogs, so the leaner meat should help a bit,

start a thread on the Chicken project, would love to watch and follow the progress, see what i would take to get started, I've had birds here before and they died, so i been hesitate. i leave the bird raising to my dad, he has better luck with them, how many you raising, and how big a shed/enclosure? we raised Game birds and white rocks(meat birds)

11. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

12. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

13. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Seen this! when looking up chicken set ups:D:D must have an all round good feed tho i would imagine...
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

14. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

lmao at the pic!

Good luck with your first litter, we lost our first. She gave birth at night outside her nestbox, babies were spread out all over the cage & were dead by the time we checked on them.

15. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

so whats the best way to place in the nest box, without abandonment issues, i have the one about to give birth out of the nest box :rolleyes: just gloves and clean hands? or that a no, no?

16. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Grey one had her litter this morning, and the brown ones still thinking about it!:D

only problems , she had them out of the nest box, any tips to place them in without her abandoning them, any tips are most welcome!!!!
    :o:o

17. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

so we got 5 ,live, lil rabbits on Day 2 from the (Grey one), :)

other Doe(Brown one) didn't seem to take! so will be re-bred next Sunday. Just in case she does end up having a litter(Brown one).

18. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

Congrats!!! I don't have any advice on the newborns & nest boxes, I haven't had enough success there to give out advice. I am however an expert on feeding, watering, and cleaning cages lol.

19. Ctnz

Ctnz Pup

congrats on the rabbits and thanks for keeping us posted. regarding the rabbit that didn't take- do you have to wait for a period cycle or can you breed them any time?

I would love to do this later down the line when I have more free time and money.

20. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

brown one had 5 last night too!:)

again outside the nest box, and she attacks you if you try to touch them,(to put in the box like i did the other one) so put a ton of straw in too keep them happy and warm!

I'll get some pics of them, when they have some fur!