1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Rabbit Meat Diets

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Buck E. Owens, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Super Sport

Super Sport Big Dog

Alright what's the latest on this? Run into any problems.

2. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

pink eye in the does i bought was only issue so far, culled them feed to dogs, took feet and heads off, KERAPLEX for Catle pink eye solution is crap , didnt work at all, got one of my does catch it , culled it, but up to 12 litters a month now, and average 9 a litter....but buddy that sold me the pink eyed does, is getting two new ones brought up, to replace the garbage ones...dont got computer as they crashed, from being plugged in generator. so only ot cell phone now!

were getting 6 lbs feeders, and feed half rabbit and each a day and fish, these days have to find new butcher, old ones to far of a drive!

but looking in to building another couple cages, need 20 does a month having litters to feed 10 dogs a month , with evtrat for when does need break. have enought to house & does with litters, so , cant breed all does i have till i do!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2010
  3. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

damn, got quite the operation up there. lol do work buck

4. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

lmao all i wanna kno is do u think its worth the hassle?

5. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

Since i see you are also considering squirrel , another type of rodent you can raise is rats , very prolific
    but they are so smart and sweet you may have a hard time using as feed.

6. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Worth it yes, i dont need freezers, i dont buy dog food so kibbles only around for if i run short of rabbits, and they get the freshes meat i can provide them, and dogs wouldnt have it anyother way, go 5 or 6mos. old gyp, that prefers meat to kibble, same as the rest of them!, so if i had meat birds too, i would have complete diet raised allone by me! And rats are not something id rais personally save that for the snake folks lol! And like some has said before, half a rabbit a day each dog, with the odd egg, or cottage cheese, or any other fat source would be fine to add, i got a chicken farmer in my new town too, so livers hearts and guts are free, i got a sports licnse for fishin up here this week too, allows you to keep 30panfish a day too, but only get out after work the odd night these days so fish only 2 times a week now, beteer than before feeding salted or canned fish, but as yah learn yah can addapt to what suits your life style, i alwaus have butchered my own stock and meat, so it works for me!

7. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

I once saw a wild life movie some guy researched what a wolf pack mostly ate
    It was mice, he was surprised and it proved how beneficial wolves actual are . this discovery mite have be a specific location for this bunch of wolves , So just the same don’t under estimate Rats (domestic ones )

8. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

ah ha, no wonder this dude i know raises them, always wondered what was up with that

9. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

Another thing is even the smallest rats are not that small especially the males get huge
    There is another species of domestic as big as a cat, once saw it. If a Rat with no hair is what you want Yes there is a hair less rat (Zero Hair ) The best part is they can eat just about any thing Meat Veg Dog food Kibble so you can fine tune there diet for your dogs best results. Any way they can have a litter each 30 days and are social..

10. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

The film Never Cry Wolf, inspired by Farley Mowatt's novel, begins with some reminiscing by a young scientist (i.e., Tyler) about his travels to the Arctic <ST1:p</ST1:pto demonstrate that wolves had been preying on the caribou population. For years, we are told, the caribou population had been slowly and consistently decreasing, and the accepted view was that wolves were responsible. Unfortunately, definitive data did not exist in support of what everyone already knew and <ST1:pTyler</ST1:p had been asked (told) by his mentor to provide the necessary evidence to support a plan for reducing the wolf population. <O:p</O:p
    He concludes that wolves do not eat caribou, they eat mice. If wolves occasionally do eat caribou, it is good for the caribou, who ought to like it. ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2010
  11. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

<LI class="Box3 answer " id=ans55963 itxtvisited="1">The largest rats in the world are the African giant pouched rats. In general, they have a mass of 1 to 1.47 kg (2.2 to 3.23 lbs), and grow to a length of 65 to 91 cm (25.39 to 35.83 in).

Most people are familiar with Norway rats; they generally weigh between 10 and 18 ounces and can grow up to 18 inches (a 2-ft. Norway rat, or domestic rat, would be a monster!). The biggest Norway rat ever caught in a city -- or at least the biggest on record -- was a 2.4 pound giant, caught by Brian Plummer in London.
    Comments

<FORM class=FLC id=comment_on_55963 style="DISPLAY: none" action=/comment/ method=post><TEXTAREA class=inputText style="WIDTH: 100%; HEIGHT: 36px" onfocus="if (this.value=='Add a comment...') this.value=''; this.style.height='100px';" name=comment>Add a comment...</TEXTAREA>
    <INPUT type=hidden value=55963 name=a> <INPUT type=hidden value=9508 name=q> <INPUT class="Button1a submit" type=submit value="Add Comment" name=""> </FORM>
    2 comments | Post one | Permalink

<LI class="Box3 answer " id=ans566748 itxtvisited="1">by energy1 on March 23rd, 2007
    [​IMG]

Here is a Detroit Michigan rat. [​IMG]

Comments

• Where did this photo come from...I'm having trouble verifying it.
      If it's real, THAT may well be the largest Rattus Norvegicus on record.[​IMG] by outerdirkness on June 2nd, 2007
    • That looks like one the rats that feed off the grain barges. I've heard that they are as big as raccoons like that one.[​IMG] by Long Shot on July 16th, 2008
    <FORM class=FLC id=comment_on_566748 style="DISPLAY: none" action=/comment/ method=post><TEXTAREA class=inputText style="WIDTH: 100%; HEIGHT: 36px" onfocus="if (this.value=='Add a comment...') this.value=''; this.style.height='100px';" name=comment>Add a comment...</TEXTAREA>
    <INPUT type=hidden value=566748 name=a> <INPUT type=hidden value=9508 name=q> <INPUT class="Button1a submit" type=submit value="Add Comment" name=""> </FORM>
    2 comments | Post one | Permalink

Read more: How big is the largest rat? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/9508#ixzz0qM3WdhQC

12. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

I don’t have time but some body out there has the large domestic <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]Norway </ST1:p</st1:country-region>or sewer rats , I did see once as a pet , read some thing about a license to have one?

13. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

picture 148 dude - I mean DUDE you feed them the white one - come to think of it they used to have the rat pits for the bull terrier
    I believe if PB owners all fed there dog rabbits it will make it into the news papers
    feed um rats that's more social to people, shit feeding rabbits is a kin to Cats!! to most people
    How does this sound ? I fed my APBT Rabbits -- Let me show you some pictures this when they were babys ,look now its big ,
    sorry for the postponed response.

14. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

what , you see them as pets dont feed them???? i feed them and see no issues, there meat rabbits?

rabbits kin to cats, fuck get your head out of the books and in the real world man, bogs eat meat......

rats are full of disease and most ly die of cancer and tumars, not real good freed for dogs i figure, rather feed healthy , highly reprodutive animals, that repopulate at fast rates and yeild worthy meat for there diets, in other words no rats mice or squirels, if they catch one and eat it no biggie, but not raising mice.

15. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

My problem with rats is we raised them to feed to the snake so they were off limits to the dogs & when one got loose I had a dog catch it for me but he wouldn't eat it lol. Beside that, they are way too small, and require too much time and care to feed a yard of dogs; one dog would be ok though.

16. Buck you have realy motivated me to give this a try, Thanks to you and all members of this great forum.

I am really interested in doing something like this and would like your opinion on my plans thus far. I only need to feed 1 dog half a rabbit a day. so here is my math so far if i missed something or you see a way to improve please share.

I would need 2 litters of 8 per month. Breeding doe A on Nov1, i'd have to wait 30days, to kindle, ween litter at 6 weeks and 1 week of rest. that gives me a rebreed date of Jan 18th. which means I would need a total of 6 does. I'm thinking of half new zealand and half Californian doe and one of each bucks for a total of 8. If the litters are go into their own cage when weaned @6 weeks and begin culling 4 weeks later and it takes 2 weeks to cull all 8. How many cages do i need for the litters? from time the litter is moved into litter cage till the cage is empty is 6weeks.

17. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

i built a 4' wide X 8' long feeder cage for all weaned young and un bred does, had, 6 bred doe cages, big enough for 1 litter and a doe each till weaned, and a seprate cage for the buck, that way i could have 6 does having litters at one time, and it takes a month or two to get started, and i wish i had of done chickens so i could of benifited more too, but once comitted and started its kinda late, and you can get hatched chicks cheaper, but they cant have medicated feed either, aand most chickens require meds the first lil bit, but if raised like they were for uman consuption , you will be safe, for you and dogs,

unless you really like eating rabbit go for chickens, rabbits are easy to raise, but there are alot of work for sure too, if youhave the time do it! ;)

18. PITS+PATTS

PITS+PATTS Big Dog

Is it safe to feed your dogs wild caught rabbits if the've got Mixy?

19. Could you explain a bit more about the work and time spent raising the rabbits? I could start raising rabbits sooner than i could raise chickens, and don't really plan on eating the rabbits. I'm thinking i have a spot for the rabbits on the outside of the garage but couldn't put chickens there. the extra space that chickens need would not make it worth raising them. My wife doesn't want to live on a "farm" and rabbits could be kept out of sight and mind for the most part.

20. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

??huh...........