1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Rat bit treatment working terriers

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by raman781, Mar 17, 2011.

1. raman781

raman781 Pup

What do you do when treating rat bits? Wash the wound and let it heal or do you give antibiotics?
    my dog has beenh bit before, I usally just wash it and its fine. This last time she was bit, it was by a huge rat. Got her on the top of her muzzle. It swelled up pretty good right after the bit.

2. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

I clean wounds with hibiclens and then fill any holes with masticlear and works like a charm everytime.

3. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

just keep it clean. don't usually bother with antibiotics

4. raman781

raman781 Pup

thanks for the info. Look like the swelling went down.

5. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

That masticlear or whatever version of mastitis cream you find works great for two reasons. 1 it works like hand lotion keeping the skin soft which promotes quicker mending times and less scarring, less scar tissue equals smaller chance of getting torn open the next time at the edge orbs hard skin joining the soft skin. Think Forest Griffins face. 2nd the masticlear or mastitis cream has a tiny % of penicillin in it, killing any of the bugs that might be in the wound. And filling the void with this stuff ( it comes in a plastic tipped syringe) keeps whatever else the terrier is gonna being laying in and or on from getting into the wound. . Probably more important when dealing with the larger deeper wounds a raccoon or woodchuck would leave. The woodchuck wounds being so jagged leaves a lot more skin surface exposed to possible infection. Its an easy and cheap way to keep the workers healthy. Happy hunting, keep em working.

6. raman781

raman781 Pup

where do you buy mastitis cream at, drug store?
    Are bumps pretty normal after rat bits?

7. tapiajr

tapiajr Banned

just keep doing what ur doing

8. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

I get my mastitis cream from TSC.