1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

raw feeding

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by powder925, Jul 7, 2010.

1. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

2. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

kibble and raw digest at different rates, if you are going to feed both they need to be atleast 12 hours apart

3. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

oh yeah I totally agree, my dog traded in his chub for muscle when I switched him (could also be because he was young) his poo was less and more consistent, no more of that god awful gas, his coat looked super shiny and got softer, great looking teeth, and more energy. Never again will I do kibble with any of my dogs. Oh and my dog was having anal gland issues that kept us going to the vet along with coat issues once I switched him to raw there were no more issues.

4. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

I used to feed kibble and raw all the time (especially when the dog was in keep) and never had a problem whatsoever! So although they may digest at different rates I don't think it is a problem to mix....it would more be a problem to the individual dog itself!

YIS

5. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

this is true there are dogs that can handle them at the same time it is just suggested to feed raw and kibble apart. It is also suggested to feed the raw at room temperature but I dont really follow that one too well :rolleyes:

6. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Yeah DD....if my meals are not already thawed out completely I let it sit in warm water for about 5 mins and feed. I still give my dogs 16-20 oz of water daily with there raw feed.

YIS

7. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

I dont mix water with the feed I just leave it out so my dog can get it when he wants but mixing in some water isnt a bad idea at all. I have some honest kitchen preference (dehydrated veggies) and you mix that up with water sometimes I put that in with the feed. If the feed isnt thawed out completely (I have everything in ziplocks) I just throw it in the sink with the warm water and come back half hour to an hour later and usually its good but thats about the only time the meet is served up warm the rest of the time it goes from the fridge to the bowl. It doesnt upset his stomach or anything so I dont see it being a big deal atleast not with my dog.

8. beanieman

beanieman Banned

According to the barf forum here in my country they say after studies that it's an wrong statement.
    They say it is ok to give kibble and raw together but do not give kibble at the same time you give bones, indeed with the digest rate.
    Before when i would give my dogs kibble i did sometimes added raw to it and never had any problems with it.
    But since the last 18 months i been given them only raw, no vitamines or other supplements just the entire animal or coming as close to it with a balanced meal of bones, organs and meat every day.
    just added sometimes some sheapsfat,

9. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

my dog couldnt even handle a raw egg with kibble made him sick...not saying you are wrong or anything. Most dogs can handle it just fine. Like pork my dog does great on it but alot of other dogs dont.

10. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Forget the egg....give a raw piece of chicken breast, beef chunks/ground beef or sardines. Your dog will love it!:cool:

YIS

11. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

Your laboratory test that you show as proof are all fabricated to cater to the dog food industry and its sales!<o></o>
    Oh yes, blame it on them...they also made you an idiot too-right? Anyone can have their food analyzed and the labs have nothing to do with the dog food manufacturers. They're providing a service of analyzing what you've sent them. Though you shouldn't ever attempt to have your diets analyzed given the dog food industry probably has people just waiting to destroy your results...plus we've all heard about your keen eyesight. You can probably just sniff a bowl and determine it's quality.

I didn't know 50-60 yrs ago was 1860....thats great math!

Commercially prepared dog food has been around since 1860, idiot. So how do you figure that is only 50-60 years? Oh, that's right like with everything else-you make it up. See how parroting what you read others type, makes you look like a fool.

My dogs diets get tested when I compete with my dogs...how about you?
    <o></o>
    Now that's funny! You've done nothing and will continue doing nothing in the dogs. Sure your experience with "working" them is much like your knowledge of nutrition-nonexistent! Of course you can't share cause it's a secret-right? Seen you posting in the pat section...you have a hunting dog, your apbt used on hogs? Will gladly put my little 16.5lb Jagd up against any dog you have. Great weather here currently for hunting, makes it real easy to see the desire and if a food is worth anything.<o>
    </o><o></o>
    You have any thirteen-year olds climbing trees?<o></o>
    Is that supposed to be impressive? Earlier this year I lost my oldest dog...over 19. <o></o>
    <o></o>
    Hey, I'm not going to put down anybody for feeding what and how they have to feed. If kibble works for your dogs, your time constraints and your budget,...more power to ya. But when a dumbassed dogfood salesman who wouldn't know shit, even if he couldn't smell it, starts preaching about how much better kibble is than chicken I really have to wonder what the fuck he's smoking,...and more importanly how can I get some. Seriously, what does he think they make dried kibble out of? Just because they use feathers, feet, beaks, innards and the rest of the processing plant leftovers to make their superior protein source, and I prefer to use backs and whole birds, does he really think that shit is so much better that what I'm feeding. Oh right...right.....they add back the vitamins that the blast furnace cooks out. I forgot<o></o>
    <o></o>A lot of talking about nothing...but since I don't have a clue. Please, by all means prove me wrong...you nor anyone else can. You can't even point out a premium kibble that uses "feathers, feet, beaks" like you falsely stated. All you whiners can do is offer useless opinions on a subject you're clueless about and when push-make up crap. Why with all that knowledge you have, aren't you refuting what I've stated with something like, FACTS? You're too stupid to understand because a diet shares an ingredient, doesn't remotely make it the same nutritionally. I've pointed out just the most elementary basics of those crappy raw diets. All you proponents in here are all clueless to even the nutrients your diet offer your dog. But, cause you see the affects of added fat in a diet...that must make it so much better.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    let me ask is it bad to feed them a mix of kibble and raw?<o></o>
    Yes, given kibble is designed to be "balanced" when you start regularly mixing in raw ingredients you of course get things out of whack. You add "chicken" for instance to the kibble meal regularly...you're decreasing the protein, increasing the calcium, throwing the omega fatty acids out, etc.<o></o>

12. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

umm...so back to the raw :rolleyes:;)

13. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

exactly...;)

14. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

thank you for agreeing dirtyD and I finally found some lamb again for my girl I was happy the other day I haven't fed any for a couple of months now :) I still need to obtain that apple cider though.

15. act284

act284 Big Dog

texasbulldogs, what premium kibble are you feeding? id love to test it with sibling pups i will be attaining soon and watch over the years for the differences it can make...

1 will be on the kibble you personally use, and 1 will be on a barf based diet

16. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

First, you are not credible. Just so we get that clear.
    Second, send me the particulars and verifiable proof on your nineteen-year old APBT and I'll consider switching my own food.
    Third, THERE IS NO PREMIUM FOOD THAT IS PERFECTLY BALANCED FOR EVERY DOG. Every single dog is different,...and so are their needs. I don't know about your dogs, but the needs of my dogs change with season, age, workload, etc. I have dogs that glow on foods that make others dry. That's what I especially love about feeding the way I do, I know precisely what is going into my dog, I can see and smell what is coming out and can adjust each ingredient to each dog's need. Even the informed kibble folks I know are able to accept and admit the simple truth that not all kibbles fit all dogs. As you've previously been asked to do, please name the miracle food you use that automatically adjusts to all dogs, all ages, all needs automatically. Hell, we all want our dogs balanced. Inform us. Do you really want to prove,...or just preach and prevaricate?
    By the way, what are you eating? I know that the manufacturers of MREs produce a portion that is "perfectly balanced" for the needs of human beings. Is that how you're eating? If not, why not? After all, aren't you willing to take care of yourself at least as well as you claim to take care of your dogs? Which premium MRE are you using? Or, are you still using that ignorant old system of eating what works for your body, lifestyle and wallet?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2010
  17. Yas

Yas Big Dog

How can adding more protein decrease protein?

18. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

was wondering how adding protein decrease's protein myself.

19. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

yes please do explain

20. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Apparently, chicken is an inferior protein source when compared to "premium kibble." This is what started this whole dumbassed discussion; his frowning upon us uninformed raw-feeders who feed garbage, such as chicken, instead of perfectly balanced, vitamin re-added "premium kibble."