1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Really Just an Amstaff?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by mfern004, Mar 27, 2010.

1. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

correct. you can even get gr ch poodles!

2. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

lol great, just adds to the confusion. I used to think whenever people spoke of ch or grch it was solely referring to the box. If thats the case then, whats the deal? i thought people here werent into show dogs? if these dogs werent meant to be show dogs then why show them? im not trying to start a war here i just dont understand that.

3. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

nah mate its not that way.
    in any breed of dogs you will get show ring gr champs. the initial reason was some people didnt want to be related to the APBT due to fighting so eventually the American Staff was developed with the help of the Colbys. they developed the amstaff to a standard and thats why a show bred amstaff will look different to a game bred APBT.
    obviously time has passed and now people show both.
    performance bred is just that, it doesnt matter wheather the dog looks stupid as long as it works. show dogs are for show and to a standard of looks they couldnt give a rats if it was able to perform.
    comparing our Australian Kelpies in the show ring compared to what a farmer would use would be chalk and cheese in looks and the show dog wouldnt work at all or have the brains to. hence why most on here are against breeding for colour ect.

personally i wouldnt show a dog unless it was working, im not interested in prancing around a ring showing how good my dog looks when it cant work for shit. alot of people do both. hope this shines a little more light on it for ya!

4. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Thanks for the post junkyard, it cleared things up for me.

5. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

no worries mate. there are a heap of people on this site that show their dogs, wheather it be for looks or in comps like weight pull. and they have some very nice dogs. i have nothing against them or showing its just not really for me.
    Not like i could show in oz anyway, They are pretty much a non recignised breeds here so they dont have any standard, and besides here i dont like advertising what dogs i have or where due to the bsl laws.
    you should have a look in the show section of the forum and see when there is a show in your area, and go have a look, and decide for yourself what you think. good way to learn and to meet people who own the same dogs.

6. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Yeah i will def take a look, honestly i wish i would have gotten into the REAL apbt a long time ago. But with the way things are nowadays it isnt easy. Where im from all you see is bullies and staff looking dogs, so thats what everyone thinks is a pitbull. im very eager to go watch some weight pulling.

7. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

its good fun and most events will have a "pet" section you would be able to give your dog a try at[when hes a lot older of course] and see if its something you would like to get into. it will blow your mind when you see such a little dog pulling so much weight.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znb-V_egHNo[/ame]

this is an older Aussie dog in training.

8. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

good stuff there. Ive been interested in weight pulling and will try to get into it when he is of age.

9. venom

venom Top Dog

More times than not, it means something other than the sport of dog fighting. You figure how popular shows are, increasing popularity of weight pull and other things such as agility, diving, and all the other things dogs compete in... the chances are a dog with CH. next to his ped is referring to one of those acitivities and not the box.

10. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

When you see a winner in a ped, for example a 3xw, is that ONLY reffered to the box?

11. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

no its all the same. 1xw or ch, it can be anything

12. venom

venom Top Dog

Honestly, who ever put that on there is not the sharpest tool in the shed if we are talking about peds on the internet. But to answer your question, I really could not say because I'm not all that familiar with dog shows and all of that. I don't know how they chalk it up and how many wins or bests in shows or w/e earn your dog certain titles. Some of them may count wins in the same fashion though... so it might not be referring to the box.

13. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Ill be honest, im not interested in show dogs at all. I feel people who breed show dogs are ruining a lot of breeds. For example the doberman and german shepherd, the show and work variation are years apart in difference. With that being said how do you go about looking for a dog if theres so many pretty peds out there but all the titles you see in the ped could be from show?

14. venom

venom Top Dog

buy dogs from people you personally know, this is why they say the dog does not make the pedigree lol. Even if those titles and achievments on those peds mean what you think they do... there's no gaurentee today, that those are legitament. If you don't know anyone first hand who is into dogs like that then try to make some friends or contacts that are. The best way to do it is get em from people you know and trust... and if they are good folks then they will have to know and trust you to let you get one. But for starters, there are plenty of famous breeders out there who put alot of litters on the ground with nice peds that you might be looking for... they just cost a pretty penny.

15. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Yeah i like the eli blood and i know carolina game dogs has them, thats the closest i know of around my way. Im not even interested in getting another dog until YEARS from now and a lot of learning. Just trying to learn as much as possible so i get what i want.