1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Reason for hog hunting

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BamaBoy, Feb 5, 2007.

1. BamaBoy

BamaBoy Big Dog

2. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

I doubt the hog killed it, probably scavageing.

Its not really a problem for most professional farmers, because they have livestock and crop insurance, and the loses are writen off. I have heard stories of farmers loosing 5-10 acres and claiming 100-500acre in loss. The Insurance companies are the ones squeling, and when it hurts them enough, you will see some serious lobbying for Wild and Ferel hog eradication.

I hope the SOB's take the woods over, and they put a bounty on them, like they used to coyote and beavers.

3. Suki

Suki Guest

oooooeeeee, poor calves, ...:(

4. Breogan

Breogan Big Dog

Three legged hog. Strange, I know they're tough but I wouldn't think it would've survived the loss of a leg (Blood loss, infection and all that) or living with three legs. Must have been a real mean bastard. Wonder how he lost the leg. Trap maybe? But then again what would I know about hogs.

5. if he got cought in a trap do you think he bit his own leg off.

6. Attila

Attila Guest

Many animals survive trama. I have shot three legged deer and coon. Who knows how they lost the leg but they tend to survive. Could have been shot off, chewed off by the pack or another predator, trap what ever. The syliva has enzymes and when they lick the wound it tends to heal as a result of them keeping it clean themselves. I suppose a lesson to self if you're ever out in the wild and loss a limb. You either can do it and stomach it or die. I think I could get over any thought of gross and go with saving my self. I am not a micro surgion so saving the limb isn't much of an option. You can turnicate it and coterize it. Even then infection can set in. I suppose your survival skills and will to live will have to take over and squeemish thoughts will have to go to the way side. The reasons an animal could loose a leg are endless and speculation will be only such.

7. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

I dont know I have seen them eat fawn deer and me being a QDM premoter pisses me off every time I see them catch a fawn. They will catch and kill anything they can If they think it will make a meal. They are very oppportunist when it comes to food. And dont think they wont eat you. Ive hunted them every way you can think of from airboat to night dog hunts to Just driving up and shooting every one I can out the window(like I did saturday night, got 4 I might add. Just for old Grizz) and Ive seen all kinds of crap in the inside of them even chickens. Yis J

8. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

Hmm I guess when I got shot up with a rifle maybe I should've spit all over the wounds lol.

9. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

ya know that ol boar could have killed it.they are nasty creatures and i don't trust em for one minute.i have seen them attack full grown cattle and diffrent wild animals from deer if they get the chance up to other hogs.i was out hunting back in 1984 here in Texas i was up on a water tower over at a friend of mines ranch where he was having problems,and we were sitting there and some hogs started coming in to the bait we set up and all of a sudden one of the boars attacked a sow.so we was watching them and they fought for about 10-15 minutes and anyways he killed that sow and then started to eat on her.so i sure wouldn't put it past that hog to kill the calf even with 3 legs.wich i am betting he lost to either a trap or another hog.

10. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Who breeds good scent hounds for hog doggin?
    some of the best places in your opinion to get 2 or 3 baydogs, or breeds or breeders to look for?

Thanks in advance guys and gals!
    ;)

11. SUMTER COUNTY FLORIDA BUCK OH and you have to hunt to find them too ask around about the country boys HOG DOGZ or fitzgarald GA Look up R. Fitzgarald its the only town in GA named that and it is named after his family they own a big hunting camp there hope this helps. If you can find them i can but try first please

12. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Thanks Eh, I was pricing around yesterday for tracking collars(around $700-800) and the new style vests(approx.$160).

I Have that pig pen I wanted filed this year. never got the hogs yet tho, 5' Chain-linked pasture and lean-too barn for shelter, For my trainer pigs.

I had a pig feeder holds 2 feed bags of feed, like two rabbit feeders back to back. all still in good condition from way back when, finally got the old Farm/Hunting Camp homestead set up, I wanted!

I have seen a guy breed a Grey hound/APBT, to get the ultimate lurcher/rear hog dog. Good for coyotes and hogs, he said. said fast as hell strong rear ends too muscle wise and no fear.

but mountain cur hounds, and many other breeds used.

13. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

Them wild hogs can be a real problem
    they are real beast ready to kill
    gotta be carefull out there
    cause they aint scared
    get some good bayers
    and a good catcher
    and go to work

the babbies is some mean little basterds

14. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

15. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

16. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

I got a buddy with one of those on right now
    but they call it a ankle bracelet
    hahaha

17. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

that's rough!

18. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

Black and Tans make good hog dogs also

[​IMG]

19. cheese

cheese Top Dog

Wow:eek: What did that thing weigh?

20. Muttkip

Muttkip Big Dog

Catahoulas and Redbones make amazing bay dogs and breeds like the APBT, American Bulldog, and Dogo's are great hog-catching dogs as well (:!

My buddy uses a little pack of about 3-4 Beagles for bay dogs......but I wouldn't really recommend a rabbit dog for the sport. And Blueticks are great bay-dogs as well.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">