1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Rhino Dogs

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by diva, Sep 4, 2007.

1. diva

diva CH Dog

Does anyone know anything on the Rhino dogs? Do any of you have them? If so, how are they working out for you?

There is a kennel that attends some of the shows that I attend. Every time they ask what bloodline Asia is and I say OFRN, they start talking about their old family red rhino dogs. So, I am now curious as to whether any of you have heard of them and what all I can find out about them. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Searcy Jeff

Searcy Jeff Top Dog

No such thing as an Old Family Red Rhino dog.

The only Rhino dogs that I can find is down from Mountain Man's yard. I think Rhino is the kennel name or owner/breeder. The other Rhino that I could find was from CJ's studfarm. I believe he used this dog for catchwork.

3. Old Family Reds

Some would say that OFRN is not a bloodline but a foundation breed like Blue Paulies etc., the bloodlines that stem from OFR would be per example; Lightner, Creed, Clouse, Wilder,Hemphill, Wallace, Corvino, Neblett, Ironline etc etc,,...So when told that a dog is OFR I ask what strain ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007
  4. Searcy Jeff

Searcy Jeff Top Dog

Re: Old Family Reds

OFRN isn't a foundation breed. If that's the case, OFRN are a different breed of APBT's. There is no such thing as a different breed of APBT's, only different strains.

5. Re: Old Family Reds

Old Family Red is what Irish breeders would call there imported dogs from the old land. Lightner got he's strain from ancestors from pre-civil war times. I din't sayI totally agreed. But when some one says: "my dog is OFRN" what is he really saying ? We know that many bloodlines come from the OFRN strain per example; Tombstone 3/4 OFRN.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007
  6. Searcy Jeff

Searcy Jeff Top Dog

I simply corrected you on the subject of OFRN as being a "foundation breed." Heck, its not just Tombstone that came down from OFRN. Many modern APBTs has OFRN somewhere in its ancestory.

7. Like I said some would say: "Old family Red were a foundation breed". I din't say I agreed. No one really knows what the Irish OFR strains consisted of.

"wish I had quizzed Lightner about the later dogs, but I surmised that they had been a blend of his old strain with some other quality line, and the rumor was that it consisted primarily of Colby dogs. But we are concerned with the early dogs here, as that was what produced the Old Family Red Nose strain. R.S. Touched By Fire"

"Old strain, Quality line, & Colby" ?

My opionion Old Family Reds was an Apbt strain. Apbt's have been a breed years before 1898 that's for sure. Corcoran, Lightner, Corbett were primarlyresponsible for keeping the strain pure. I think it was Corcoran that imported Old Family Reds from Ireland.

8. Searcy Jeff

Searcy Jeff Top Dog

Stratton was talking about the latter day Lightner dogs. The dark colored/nose ones he came up with after he moved out to Colorado.

As I said before, they are an APBT strain, not a breed within the APBT.

Con Feeley's dogs were considered one of the origins of OFRN as well.

9. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

10. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

11. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

Re: Old Family Reds

If you can recall, people didnt want to breed to Tombstone and were hating on him because of his breeding.

12. diva

diva CH Dog

13. Searcy Jeff

Searcy Jeff Top Dog

Hemphill and McCoy dogs are too far back to mean anything.

14. diva

diva CH Dog

That's what I was thinking....
    I'm thinking that this kennel I spoke of in my original post has been misinformed. So, maybe these Rhino dogs originated from OFRN strains,but it appears they've been crossed over the years with other lines.

15. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Come to Tennessee and talk to Mr. M.Cross himself... He sometimes jugdes the fun show in Milton, TN. He's got some good dogs. I've herd he doesn't like to be contacted by people he doesn't know.

16. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

my boy Madden is everything i could ask for in a dog and i want some more of it mainly for my bigger weight pull dogs. When i say bigger i don't mean 100 lbs i mean 55-70lb range which is bigger than any of the rest of what i will breed will ever be but thanks for the info

17. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I've seen Madden in action. He is quite impressive, and a good-looking dog as well...Did that guy who had Gretchen ever come back to any of the weight pullers? she was an awesome dogs as well.

18. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

Gretchen & his owner are still M.I.A. as far as I know, which really sucks. We were going to breed Madden to her and that would have been some great weight pullers

19. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

Re: Rhino Dogs/Cross

Oh no, the secret's out! Are you actually trying to say that you're preferred bloodline are game dogs?