1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

rock dust?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by wheezie, Nov 30, 2010.

1. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

what exactly is rock dust made of? i have called every gravel and quarry within a 50 mile radius and non of them have heard of it. When i explained to them that i wanted to use it to keep the mud down for the dogs they said the only thing they had was lime stone.

2. supertank

supertank Big Dog

Rocks:D we call it crusher dust here I think people used it to add minerals back into their gardens. Its the dust left behind from crushing rocks at a quarry.

3. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

lol i know its a pretty dumb question. When i asked them at quarry they said they didint have it. how fine is the dust?

4. spliff

spliff Big Dog

its pretty fine,almost like sand.it dose work great i have been using it for a couple years now and it really helps with the mud issue.makes for easy clean up as well.around here it gos for $33 a yard which is like 2 tons

5. supertank

supertank Big Dog

It can be as fine as powder but what you need it for coarser stuff should work. Sounds like they might let you sweep some up if they dont sell it. :)

6. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

Its called blue dust gravel. i use it on my yard and its also used by TG kennels

7. n2bulldogs

n2bulldogs Banned

Here the quarry calls it "screening/s" I think because it's the smallest bits filtered out through a screen :confused:
    It's good stuff- sets up nice and hard-not dusty or muddy

8. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

correct! its also called screenings

9. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

10. CaesarIsis

CaesarIsis Top Dog

11. fblb

fblb Top Dog

I've been pretty happy with my own special blend of mud, dog shit, twigs, leaves, decomposed plywood, and any worms that might fall out of the dog.

12. fblb

fblb Top Dog

Heard of? Hell, I've seen pictures...just trying to stay with the times, and up my game a little.

13. quinny

quinny Big Dog

Daves gardens... $79 a cubic mtr. Doesn't sound right does it?

14. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

At the quarry next door they call it lime dust.

15. chef_kergin

chef_kergin Big Dog

i tried sand for half a year (spring - fall) and it mounded way to much where the axle was buried. raked that shit up and went with rock dust, still had terrible mounding problems. raked it up, and have left it dirt. the only place i left some sand is on the outer edge where they dig trenches from running the edge of their chains. it helps keep the nails short and smooth. i still have to rake it back to the edge once a week.

raking shit is more of a headache on dirt as opposed to sand or rock dust, but foregoing the additional materials in your chainspot has its advantages.

one guy i talked to didn't recommend it since my axles were buried. he didn't like the wear and tear it'd give over time. and let me tell you, after 6 months with sand in one spot, i had to dig up the axle and put new chain on because there was VISIBLE wear on the chain and i started with a quality product.

unless you are in a part of the country that is soaked over much of the year and mud is an ongoing issue for you, i'd pass on it. we still have rockdust in the kennel off the garage, and it holds water like a bitch in the winter. dog shit freezes to it so fast and you have to chip it off.

jmo.

16. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

something to think about, good post chef
    keep it comin guys... and gals:D

17. CaesarIsis

CaesarIsis Top Dog

even though it holds water, does it keep the surface dry though?

18. chef_kergin

chef_kergin Big Dog

when it drains it keeps the mud to a minimum.