1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Salt and Lime for chain spots

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by act284, Dec 1, 2011.

1. act284

act284 Big Dog

In an effort to combat fleas and other pests, I am searching for proper salt and lime for chain spots.

Can I use calcium chloride salt for chain spot instead of the usual Sodium Chloride Rock salt?

Also, what type of lime would be good for the chain spot? I am having trouble locating Agriculutral lime but can find Type-S lime easily. Will this work and be safe?

Thanks!

2. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

If you know what the proper salt and lime is why are you asking about substitutes? Google them and answer your own questions. Doesnt California have a lot of agricultural land? If so Ag Lime shouldnt be that hard to find.

3. act284

act284 Big Dog

it's tough finding a lot of that stuff in Los Angeles...I'd love to know if their are acceptable alternatives instead of driving 1.5 hrs for a $5 bag of salt and ag-lime

4. doubletap

doubletap Banned

aint lime a corrosive??if it is.....surely a dog being on it a good deal of time aint the best idea???

5. doubletap

doubletap Banned

im not sure if there is different types of lime,but i know of a dog that fell into a huge container transporting lime powder down on the docks when i was a kid,when the deck hands got the dog out its hair was falling off in clumps.damn near baldy and red raw!!!

6. doubletap

doubletap Banned

would it not be better to just treat them when you know is the time??are they on a chain spot already and whats the ground like?

7. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Remove the dog from the chainspot and liberally lime the ground, after an hour or two wash it into the soil, let it dry for a half hour and liberally salt the ground, simple sells.

NGK

8. doubletap

doubletap Banned

what does the salt do NGK??

9. NGK

NGK Top Dog

It stops the molting process in fleas, meaning that they do not form an exoskeleton and die before adulthood, basically it stops the breeding process.

NGK

10. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

what kind of salt do u put down ngk

11. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Standard rock salt used to melt ice.

NGK

12. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

that doesn't hurt the dogs if they injest it?

13. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Too much of any kind of salt can hurt dogs if ingested, its a 6 of one half dozen of the other scenario, if the fleas are bad enough I would take that chance. Most dogs wont drink salt water so most wont eat the salt, I myself have never had a problem from useing this method.

NGK

14. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

Well I have never had a problem with fleas but a little knowledge goes a long ways sometimes. Thanks for filling me in.

15. NGK

NGK Top Dog

No problem, the one time I had a bad flea problem this method worked well for us, if you were concerned about the type of salt you could always use houshold salt its just 25x the cost. I moved onto a farm years ago right into the worst flea infestation I have ever seen and was able to control and exterminate the problem 1st with the method mentioned above 2nd with biodegradeable flea sprays recomended to me by a dairy farmer.

NGK

16. skratchr81

skratchr81 Big Dog

what were the names of those sprays ngk?

17. NGK

NGK Top Dog

I don't remember the name of the spray I used but I would assume that most dairy farmers could steer you in the right direction. I do remember that it was an oil based spray that turned milky when mixed with water and it smelled kinda like peanuts. I figured if they could spray it in and around Dairy plants then it must be ok for the dogs as well and had no ill side effects that I saw. I am in Canada so I don't know what the American standards are for this type of thing.

NGK

18. skratchr81

skratchr81 Big Dog

ive tried finding biodegradable sprays to no avail. havent checked with any dairy farmers though. thanks for the info

19. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Any time, its all for the good of the breed :)

NGK

20. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Let me add one thing to all this, Most times you need a hazmat card to purchase any industrial spray so unless you have a personal relationship with the dairy farmer you may not beable to purchase the spray. I knew the farmer personally and used to buy c grade beef (old dairy cows) which were fed out to my dogs.

NGK