1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Screw your raw food, screw your high dollar kibble!

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by treezpitz, Apr 28, 2016.

1. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

frogs, there is no dilemma or situation. I may have used improper words in my original post. It's not that I couldn't afford Victor anymore, I'm choosing to look for other possible options. There's a lot more to properly raising animals than just expensive food like I'm taking it you suggest. I don't feed the cheapest Victor formula so I'm going to look into that like I've stated above. I'll probably stick to Victor, I really like their feed.

Don't worry about how many dogs. How am I supposed to know anyway? lol

To comment to your point about raising animals/hunting, I'm exploring those options currently. I hope to be doing that soon enough.

Whenever I decide which feed to switch to I'll make sure to run it past you to see if you are satisfied with my choice.

So, frogs, can you contribute to this thread and make a dog food suggestion???

Since you do have dogs, right????

2. frogs

frogs Big Dog

Look man you've been in these dogs and on these forums long enough to know all you're gonna hear is:

Diamonds
    TOTW
    Victor
    Blue
    Costco
    TSC...blah blah blah...

I was just trying to think out of the box for you...

So here is my last suggestion for your sarcastic, defensive ass...

Table scraps
    Left overs
    Ol' Roy
    Lots of cheap eggs
    Vegetable oil
    Garden Veggies
    and some good old food grade bone meal...

Best of luck to ya brother.

3. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

I am located where there are a lot of hunting and working dogs and kennels. I had several people tell me go down to the feed store, some of the best bulk feed I have ever feed ! Just about all the hunting and tracking dogs in my area use it! 200 lbs. I'm paying around A $1.00 A lb. try searching your local feed store/ co op. look at the protein source and ingredients! I also supplement horse in the winter when my yard was big. Or mackerel like the article the other day!

4. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Try the Retriever from TSC, the blue bag though!

devonte151 likes this.
  5. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Man I tried my local feed stores and all that shit was garbage.Black Gold ,Gold Select,Red Flannel and a couple others I can't recall,all garbage.We finally got a Tractor Supply here and I had been hearing about Diamond for a while and a few other feeds and I will say that Diamond is some good feed.All my dogs do well and look well on it.Now some of you others may have better luck at your local feed stores as they may have better quality.Where I live ,all that shit is garbage .Tractor Supply prob not the best source for dog food but where I live you can't beat it.I mean I Could get Science Diet before we got a Tractor Supply but my dogs shit just as much on that as any of the cheaper brands.

6. I use diamond too. They shit less on it 39 dollars for 40 bag ant bad in mybook

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

7. treezpitz

TROT, Cajun - Thanks for the posts.

I know some people that feed that retriever hi energy to their larger yards and their dogs always look and act great. I may have to try that one day in the future. I"m thinking I'll be able to stay with Victor but just a cheaper formula. If not, I think my first step will be to check out the other feed stores and see what brands they have.

8. treezpitz

frogs, you jumped on this thread stating that I wouldn't be feeding the dogs properly because I am considering switching foods. If you expected anything else from me then to get defensive then you obviously don't know shit about me or the way I care for these animals. I can promise these animals get cared for better than your make believe animals. Even getting fed a bargain formula from Victor. And if you would have read the thread you would have seen that I said to keep your high dollar suggestions to yourself. I wanted a conversation without the brands you listed. Read everybody else's comments and that's what I expected. Now read yours and see how big of a phucking asshole you were.

As I expected, you can't give a suggestion of what YOU feed. Because you don't have a single dog LOL. Get off the internet playing make believe little boy. People who actually have dogs don't pay attention to make believers like yourself.

Best of luck to you!!

9. c_note

c_note CH Dog

4Health Dog Food | Review | Rating | Recalls

Diamond Naturals Dog Food | Review | Rating | Recalls

The 4health performance is good to me, but like 7-8$ more than the diamond. Diamond= 40lbs 4health= 30 I think, maybe 35. If you have a meat market close check the deals. I bought 40lbs of leg quarters for 12.95+ the other week, they usually run 19. A lil kibble, a quarter or 2, and some cheap eggs like suggested. For pups, no raw chicken til they ready, but everything else with chicken broth from some boiled quarters for the adults. Or you can just keep buying the same feed and add chicken or whatever meat you can get a deal on. Lil less feed, add a lil meat. All good food doesn't have to cost $50+. EVO is the truth but I can't afford that all the time. When I can it's only enough for one dog! Do you brother and run them haters through or over!! They better put some RESPEK on it is all I know!!!! LOL

10. frogs

frogs Big Dog

Well you went there not me, so you you know what buddy, I can guarantee my animals eat better than yours. We'll leave it at that.

11. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

There's always Purina dog chow, pretty cheap. I've fed it on and off and if I didn't have 2 that have food allergies I'd probably feed it as a main diet for all of them. My dogs always looked fine on it except for the 2 with allergies. Shits like $22.00 for 50lbs. The holistics have really taken off sale wise in the last decade but go back further and no one was feeding their dogs any of that stuff, just dog chow, pedigree, sportsman's choice etc. All commercial grade feeds that dog's did fine on before the no grain craze of today.

12. treezpitz

No, you idiot, you went there. Insinuating that I wouldn't be caring for these animals properly if I changed dog food LOL.

What animals, frogs? LOL Humor me, please. You're one of the many on here that are nothing more than a internet wanna be dog man.

13. treezpitz

AGK, when I first got in dogs I fed puppy/dog chow and I didn't have any problems at all. Then I switched to Diamond and that's what I fed until I had no dogs anymore. I would go right back to regular Diamond but I just don't see that it's worth what they charge for it anymore. That's why I've been brand searching. I really like Victor and if my phone would work this morning I would call around and see what the cheapest Victor is and probably go with that but damn phone isn't working right now. I always did like Diamond but that was back in the 90s and early 2000s. Long time ago and the price was much different then lol.

14. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I feed mostly raw but have seen the time when the number of dogs increased to where it was more so about the time and inconvenience that I switched back to bag food. I use the commercial hunting type feed. Right now it is Buddy Boy 24/20. It keeps the dogs up, they look good and it is like $22 for a 50lb. bag. I mix it with the raw and use it for extra calories in the winter.

Most look down upon it. Hell, most feed the shit but claim they feed super duper organic blah blah blah.

When I was first turned onto the dogs it was Field Trial. 6 and some change for 50lbs. Still had feathers. Fill a 5gal bucket half way with Field Trial, top it with water and it would swell almost out of the bucket. The dogs were slopped the wetted food and it was in can food texture.

Those dogs ran up and down the road with the best of them.

Best of luck in your search. I have been there too. Cheap commercial food supplemented with raw is better than just cheap food. But tons of big time winning, well known dogs were/are fed crappy food. Been that way forever. Will always be that way.

S

15. treezpitz

Thanks for the tip and post, slim. I've heard about Buddy boy also, not sure if it's at our feed stores or not. I'll get out and check out the options around me more this weekend. I was thinking about doing as you say and supplementing with raw food also. I know BDB (large yard) does that and those dogs seem to look tip top all of the time.

I lol'd at "still had feather". Never had that happen but could imagine it.

16. treezpitz

I appreciate everyones input on what they feed or have fed. I know food changes by the month it seems and I was looking for brands or formulas that may not be all that popular but are keeping your yard healthy and happy and I appreciate the comments. Well, all except for you know who LOL.

17. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

One thing I can say is I habe never tried the grain free yet.I like the Diamond Naturals because the grain is a rice and it just seems rice is much easier for a dog to break down.

18. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

19. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Ol Roy brown bag or Retriever green bag

20. treezpitz

Yea, bama, that's how the Victor is. Similar to the naturals in a lot of ways. I'll check into the river run and see if it's local. Thanks for the link.