1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

She has Cancer!

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Bahamian, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shameless

Shameless Big Dog

What I'm confused about is what took this vet so long to diagnose it as an abscess? As Buck was saying above they generally aren't to hard to treat, usually drain and treat with antibiotics. I've never had an abscess lead to death in my horses, dogs, cats, or goats. I'm not a vet, but by the way it has spread I don't think there will be a lot of hope unless you can drain it, flush the wound, keep it clean and give her the antibiotics. I'm sorry that your vets are so crappy there! That must be terrible.

2. Bahamian

Bahamian Pup

Shameless,

It took long for the abcess diagnosis because when he first did the biopsy of it; it was a hard mass. The biopsy then had to be sent to a lab in America and the results took about 10 days to return.

3. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

The only risk is blood poisoning if its an abscess and the American dollar size X opening you cut (with a scalpel)that's an X no bigger than you could cover with a silver U.S. dollar and it can breath and heal but you need antibiotics and the spray to keep it clean and some one said no alcohol cause it dries out the skin. You should mix peroxide and Warm (not)distilled "bottled" water 50/50 and take the needle less syringe and clean out with warm water peroxide solution...(no hotter than you would put in your own ear!!)....you get the idea, ask your vet to help you! maybe your steady hands with help His drunk a$$, and keep the repeat visits down $$$$. the cancer if its that Bad and she is suffering Please put her down!:( no need for suffering. You be the judge!

We know you care for her!
    ;)

4. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Good luck! We've got our fingers crossed for you here!

5. Bahamian

Bahamian Pup

Ok guys, here is what I did for Zora.

After my research I came up with two antibiotics to use together. They are metronidazole (flagyl) and augmentin.

This morning I gave her 1000mg of flagyl and 300mg of augmentin will 1000ml of lactated ringers.

Tomorrow she will get 500 mg of flagyl and 300mg of augmentin. I will (hopefully) continue this for a week.

I drained the abcess and a god awful alot of fluid came out of it. And man, the scent was disgusting. I then flushed it out with a 50/50 mixture of water and peroxide (thanks Buck). The abcess went down a whole lot after this.

I also cleaned her paw, and wrapped it with fresh bandages.

All of these processes will be continued for a minimum of 1 week. If there is no improvement or she gets worse or is suffering; then I WOULD LET HER GO!

But if there is progress, I WILL SAVE MY GIRL!

Thanks everyone for all your support and help.

6. Nell_Bell

Nell_Bell Big Dog

Did you get some pain medication for her? If she is in pain, the stress of it can slow or prevent the healing process. Adequate pain management can be key to recovery.

Glad to hear she is still hanging in there! My prayers are with you.

7. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

Since you did the draining, has the dog improved any? Is the dog eating at all? Drinking any water?

8. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Good advice for sure!

9. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Yeah forgot to tell you after its grown for a while it Stanks it would clear a barn no problem when done on cattle i worked on a feed lot in Alberta for 3 yrs! abscess were an every day site when there is 50,000 beef cattle, and that's a SMALL farm too.

The paw was my main concern! having to walk on it everyday! Are you giving her pain meds?

Grad to hear it was an abssess and not somthing else but look after that paw well!

10. Bahamian

Bahamian Pup

Hi everyone,
    I've been meaning to give an update on Zora but it has been so hectic I did not have the time. The day when I statrted Zora's tratment was the same day my wife got sick with flu like symptoms. With the H1N1 scare going on I had to make sure she was ok. Thank God my wife did not have H1N1 and she is doing better now!

Anyway back to Zora. I started her tratment of Flagly and Augmentin on April 30th, 2009. The fist day she got 1000 mg of Flagyl and 300mg of augmentin intravenously with 1000ml of ringers.

The following day she got 500 mg of flagyl and 500 mg of augmentin iv with 1000 ml of ringers.

On the 3rd day she got 500 mg of flagyl and 500 mg of augmentin subcutanously with out ringers. I continued this routine for about 5 days. During this first week I also gave her 3 ml of b12.

On the second week, which was May 7th, 2009; I was giving her the flagyl orally but she was/is still getting the augmentin subcutaneously. I will continue this method until her treatment is over (along with B12 shots).

The infection that was on Zora's paw has almost completely healed up. She has lost the two outter digits but she still has the pad underneath. The blood circulation has returned and she can walk on it (with light pressure) now.

The area where the abcess was is still opened and draining a bit but it is getting smaller every day and the skin is slowly growing back.

She is now moving around with spirit and the other day she actually got up to chase the neighbors lawn mower ( she hates lawn mowers).
    Her grand daughter that is also in the yard; today she challeged her. When I saw this I knew that my baby was getting better for certain. Her bark is sill not powerfull the way it used to be but I know that will be back soon.
    I can really tell that she is feeling/ doing better by her eyes. Man, the eyes DO NOT LIE!

I started taking her on the beach this week ( she loves the beach) and will do so a few times per week. The reason I am doing this is because of the healing properties of the salt water.

I give Zora (maybe) another 2-3 weeks and she should be fully healed.

I will take some pictures to show what her paw and chest are looking like now.

Zora is my second dog (along with the one I mentioned in another post with fish poison) that I saved after the vet had given up on them. There have also been other things that I have done to/for my dogs over the years without the help of a vet. But now I think I have a talent that my creator gave me. I am now STROGLY considering going to veterinary school.

I apologize again for writing so much but I am really excited about Zora's improvement and my ability to make her better.

Again, thank you everyone for everything!

11. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I'd watch the beach till she is all healed tho infections start at the beach in dogs and humans, good to hear she's doing better!

12. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

I agree and its great to hear she is doing well.

13. Shameless

Shameless Big Dog

So glad she is doing better!

I would keep her inside as much as possible and in the cleanest environment possible. Any time there is a wound, let alone one that is still open, you should be very wary of where she goes. Good luck!

14. Nell_Bell

Nell_Bell Big Dog

You would be a great asset to your community if you became a vet!

You could probably create your own mineral bath for her by doing the same research and using a large clean tub that she could paddle around in or put a portable whirlpool in one. The swimming/soaking is probably what is restoring the circulation!

Great job!

15. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

This is really great news. After the first set of pics I was having doubts. Your perseverance and her spirit have paid off for you it seems. I hope she continues to to well. Way to go...

16. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Take a hospital laundry tub! and fill it if you can get one! Its deep enough to swim for a dog this is a pic of mine but i already cut the half moon for a Whelping Box, it can easily be cleaned

http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr18/BrindleHideKennels/?action=view&current=madussa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  17. Bahamian

Bahamian Pup

Here are pics of Zora's abcess wound and her paw 3 weeks into treatment.

Zora paw 3 weeks into treatment.jpg

Zora paw 3wks into treatment next to good paw.jpg

Zora abcess wound 3 wks into treatment (pic 2).jpg

18. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Looking good to me. Bright red and healing up. I think you have done a wonderful job. Way better than the other pics.

19. Nell_Bell

Nell_Bell Big Dog

As nasty as that may look to some, i think it looks great! it looks like there is good circulation and new cell growth!

You've been doing a great job!

20. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Compare the two pics. It's amazing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.