1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

shedding?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Laced Wit Game, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

last time i checked pitbulls didnt shed too much.

my dog on the other hand sheds like crazy! i cant wear any dark colors cuz he always leavin white hairs all over. not just a few hairs, but i can literally pull his hair out with ease! this cant be normal. my female doesnt shed at all.

any ideas on whats goin on?

now im gonna do the elimination process, first is a heartworm test, if thats not it then i guess the next thing to look into would be his food?

also would him being white have anything to do with it? (sounds silly but i hear white dogs are prone to different issues)

what you guys think?

2. awol3656

awol3656 Pup

it could be his food source, if u changed his diet. say like changing to raw or premium food. the dog would blow out his coat so to speak. just a thought

3. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

yea he been sheddin for as long as i can remember now, but i just realised i can literally pull it off of him with ease!

4. awol3656

awol3656 Pup

ya if u can pull it out with ease and u get a lil bald spot, then id get him checked out. my girl is blowing out her coat rite now and i cant pull out her fur with ease. i got her on that natures select super premium food. i chopped it with you i think on another forum about it. u work in citrus heights rite?

5. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

my rbj bitch sheds, especially in the summer. I take her swimming or take her outside and brush her when i dont. idk, never had one that shed b4 her. i guess could be worse, i could have a german shepard or something

6. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

Arent you fellas about to go into winter now? All dogs regardless of breed shed a little before winter and replace a little new at the season change and then shed again with the summer change over. Well every dog ive ever owned has. you just notice it more with your inside dogs, i vacuum the cheese hounds inside chair about once a fortnight and its allways covered in it.....maybee your getn paranoid after seeing that other thread laced? Well that and maybee some of that other stuff that can make you paranoid lol.

7. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

White is just more noticable too when a dog shed, their coats very quite a bit. My bolio dogs are fine and short hair. My jeep crosses have heavy fur and shed more often than my bolio dogs. That is the Irish Setter blood showing up in my jeep dogs but that is very typical in the line of jeep I have with the shedding.

8. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

yea i get thgat they shed, but i dont think you guys can picture how much this dude is sheddin, LOL i wish i was just paranoid junk. if it was the seasons i would think my female would be doin it too! like i said she loses little strands here and there, but i can litterally pull chunks of his coat out!

ima take em into the vet today.

9. Sapper

Sapper Pup

Yea my Boy is starting to shed now since the seasons are changing, nothing major though. But if you can pull chunks out of his coat, I would have him checked out, or just give it a couple days and see if it passes and save your self a vet bill.

10. pit4ever

pit4ever Banned

how much is it to just get checked at vet?? sorry if this was out of topic.

11. Sapper

Sapper Pup

My Dr. Charges around $40 a visit, plus they charge extra for any procedures or treatments.

12. pit4ever

pit4ever Banned

thanks for the reply

13. popper

popper CH Dog

Laced are you talking about ALOT of hair when you pull? Mine get a little bit of hair loss when you pull but no bald spot. Dogs do shed though exspecially during summer.

14. Gxkon

Gxkon Big Dog

i had a white apbt i rescued and she shed a bunch all my pits shed a good bit

15. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

not like im pullin chunks out leavin balled spots, just when i grab a pinch of fur, 25% of it comes out.

to where my female, if i grab a pinch maybe a few hairs but less than 10%

16. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Couple of questions Laced.

How long have you owned this dog (Since birth/purchase age/shipped recently etc.) How old is he?

Have there been any changes in the dogs routine lately.(New dog/baby/living arrangements etc.)

Have you changed food recently (kibble/raw etc.) been to any new places.

Changed cleaner, laundry soap...

These are all questions your Vet should ask you, and more. \

Is there anything that has happened recently that could have stressed out your dog.

When you pull the hair out, does it leave bald or thin spots, what is the condition of the dogs skin (dandruff, bumps, raw spots.)

APBT's do shed, more dramatically with the changing seasons, but not like long haired/double coated dogs. If this is a new situation a Vet visit is definitely in order, but if this guy has always shed this way, it could just be the way he is...

17. Chump

Chump Banned

Foliculitis is a common reason for dogs to lose their hair at a faster rate. It can be caused by ringworm, bacteria, domedex, candida.... and occasionally allergies. I think that about covers it. The vet can scrape it and scope it. They have to do a fungal culture to look for ringworm.

18. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

he's always lost a lot of hair, i just heard it could be a sign of heart worm so now my minds playin tricks on me.

19. popper

popper CH Dog

is he wheezing? not as active? i still thinks these dogs with heartworms willl still act normal as far asenergy levels

20. blackbisquit

blackbisquit Banned

in our counrty i use deli c 6. (its homiophatic:confused::confused:) bud got no idee what it called in englisch hahaha sorry...
    indeed maybe food.. bud it can allso be just the wetter maybe they get there winter coat. i have white dogs and they are terrible whit there hairs.. hate it on black indeed , and my stairs is black so a vacumm myzelf grazy on it hahaha hate it big time.

all the best