1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

should i be scared??

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by bam-bam's mom, Aug 2, 2005.

1. bam-bam's mom

bam-bam's mom Big Dog

any one got a pit puppy if we can't do this??? we are a poor family so i couldn't afford to go to a breeder to get one for 500.00 heck even the ones for 100.00

laura

we are gonna try this.

2. jawbones

jawbones Top Dog

I can't get your web site to come up. P.M. me if the dog doesn't work out.

3. bam-bam's mom

bam-bam's mom Big Dog

oh your a doll!!! i sure did fall in love with this breed, they are so beautiful. i would love to have one that would be a good ambassador for the world of pits. i just am scared for my kids. i love my critters and family with all my heart, and i have so much love to give. this is truly the best forum for pits there is!!!
    laura

4. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

I would also suggest getting into a puppy obedience class, my mom did it w/her pup and it made a big difference. She did the clicker training thing, and it works way better than treats..the clicker is just used for when the pup does something good u click it, then give a treat..the clicking is just signaling the dog that it will be getting a treat, because sometimes u can't give treats fast enough and your dog gets confused..at first i thought it was a joke, but i tried it w/my mom w/her pup and it was awesome..good luck either way.

5. RHI

RHI Big Dog

I myself, was specifically talking about socialization, not training methods....it actually does'nt matter where you take him, could be in front of a store or ? for that matter...also, have never had a problem with dogs being baited at shows or any confusion.....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2005
  6. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Just remember humans give dogs affection to satisfy their craving for love, the only time you should give the dog affection is when he is in a calm submissive state of mind, when he gives your husband that look, dont talk to him or cuddle with him right away, this reinforces that state of mind like Mia said, when he acts that way he should immediately be put into his place as a subordinate pack member "BY YOUR HUSBAND"(by grabbing him and rolling him onto his back if needed or using a lead to correct him) and when he gets excited to play or go for a walk and you get excited too and let him go nuts, the first natural response from a human is to say oh how cute and talk to him and pet him with happy praises, and share that excitement with him, this reinforces the minds thought that when he gets excited he will get attention, dogs do not need attention all the time, they need it when they deserve it, a dog must work for his attention, by allowing him to act the way he does is reinforcing his habits with out you even knowing it...dogs can sense all kinds of human emotions, happiness,fear,sadness,even pain...so when he is happy and excited and you return those feelings at the wrong moment he learns to do it that way...like he has every other time from your other emotions, what I suggest is to crate him for a good day or 2, of course take him out for play time/potty and socialization time but keep him in there and have your husbad be the only one to feed walk and play with him etc, then in a couple days he will accept his position in the pack, just remember you are the source of his actions, if you act strict and stern and do not give affection until he bellies up or at least calms down and relaxes in a submissive state he soon will realize thats what he must do to get attention and affection...the biggest problem it seems to me is the way he acts around your husband, so make sure your hubby is gentle with him if he has to roll him over on his back or scold him, simply have your husband grab his legs lie him down gently and stand over him for about 10 seconds, this will soon show him whos dominate. Then after he shows submissive actions you can give him all the lovin you want....but never allow even the slightest slip, even if he looks at your husband or kids funny he needs corrected, dogs bite each other to correct each other in nature so dont think its cruel to over power him and show him whos boss..of course in a gentle way, never hit him etc just dont let him read your emotions to the point where he takes control.... you need to read his and keep the control.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2005
  7. GaDog

GaDog Big Dog

Gosh it all most hurt to have so much agreement with mrdogman. But to almost 100% I agree with him. But I would also say for my part if you feel fear for your kids safety at anytime lose the dog and try again later.

8. bam-bam's mom

bam-bam's mom Big Dog

well i got hubby to read this yesterday. and he took a much bigger role last night with him. and guess who wanted to keep putting his muzzle to my hubbys mouth?? hehe i didn't hold him the whole time i was home, and hubby took him to go potty and give treats. it was a small start but bam bam actually seemed relaxed around him!!! i had the kids come sit in my lap and i kissed them all over with bam-bam on the floor and he seemed a lil anxious at first but after a few minutes of my playing with them he seemed ok and layed down at my feet to chew his pig ear. so when i got done loving on them, and i made them stay with me about 30 minutes, i took him for a jog and when we came back he was ready to go lay down and relax. so mabey i was trying so hard to make him feel safe and at home that i was way over doing it. i have classes lined up in 2 weeks for him and me to go threw. thanks so much for helping get us on the right path!!! we are going to continue to act upon your suggestions and hopefully he can stay with us forever!! last night was a great night and full of so much promise. i don't think i could say thank ya'll enough!!!!

laura

9. I am glad to hear you are implementing our suggestions and they are working for you. Here are other training suggestions:

Feeding: Do not allow your puppy to start eating until you (or husband) tell him it is ok. Have him in the "sit" position while you pour the food in his bowl. Next, place it in front of him (he will immediately attempt to eat) but do not allow him to feed. Give him a firm NO and instruct him to sit. He will probably be wagging his tail franticly by this point. Wait a few seconds (around 15 seconds) and give the command "eat". This exercise should only take the pup a few days to master. Also, pull his bowl occasionally (after he has mastered waiting for the "eat" command) to make sure he does not become food protective when he matures (kids may attempt to take food away from him in the future!<kids will be kids>)

Walking beside you not in front of you: when on your walks with Bambam, get a long leash and start walking with him. Position him on the inside of the street (by your side and start walking). He will begin to walk in front of you. Allow him to walk up to 5 feet away from you before stopping and recalling him to your side. He should come back to you (it may take a few seconds) but do not over repeat your command. It should take no more than two or three attempts before he comes to you. Once he does come back, shorten the leash enough that he cannot go ahead of you. Do this for a while (a block). Again, repeat the first step. The purpose of this exercise is to make sure that when he is fully grown, he does not pull the walker. Rather, walk beside the walker at all times.

One other thing I want to bring up is that according to your original post, the pup was rescued from a yard with plenty of chained dogs. This could mean (but not necessarily) that he is from fighting lines. Therefore, you will need to do as much socializing with animals as possible. Really. This will not remove the threat of dog aggression but will increase (possibly) his tolerance for other dogs once he has matured. Remember animal aggression is very different from people aggression. A fact. Once he is older (around 1 1/2 years), you must be very careful with him around other dogs and animals in general. Again, I am only telling you this b/c of the possibility of his family coming from fighting lines.

If you can, please post a picture of the pup for us to see. We love this breed and enjoy the pictures. Feel free to view mine and where my pup sleeps. Well, he is not a pup anymore but I love him just the same.

10. GaDog

GaDog Big Dog

I do not believe myself to be wrong when saying that responsible ownership requires the training of the dag and sometimes the training of the owner. I too am glad you are willing to train your dog and yourself. Do not be affraid to call in a proffesional that is qualified to train the bullies, not all know how to handle a strong minded dog.

11. bam-bam's mom

bam-bam's mom Big Dog

so i shouldn't keep food out for him all the time? i have been just keeping a bowl out full of feed all the time. my hubby refills it when it is empty but usually the kids feed him. so i will start just feeding him a lil at a time and getting hubby to do the sit thing like you said.

12. NO. Do not leave food out for him at all times. This is not a very good idea for several reasons.
    He should have (as kids do <sometimes>) an eating routine. This will help him (and you) avoid accidents in the house. In addition, he is still a pup, thus, should be fed more than it will be once matured. Follow puppy food guidelines (usually on package). This will improve its chances to develop to the best of its genetics. The other reason leaving food out at all times is that it may attract rodents, bugs and will stale the food. Not a good idea.