1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Showing aggression

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Amir, Jan 13, 2013.

1. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

All I can say is feed him,and when you do take his food away at random times and if he don't like it,give him a tune up.If he don't stop it,I see one other alternative so time for some tough love,lol

2. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Free feeding could cause that.

3. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I have never been bit by any of mine either .. I also believe in socializing pups and teaching them basic fundamentals to prevent any issues later on. Just because you have never had to deal with resource guarding doesn't mean this doesn't occur the Op's dog is resource guarding it's food and if not not corrected this dog will become a huge liability later on. A solution to a problem is not to ignore the problem you do something about it. There are things you can do to prevent these things from happening later on it starts from the time the pup comes home. Just because neither of us have had dogs resource guard their food from us doesn't mean it doesn't happen with these dogs and when it does you correct it. If you take a few minutes out of your day to spend some time with them as pups and get them acquainted with you placing their food down and taking it, or putting your hands in their bowl, and even making them sit before you place the bowl down for them to eat .. you can greatly reduce your chances of having the problems the OP is having now. The older they get and harder it becomes to correct it. Like GH said tune up, tough love, or you will be looking at one other alternative and well we know what that means for this dog.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2013
  4. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I have always free fed litters of pups..they have plenty of feed and never fought over it..I can take a bone away from any of my dogs or food.I dont know if thier is a clear answer why some dogs do this.

5. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Just asking though, how long do you keep the liter together and how long do you keep the food out?

6. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I keep them together as long as I can..I feed pups twice a day..I got to work at 7 so I get up about 3.30 or 4 put out more feed than they can eat and let them have at it.And I do the same at 4 in the evening.If they eat everything I put down at 4 in the evening I will put more down.And let me tell you 7 or 8 puppies can eat plenty even at 6 weeks old.

7. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I go through alotttt of puppy food..Alot..

8. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

It sounds like the OP has an older dog that was free fed after leaving the mother. THis is what I am talking about, a dog that is used to eating as he pleases will get pissed off when he has to follow a schedule. Also, if the dog's food is in the middle of everything, the dog will tend to want to protect it from other people or other animals. When a dog is brought to the new home after leaving the mom and it is put in a strict feeding schedule, the dog has no time to develop these behaviors. The dog understands what feeding time is and he doesn't have the food laying around long enough to develop that behavior.

I have an intact almost 4 year old 75 pound male dog that is fed once a day. While I prepare his food he cries because he wants to eat, I send him to this bed and then I release him to eat. My cats walk by and I even reach in to put lost kibble back in his bowl and he has never shown an ounce of aggression, but I never free fed him since I got him at 8 weeks.

9. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

David we dont know what happened during the time the pup spent with his littermates.Could thier have been a more dominant pup that he had to fight for food?.so maybe he didnt get what he needed?maybe possibly..you never know.

10. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Makes sense as well, there are too many variables. All I know is that I would never feed a dog that can't be woken up, or that guards anything.

11. Amir

Amir Pup

The advice received from botht sides of the isle are valid points to consider; too many variables to consider. I want to give this dog every chance to succeed before rendering a verdict on his future. Bottom line, I need to be able to trust him around family/friends. I've always believed that if you're afriad of your own dog, then you don't have any business owning him. What that said, I'll continue to work with him on improving his behavior a while longer. But time is running out. Thank you all for your input.

12. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Yes this is very true you have too much at risk a dog can't be a lability to it's own family. It has to at bare minimum respect it's owner and family. And this breed should be good with people in general. Just keeping working with him and stay on him do not be afraid to put your foot in his little behind when he get's out of line. I don't mean beat the shit out of him I mean use some force to get him to understand what he's doing is not ok. Sometimes it don't take a lot these dogs get the message quickly.

13. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

if you dont mind me asking how is the pup bred

14. Amir

Amir Pup

15. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I know of the kennel you got the dog from and the kennel your pup's sire is from ... I am pretty sure both of the owners of the kennels are members here....

16. smithy

smithy Big Dog

If nothing works a man biter should not be tolerated.

17. I can tell.you that the pups from this.litter didn't fight over the food. They weren't taken from the mom early. They were cared for properly in every aspect.

18. Amir

Amir Pup

Update. It hasn't been easy getting him to understand not to guard his food. Growled and bit me a few times; sacry since he is 45lbs with a mouth full of shine new teeth. I used leather gloves to protect my hands, kept my face at a distance, & had him tied down. After a month of hand feeding twice a day with plently of praise and stroking, it looks like he has turned the corner; he is no longer resource guarding his food. Thank you all for your advice.

19. Try teach him to leave the food when ever you say..my pit bull buzo leaves the food when said so and waits for me to say eat.... i say him to leave pick up the vessel put my hand in it and every thing i can do.. n he have no guts to speak a single noise at that time. If he ignores me he is pinned on the ground..... same was with my last dog which was a beagle.... and same is with a german sheperd owned by my frnd

20. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

yay congrats I am very happy for both of you good work!