1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Skinny Puppy. Tight Budget

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by rajennn, Jan 7, 2010.

1. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

hes coming to 4 months now. i am feeding him orijen puppy but still he is not putting any weight on. but for some reason when i feed raw he does. vet reccomended i do not feed raw. and said if i keep fixed diet he will gain weight but still he has not. what options do i have to make my puppy gain weight fast without it costing me too much. i will attach some pics of him. also i have fed him raw and havent wormed him ever since. could he have worms again?

Attached Files:

2. synno2004

synno2004 Top Dog

I dont see any ribs, he goods healthy to me. Good luck with him.

3. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

its hard to capture. but hes very long and skinny. you can she his shoullder bones at times. no matter how much i feed he dont put on weight

4. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

He dosen't look too skinny to me, he looks healthy. But the best way I have found to put some extra weight fast on a dog is feed tripe a couple times a week in addition to what your already feeding him.

5. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

fresh tripe? is that fed raw? also does feeding raw give worms

6. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

your pup looks fine from what I see. If you can see alot of hips and spine when he is just standing then he maybe under weight.

Feeding raw is fine. there are a ton of threads on here you should check out. Some vets are off in left feild when it comes to what are dogs should look like. They tried to tell me my boy Bishop was underweight and he was on point. as long as you dont see hips and spine your are good as far as i'm concerned. a lil ribs is fine. JMO

Vic

7. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

I really like his color and markings good luck with him.

Vic

8. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Like TheVictor22 said, raw is absolutely fine for dogs. Don't listen to vets when it comes to feeding dogs, they don't know jack. My old vet recommended feeding my GSD Nutro... she's now on raw and Natural Balance for her coat.

9. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

the guy i brought him off advised me to boil meat. as if i was to feed raw, my puppy would get worms. and on some of the forums here it says raw is best. im just confused what to do :confused:

10. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

thanks vic :)

11. AGK

Dogs have worms no matter how much you worm them. Worms migrate to the muscles of their host and go dormant for whatever reason untill the right conditions occur for them to become active again, hense why you have to regularly worm your dogs. I feed primarily Taste of the Wild Prarrie Blend but I regularly give them raw beef, and chicken as well, any game I have in my freezer and I want to get rid of. I have not feed raw tripe yet only because I can get it at my feed mill in a can already blended up. I just put half a can in my dogs food 3 times a week and they will put weight on pretty quickly. ;)

On a side note: The bitch on my avatar had a litter of pups about 2 months before that picture was taken.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2010
  12. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Get meat from a butcher. If you're really concerned about your dog catching something from the meat, freeze it first, then thaw and feed. If your dog gets sick from raw easily, start by feeding the meat cooked, then transition to completely raw over a few weeks/months. A dog's intestine is much more designed to digest raw meat than a human's, as well as not being bothered by various 'bad things' in the raw food.

13. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

sounds good, i will do that for sure thanks agk

14. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

yes by feeding raw he gains weight faster. hes fine with raw. eats it all up. but becuse some people said yes and some said no i was confused weather or not raw is good or not

15. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Ah well... that's really a decision for you to make on your own. Technically there really isn't anything BAD about feeding raw. I see no problem with it unless you have your own personal reasons; you can always look up the straight facts as opposed to opinions :) good luck though!

16. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

yes raw is what hell be getting 3 times a week now that i know its good for him :D

17. AGK

Here is a good start if your interested in feeding a raw diet:

http://www.hare-today.com/

I don't nor can I, feed a strickly a raw diet, I simply don't have the freezer space to do it where it won't be such a pain in the ass for multiple dogs as of yet, so I feed it when I can, but kibble for now, is their main diet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2010
  18. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

unfortunately i am from the uk so i cannot purchase the raw meats sold on that site but i will sure use it as a guide. thanks again

19. roobs

roobs Pup

raw is fine, feed him brisket if you want him fat. but he looks fine. i would just keep him how he is.

20. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

i don want him fat, just want to put a little weight on him. can i feed brisket raw as it is a tough meat